Home & Garden

Need advice - Black particles in hot water tank

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2020 5:44 pm
Nov 22, 2004
583 posts
379 upvotes

Need advice - Black particles in hot water tank

We started to notice black particles in our hot water a couple of months ago. Last week I drained the hot water tank (2 year old power vented tank), filled it a bit and drained again to find a lot of particles come out (black and light brown - see photo). I did this a few times until water was clear, but a week later, again black particles in our water. I've drained it again today with same results (the photo is actually from today).

The particles sometimes would cling to surfaces like the sink basin and when we try to wipe it off, it leaves a black smear that is hard to wash off (soap isn't effective). Does anyone know what this is? Is it mainly carbon or disintegrating rubber/plastic? There are no flex piping entering or leaving the water tank.

Thanks for any information or advice.

EDIT: noticed that tank has label saying "Hydrojet" system. It is supposed to reduce sediment buildup by thoroughly mixing incoming water.

Here's a higher res image: black_particles.jpg
Images
  • black_particles.jpg
Last edited by puckhead on Nov 24th, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Nov 22, 2004
583 posts
379 upvotes
tsatsa wrote: What kind of connector is on your tank to the water lines?
Looks like standard brass/copper piping. There are no flex connectors / piping of any kind anywhere near the tank.
Last edited by puckhead on Nov 24th, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 15, 2020
34 posts
15 upvotes
Tilbury Ontario
I have a 4 year old power vent and had similar black particles come out. Right or wrong but I concluded its the paint coating from inside the the water tank.

Edit.. After reading again. The black stuff I was experiencing was when I flushed water from the tank into 5 gallons buckets. I never experienced this coming through the tap... I wonder if the Anti Scald Valve could be internally breaking up??? But I have no idea if that is even possible?
Nov 22, 2004
583 posts
379 upvotes
littlebigguy wrote: Edit.. After reading again. The black stuff I was experiencing was when I flushed water from the tank into 5 gallons buckets. I never experienced this coming through the tap... I wonder if the Anti Scald Valve could be internally breaking up??? But I have no idea if that is even possible?
Thanks for reply. I noticed a "Hydrojet" label on the tank and looked it up. It is supposed to have upper and lower water ports that helps mix and stirs the water and reduce sediment buildup. Maybe that is why we are seeing it in our tap water while others see it during a cleaning flush like this video at 6:13

Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
OP - are you on a well or municipal water? The two things I would suspect would be magnesium sulfide or some form of iron in the water OR it's something made of rubber breaking down somewhere in your line - a washer, hose, or check valve, etc. If it's magnesium sulfide, I would suspect a contributing factor is the anode rod (which is undoubtedly magnesium) if this is only in your hot water. I switched to an aluminum anode rod and the problem went away.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Nov 22, 2004
583 posts
379 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: OP - are you on a well or municipal water? The two things I would suspect would be magnesium sulfide or some form of iron in the water OR it's something made of rubber breaking down somewhere in your line - a washer, hose, or check valve, etc. If it's magnesium sulfide, I would suspect a contributing factor is the anode rod (which is undoubtedly magnesium) if this is only in your hot water. I switched to an aluminum anode rod and the problem went away.
Municipal.

Thanks for the information. I was looking into the anode rod possibility too so thanks for giving me the confidence to pursue this possible fix. Looks like it is located in the hot water outlet (Bradford White)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)