Home & Garden

Need advice on tankless water heaters

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2017 2:27 pm
Aug 30, 2017
3 posts

Need advice on tankless water heaters

Hi all,

It will soon be time to replace my old tank heater, im considering replacing it with a tankless water heater and was wondering if anyone here has experience with these?

Thanks
11 replies
Sep 17, 2009
243 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Phil01 wrote: Hi all,

It will soon be time to replace my old tank heater, im considering replacing it with a tankless water heater and was wondering if anyone here has experience with these?

Thanks
I did it 8 years ago and I didn't regret. You can payoff your investment in 5-7 years. The only problem is that you have to wait for hot water come in on upper floor - during winter time, it takes ~15 sec to start hot water.
Jul 11, 2017
960 posts
1279 upvotes
I call B. S. Show me how you're paying off your investment in 5 years! A 40 gal powervent for $800 vs a tankless for $2500.
Sep 17, 2009
243 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Bella125 wrote: I call B. S. Show me how you're paying off your investment in 5 years! A 40 gal powervent for $800 vs a tankless for $2500.

I did it during 2009 when it was home rebate program. In simple math, if you save 50 $ per month x 60 months (5 years) = $3000 ..It could be some other rebate program in place but not sure. If you save just $40 (don't forget, you need warm up all the time 40 gallons of water all day long) and now multiple with 84 months (7 years), you can get saving as well.

Finally, I like tankless due to it is not taking any space in basement (you can attach it on the wall).

We are here exchange information and if something is BS, let it other make that decision.

By the way, I used to have both types of heaters and speaking from experience ... How about you ?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
Bella125 wrote: I call B. S. Show me how you're paying off your investment in 5 years! A 40 gal powervent for $800 vs a tankless for $2500.
A tankless can pay off the investment within 5 yrs if currently renting a tank at $35-40 a month. If you want to compare which has a quicker ROI between an $800 vs a tankless for $2500 then that is another discussion.

OP, How old is your current tank? I started saving for a tankless when my tank was 16 yrs old. Had enough cash by the 20yr mark and bought a tankless. The tank was still functional when it was pulled out
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
how did you arrive with the $800 v $2500 comparison? the cost of the units itself is nowhere near $2500 (lowes.ca)?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
We've had a tankless for almost 6 years now and have had zero issues. We are in a bungalow, so the water doesn't have far to travel. Our unit does not require the typical de-scaling with vinegar like some other units, so it has been virtually maintenance free.

Total cost was $1800 for the unit, plus $600 to install. $2400 all in.
Aug 30, 2017
3 posts
Thanks for the help everyone.

I do believe it is possible to pay it off in that length of time, a friend of mine installed a Rheem model last year and she says its saving them about $200 a year on bills. We are a family of 5 so I would need something quite powerful. I have been asking around on other forums and saw what looked like a few good models at tankless heater guide.

Any model recommendations?
Mar 19, 2013
728 posts
228 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
We have had a tankless for 7 years. Never have had a problem. De-scale it about every 18 months with vinegar. The best thing we like is we do not run out of hot water. We have a deep bathtub. The old tank could not supply enough hot water if we both wanted to bath. One had to wait for hot water. Just 2 of us, we have a Navien. To add we live in a very cold winter climate, works great year round.
Aug 30, 2017
3 posts
Magoo61 wrote: We have had a tankless for 7 years. Never have had a problem. De-scale it about every 18 months with vinegar. The best thing we like is we do not run out of hot water. We have a deep bathtub. The old tank could not supply enough hot water if we both wanted to bath. One had to wait for hot water. Just 2 of us, we have a Navien. To add we live in a very cold winter climate, works great year round.
Great advice about de-scaling with vinegar. Definitely a great tip to keep in mind. Thanks!
Aug 30, 2017
1 posts
Magoo61 wrote: We have had a tankless for 7 years. Never have had a problem. De-scale it about every 18 months with vinegar. The best thing we like is we do not run out of hot water. We have a deep bathtub. The old tank could not supply enough hot water if we both wanted to bath. One had to wait for hot water. Just 2 of us, we have a Navien. To add we live in a very cold winter climate, works great year round.
Also you mention that you have a Naiven. Would you mind letting me know how much that costs?

I was thinking possibly the Rheem rtgh or takagi t-kjr2 as we are a bigger family and need a gas unit. The reviews are here , they seem to fit our needs and was hoping someone had some more info on them?
DIY Enthusiast and hopelessly aspiring amateur plumber
Feb 22, 2008
184 posts
61 upvotes
Would be interested in hearing people's opinions on electric tankless vs gas tankless. Is one better than the other in performance, cost and energy savings?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)