Home & Garden

Need advice regarding Builder Upgrades (Builder Price list included)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 4:58 pm
[OP]
Apr 6, 2012
198 posts
76 upvotes

Need advice regarding Builder Upgrades (Builder Price list included)

Reading tons of posts on redflagdeals regarding upgrades through builders helped me to come up with the list of things that I believe should be upgraded through builder which may be time consuming and expensive afterwards. I've decor appointment in few weeks and I received my upgrade price list. I need advise based on the prices if the things I’ve chosen are appropriate or if there is anything that I should get it done after closing or through the builder. I've attached the link for upgrades' pricing, included features that comes as builder’s standard, and floor plan. I plan to live in this house for at least 5-8 years. I won’t be in a rush to move in the house on closing date and I will be able to spare 20-30 days after closing to complete upgrading things. I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Upgrade price list: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9O_3O ... E1KT3V6UGs
Floor plan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9O_3O ... WpkVGlhNk0
Builder's standard: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9O_3O ... Wg2WUVWQVk

Things that I have in my mind to upgrade are as under:

1. Oak Stairs ($4993) + level 2 Upgraded posts ($740) + Level 2 handrail ($574) + level 4 metal pickets ($3225) + Stain ($1600). I may consider wood level 2 pickets ($1079) as metal pickets are expensive

2. Security alarm rough in ($450)

3. Move vacuum rough in to garage ($269)

4. Vacuum dust pan ($278)

5. Vacuum rough in extra inlet in kitchen ($65)

6. Additional exterior standard coach light ($209). I'll need to add 2 (1 next to main entrance) and 1 at the end corner of porch.

7. Under cabinet lighting with switch ($850)

8. 5 Speaker surround sound rough rough in ($307/each). I'm not sure if *each is the pricing for each speaker connection. If that is the case, total should be $307x5 which is very costly. I may not consider it.

9. Cat6 wiring ($148 each). I am interested in having them to various exterior locations for video surveillance. What locations on exterior should I get Cat6 installed?

10. Conduit from basement to attic ($204)

11. Fireplace level 3 stone mantel ($2592)

12. Fireplace fan kit ($405)

13. Fireplace type 4 stone hearth ($595)

14. Fireplace 3 piece marble surround ($495)

15. Increase size of stove vent to 8” diameter ($366)

16. Gas line for exterior BBQ ($520)

17. Gas piping rough in capped line on 2nd floor laundry room along with electric outlet ($736)

18. Gas line at stove location including 120v outlet ($665)

19. Increase gas line size to 1” ($607)

20. Smooth celings throughout ($3700)

21. Safe n sound insulation ($2/sq.feet). Interested in getting it done only in ceilings between floors. I don’t need it between walls of rooms.

22. Add insulation on exterior wall in garage ($1700 each). Not sure how many walls is considered exterior wall based on my plan which may need insulation). I will confirm with the decor consultant.

23. Upgrade all main floor doors to 8 feet ($300 each)

24. Frameless shower door in 3 bathrooms ($1881 each)

25. Increase height of vanity to 36” ($ 416 )

26. Install slow close cabinets in kitchen ($1649 lump sum)

27. 3 piece plumbing rough in basement ($1300)

28. Plywood subfloors ($3795)

29. Upgrade an existing standard window to 30 x 24 ($450). I believe it is for basement. Rear windows in
the basement come in 48” x 24” size.

30. Water line for fridge ($247)

31. Install bench in shower ($790)

32. Install 200 amp service ($1100)

33. Install 3 way switch in foyer and stairs ( $157 each)

34. Water softener rough in ( $573)

35 exterior patio French double doors instead of sliding door ($1170)

36. Level 3 trim package ($6554) (Will my baseboard and casing get damaged during hardwood installation after closing? If so Should I avoid choosing trim upgrade?

37. Upgrade tiles depending on what we end up liking ($$$$). Builder charges $5/sqft to $25/sqft depending on the level of tiles). According to my rough calculation, tiled area on the main floor is about 480 sqft and on the 2nd floor it is 260 sqft which doesn’t include shower and tub walls or ceilings. I was interested in having tiles in the main floor hallway (Between foyer and kitchen) but the price to have it in lieu of carpet is ridiculous ($205/sqft).

38. Upgrade cabinets as per what we end up liking + Addition of bank of drawers +pot pans + deep pantry + Recycle/waste bins etc.($$$$$).

39. Should I get 1 pot light in each room that way it will be easy to have switch and wires in place for adding additional pot lights? (The cost through builder is $255 to $338 depending on the location)

40. 8" crown moulding: $14/linear sqft.

41. Valance under cabinet ($922 lump sum):

42. Paint valance($922 lump sum)

43. Paint crown moulding ($2100 lump sum). Anyway to reduce the price for valance/crown moulding? Should I try to obtain crown moulding and under cabinet valance from the cabinetmakers later?

44. Reinforce wall for TV installation in family room ($139)

45. Additional Electrical plugs (Outlets) where needed ($150 each)

Things that I am considering to upgrade after closing:

1. Hardwood floor
2. Countertops I’ll change from laminate to quartz or granite + undermount sink.
3. Pot lights
4. Light fixtures
5. Hardware
6. Chimney style range hood
7. Back splash
8 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9758 posts
4120 upvotes
Ottawa
That's a nice floorplan actually. The only thing i don't like is the closet at the entrance. I like to see out the back of the house as you walk in the door.

Anyways these price lists always make me vomit a little in my mouth. Ask them how much to upgrade to the lube package so its easier on your ass while you're paying for upgrades. That's just plain extortion.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
198 posts
119 upvotes
medethic wrote: Reading tons of posts on redflagdeals regarding upgrades through builders helped me to come up with the list of things that I believe should be upgraded through builder which may be time consuming and expensive afterwards. I've decor appointment in few weeks and I received my upgrade price list. I need advise based on the prices if the things I’ve chosen are appropriate or if there is anything that I should get it done after closing or through the builder. I've attached the link for upgrades' pricing, included features that comes as builder’s standard, and floor plan. I plan to live in this house for at least 5-8 years. I won’t be in a rush to move in the house on closing date and I will be able to spare 20-30 days after closing to complete upgrading things. I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Upgrade price list: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9O_3O ... E1KT3V6UGs
Floor plan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9O_3O ... WpkVGlhNk0
Builder's standard: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9O_3O ... Wg2WUVWQVk

Things that I have in my mind to upgrade are as under:

1. Oak Stairs ($4993) + level 2 Upgraded posts ($740) + Level 2 handrail ($574) + level 4 metal pickets ($3225) + Stain ($1600). I may consider wood level 2 pickets ($1079) as metal pickets are expensive

2. Security alarm rough in ($450)

3. Move vacuum rough in to garage ($269)

4. Vacuum dust pan ($278)

5. Vacuum rough in extra inlet in kitchen ($65)

6. Additional exterior standard coach light ($209). I'll need to add 2 (1 next to main entrance) and 1 at the end corner of porch.

8. 5 Speaker surround sound rough rough in ($307/each). I'm not sure if *each is the pricing for each speaker connection. If that is the case, total should be $307x5 which is very costly. I may not consider it.

9. Cat6 wiring ($148 each). I am interested in having them to various exterior locations for video surveillance. What locations on exterior should I get Cat6 installed?

10. Conduit from basement to attic ($204)

11. Fireplace level 3 stone mantel ($2592)

12. Fireplace fan kit ($405)

13. Fireplace type 4 stone hearth ($595)

14. Fireplace 3 piece marble surround ($495)

15. Increase size of stove vent to 8” diameter ($366)

16. Gas line for exterior BBQ ($520)

17. Gas piping rough in capped line on 2nd floor laundry room along with electric outlet ($736)

18. Gas line at stove location including 120v outlet ($665)

19. Increase gas line size to 1” ($607)

21. Safe n sound insulation ($2/sq.feet). Interested in getting it done only in ceilings between floors. I don’t need it between walls of rooms.

22. Add insulation on exterior wall in garage ($1700 each). Not sure how many walls is considered exterior wall based on my plan which may need insulation). I will confirm with the decor consultant.

23. Upgrade all main floor doors to 8 feet ($300 each)

24. Frameless shower door in 3 bathrooms ($1881 each)

25. Increase height of vanity to 36” ($ 416 )

26. Install slow close cabinets in kitchen ($1649 lump sum)

27. 3 piece plumbing rough in basement ($1300)

28. Plywood subfloors ($3795)

29. Upgrade an existing standard window to 30 x 24 ($450). I believe it is for basement. Rear windows in
the basement come in 48” x 24” size.

30. Water line for fridge ($247)

31. Install bench in shower ($790)

32. Install 200 amp service ($1100)

33. Install 3 way switch in foyer and stairs ( $157 each)

34. Water softener rough in ( $573)

35 exterior patio French double doors instead of sliding door ($1170)

36. Level 3 trim package ($6554) (Will my baseboard and casing get damaged during hardwood installation after closing? If so Should I avoid choosing trim upgrade?

37. Upgrade tiles depending on what we end up liking ($$$$). Builder charges $5/sqft to $25/sqft depending on the level of tiles). According to my rough calculation, tiled area on the main floor is about 480 sqft and on the 2nd floor it is 260 sqft which doesn’t include shower and tub walls or ceilings. I was interested in having tiles in the main floor hallway (Between foyer and kitchen) but the price to have it in lieu of carpet is ridiculous ($205/sqft).

38. Upgrade cabinets as per what we end up liking + Addition of bank of drawers +pot pans + deep pantry + Recycle/waste bins etc.($$$$$).

39. Should I get 1 pot light in each room that way it will be easy to have switch and wires in place for adding additional pot lights? (The cost through builder is $255 to $338 depending on the location)

40. 8" crown moulding: $14/linear sqft.

41. Valance under cabinet ($922 lump sum):

42. Paint valance($922 lump sum)

43. Paint crown moulding ($2100 lump sum). Anyway to reduce the price for valance/crown moulding? Should I try to obtain crown moulding and under cabinet valance from the cabinetmakers later?

44. Reinforce wall for TV installation in family room ($139)

45. Additional Electrical plugs (Outlets) where needed ($150 each)

Things that I am considering to upgrade after closing:

1. Hardwood floor
2. Countertops I’ll change from laminate to quartz or granite + undermount sink.
3. Pot lights
4. Light fixtures
5. Hardware
6. Chimney style range hood
7. Back splash
I think you're right on point with the upgrades you are considering doing after the fact.
I didn;t see anything regarding an air conditioner?
If that's not included just have the builder do the rough in for the electrical and get that done yourself.
Also the shower door is a little on the high side.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15003 posts
9403 upvotes
Toronto
Agree with cas77, also, lol at a $530 mirror closet door upgrade cost.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2014 posts
1110 upvotes
The only thing I'd probably bend over for is this:
It's a ton of work if you put popcorn THEN going smooth(not sure how big your house is)

There's this which you can DIY:

I'm dizzy after seeing the stair price. Just upgrade everything else using other contractors. These prices are out of this planet.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9758 posts
4120 upvotes
Ottawa
cdndeal wrote: I think you're right on point with the upgrades you are considering doing after the fact.
I didn;t see anything regarding an air conditioner?
If that's not included just have the builder do the rough in for the electrical and get that done yourself.
Also the shower door is a little on the high side.

I personally think it's the best deal on that list assuming it's 80" custom cut tempered glass with beveled edges, not off the shelf 72" doors.

Stair upgrades are also not too bad considering the markup on other things...(other than the overpriced balusters). They're not as much money as the other stuff subbing plywood with oak for 5K. I can tell you for a fact you're looking at about $125 lin ft of you upgrade the railing to iron afterwards. Problem is wood spindles might have damaged your floors already
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Apr 6, 2012
198 posts
76 upvotes
@Cas77 LOL. I know right. It is ridiculous the amount builders charge for upgrades which costs fraction of it.

@cdndeal There is option to install AC. The price book I’ve linked to has it. But it doesn’t provide information on the brand they use. They don’t have rough in option. Their trick is to get people into buying their overpriced cheap AC by scaring them that the warranty on the wall gets void if AC is installed after closing.

@koffey For sure it is unbelievable.

@Biscayne05 Getting smooth ceiling after the fact is pain in the A$$. I am getting it through builder for sure. I’m not sure the dimension of the glass door. I’ve asked the consultant for the same.
Any suggestions if I plan to get hardwood installed after closing, is there are any changes or instruction that I need to give to the builder such as making adjustments to Nosing, baseboard, doors, etc.?
Jan 16, 2019
1 posts
@medethic
I am going the same process and wondering if you have any advise on which upgrade I should choose with the builder and which one I can do cheaper later?
Nov 8, 2019
1 posts
Toronto
Just read your long post. Hard wood, Pot light, Chimney, Light fixtures & hardware looks fine after closing. But you also mention that you are doing back splash & Quart's counter top after the closing. Is it easy to do the back splash later without any major reno.? Can you please advise me as I am also going through lot of hard time with the builder. (Mostly same things). I would greatly appreciate any advice on this matter.