Automotive

NEED AN ADVICE!!! car maintenance question!!!!!!!

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2015 9:03 pm
[OP]
May 9, 2011
5 posts
Toronto

NEED AN ADVICE!!! car maintenance question!!!!!!!

hi, first of all, thanks for reading!

So i have this sports car which i don't drive for the winter time. (but i keep my car charged, so the battery is healthy).
So this year, when I called the dealership service advisor, they told me I need to schedule a major maintenance for my car. (he said it includes like everything. i don't remember exactly what they are, but there are a bunch of stuff).

Because it costs like $1100+ plus tax, so my question is: is this really necessary?
Or can I just do maintenances individually like oil change, make sure tire pressure is correct, etc.....

IF the major maintenance is NOT required, then what are the necessary repairs/maintenances I should take my car in for, before driving it.

My main concern is SAFETY! so if spending $1100+ is mandatory, then I'll do that. But I don't want to get ripped off spending money that is not necessary.

Thanks whoever is reading this and willing to help by answering my questions!!!!!!!!!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3934 posts
1064 upvotes
Toronto
well....no point posting here if you do not tell us what car model it is and how many kms on the odometer.....we cant really judge without those info
jan3mk wrote: hi, first of all, thanks for reading!

So i have this sports car which i don't drive for the winter time. (but i keep my car charged, so the battery is healthy).
So this year, when I called the dealership service advisor, they told me I need to schedule a major maintenance for my car. (he said it includes like everything. i don't remember exactly what they are, but there are a bunch of stuff).

Because it costs like $1100+ plus tax, so my question is: is this really necessary?
Or can I just do maintenances individually like oil change, make sure tire pressure is correct, etc.....

IF the major maintenance is NOT required, then what are the necessary repairs/maintenances I should take my car in for, before driving it.

My main concern is SAFETY! so if spending $1100+ is mandatory, then I'll do that. But I don't want to get ripped off spending money that is not necessary.

Thanks whoever is reading this and willing to help by answering my questions!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
the service advisor gets paid a percentage of that $1100. make an appointment, and dont show up lol
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2625 posts
682 upvotes
Ottawa
You're most likely going to ripped off. What service code is being displayed now? It should be a letter and a number..A13 for example.

What car?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes

Without sounding too discourteous, your post reads like someone who has very little automotive knowledge or any mechanical know-how? Also, with so much ambiguity, it is very hard to provide any realistic input/advice to your query. May I suggest to grab some basic ebooks or even printed books and learn the basics on auto care/mechanics.? It will save you a lot of money and unnecessary work as provided by dealerships or anyone else.
Aug 5, 2012
690 posts
550 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
More details on the car needed !
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto, ON

major maintenance that cost over 1100...did the service advisor atleast give you a list of things that will be done for the car?

otherwise if you just agree you may overpay for simple stuff like oil change, brake service, brake fluid etc which should nowhere be close to 1000

unless they;re replacing actual parts...i dont see how it can cost over a grand
PM if you have ANY questions about zoomers wireless
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2576 posts
1321 upvotes
Hometown
Is it a McLaren? For a service over a grand someone better be getting multiple happy endings...
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15091 posts
11831 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Nissan GTR

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
Low post count, vague OP, don't even know last service date. Wth...
Feb 24, 2004
389 posts
133 upvotes
All u need is an oil change if it was stored indoors. Otherwise u may need brakes and rotors if they
are rusted.

Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
It all depends on the the mileage and the type of vehicle.
Does the timing belt need to be changed?(assuming it doesn't have a chain)
Shocks, struts, belts, pulleys, transmission fluid (if auto)..etc...
The cost could quickly add up, but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done.
Better to do the pro-active maintenance, than only react when something goes wrong.
Not to mention, that you might find yourself stranded on the side of a busy highway with cars passing you at some 100 km/h or faster, while you are standing still only few feet away...throw darkness or bad weather conditions into the mix and you have yourself the safety issue, which you were so worried about..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5892 posts
5067 upvotes
Oakville, ON
$1,100 in maintenance for a Corolla sports car is a rip-off, but for a Porsche 911 maybe it's reasonable.

!!!!!!