Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3396 posts
535 upvotes
Hamilton

Need 8hr Continuous Recording

I'm looking for a camera that will record at least 8 hours of continuous video. I need it to record manufacturing equipment over an extended period of time to review later. Its a temporary thing, I don't need to setup a permanent security type of camera or anything. It will be clamped to a machine and only used for troubleshooting purposes. Taking pictures with it is not a feature that will be used, strictly video.

I realize first step is to buy a big enough memory card, but I need to make sure the camera can run off external power as well as run until there is no memory left. My first thought was a gopro (just because of the name) but can the Hero7 White run off external power? I haven't been able to find that info online. Or would a dedicated video camera like the Canon VIXIA HF R800 be better?

Any other suggestions?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1237 posts
903 upvotes
Montreal
GoPro with a large external power bank (20,000) should be enough with. You would need a 128 micro SD card if you want 8 hours in 1080P/24 as it records at 3MB/second at that resolution

Cameras like the Vixia come with an AC cable so they have no problem recording 8 hours. As for memory card, it depends on the bitrate of the camera.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3396 posts
535 upvotes
Hamilton
thanks for the response, I just need to figure out with the Hero7 White can run on AC (it doesn't have a removable battery)
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2660 posts
708 upvotes
You just need a usb charger to plug in. It uses USB C for power. Any USB C to A cable will do.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
710 upvotes
Waterloo
adblink182 wrote: I'm looking for a camera that will record at least 8 hours of continuous video. I need it to record manufacturing equipment over an extended period of time to review later. Its a temporary thing, I don't need to setup a permanent security type of camera or anything. It will be clamped to a machine and only used for troubleshooting purposes. Taking pictures with it is not a feature that will be used, strictly video.

I realize first step is to buy a big enough memory card, but I need to make sure the camera can run off external power as well as run until there is no memory left. My first thought was a gopro (just because of the name) but can the Hero7 White run off external power? I haven't been able to find that info online. Or would a dedicated video camera like the Canon VIXIA HF R800 be better?

Any other suggestions?
you prolly want a higher frame rate such as 60fps or 120fps.
----
Pay it forward.