2. What is an ideal size for a 3000 sq ft home, plus basement
3. What is the average cost?

TIA
5 replies
Banned
Jul 24, 2017
49 posts
27 upvotes
Acheewawa wrote: I'm in the market for an AC unit for a new home and have some questions:

1. What is a good, high quality brand?

if you're in kitchener i'd definitely call Rob or Tim @ Overland RNC.
They are out of kitchener but i use them in hamilton.
Not sure the size or price for a house that big. i've purchased 1.5Ton units from them for 1500sq townhouses.
carrier, payne, lennox and goodman brands are all pretty good. goodman will be your cheapest. they have good warranties and are assembled in the USA.
when i was speaking to the installation tech he said they barely get service calls for the goodman units.

just a little feedback on the type of company they are. i emailed rob @ 2pm on a hot sunday afternoon and asked him if he could send a tech out to one of my rentals the next day to change the dead thermostat.
emailed him back an hour after after watching some youtube videos and figured i could do it myself.
he replied back about an hour later giving me advice on how to do it myself and to call him the next day if i needed any help and to let him know how i made out.
i'll buy all my replacement equipment from them in the future.

TIA
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36153 posts
9416 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Acheewawa wrote: I'm in the market for an AC unit for a new home and have some questions:

1. What is a good, high quality brand?

TIA
The local favorite is Craig Newhouse. There is a group buy for air conditioners that ended in June. It is done every year. If you already took possession, you can still call Craig and get a unit.

For your size house, you're looking at a 3 tonne unit. American Standard is what people are buying as they are rated highly on Consumer Reports. But I agree with @dmangan, they're basically all the same. An air conditioner is a simple machine, coils, compressor and fan.

I've used Craig and so has many other members, he is honest and reliable.
Last edited by Gee on Aug 2nd, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
Gee wrote: The local favorite is Craig Newhouse. There is a group buy for air conditioners that ended in June. It is done every year. If you already took possession, you can still call Craig and get a unit.

For your size house, you're looking at a 3 tonne unit. American Standard is what people are buying as they are rated highly on Consumer Reports. But I agree @dmangan, they're basically all the same. An air conditioner is a simple machine, coils, compressor and fan.

+1.....I don't know why people don't use the search function.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
This same damn question is asked at least 6 times every spring/summer. Should be a perma-ban.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
688 posts
253 upvotes
Ontario
Gee wrote: The local favorite is Craig Newhouse. There is a group buy for air conditioners that ended in June. It is done every year. If you already took possession, you can still call Craig and get a unit.

For your size house, you're looking at a 3 tonne unit. American Standard is what people are buying as they are rated highly on Consumer Reports. But I agree with @dmangan, they're basically all the same. An air conditioner is a simple machine, coils, compressor and fan.

Thanks!