• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 2:53 am
[OP]
Nov 1, 2015
417 posts
148 upvotes
BC

Need advice on where to buy summer/performance tire

I already have a set of Firestone Winterforce2 225/60/R18. Looking for some all-season/summer/performance. Doesnt even have to be all-season. Stock vehicle tire size is 235/55/r18 so that's the size I'm looking for. I don't drive too hard and I only drive my car 2-3 days a week short distance but with the occasional road trips during the summer. I was looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3+ but the total price at Costco was $1300 mounted after tax. A little too steep. If I could get something under $1100 mounted after tax that would be my preference.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3512 posts
3603 upvotes
GTA
The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a High Performance All-Season tire. Not a summer tire.

That being said, two lower cost alternatives to the A/S 3+ in that size are:
-Firestone Firehawk AS
-Goodyear Eagle RS-A
[OP]
Nov 1, 2015
417 posts
148 upvotes
BC
derass wrote: The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a High Performance All-Season tire. Not a summer tire.

That being said, two lower cost alternatives to the A/S 3+ in that size are:
-Firestone Firehawk AS
-Goodyear Eagle RS-A

Thanks found the firestone firehawk AS at Kal Tire for $198 a pop.

The Kal tire website wont let me buy any tire. Checkout button is greyed out.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2015
417 posts
148 upvotes
BC
After researching stores and tires for nearly 3-4 hours 1010tires was the best place to buy tires in my opinion. Huge selections and its local to where I live so no shipping costs and I can pickup from store as well.

If anyone is wondering I went with the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT. Had some good reviews on multiple websites and offers best in class/price performance for dry/wet. It got low snow performance scores however. After taxes total was $948.
May 24, 2008
230 posts
172 upvotes
Mississauga
if you have winter's already, and you dont drive much, best to go with summer tires (not high performance all season). Firestone Indy 500 is a good choice for good performance while not breaking the bank.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2015
417 posts
148 upvotes
BC
macrossr wrote: if you have winter's already, and you dont drive much, best to go with summer tires (not high performance all season). Firestone Indy 500 is a good choice for good performance while not breaking the bank.
I gave the Indy 500s some consideration but in BC it sometimes snows in the mountain passes in the Spring and early Fall so I decided to go with an all-season tire for some extra peace of mind.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3512 posts
3603 upvotes
GTA
macrossr wrote: if you have winter's already, and you dont drive much, best to go with summer tires (not high performance all season).
Why?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2783 posts
1111 upvotes
GTA
derass wrote: Why?
Maximize the grip for the usage.
Winter for when it's cold and wintery outside
Summer for when it's hot and summery outside
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3512 posts
3603 upvotes
GTA
Viperoni wrote: Maximize the grip for the usage.
Winter for when it's cold and wintery outside
Summer for when it's hot and summery outside
I get that. But I question the advantage of summer tires over all-season tires in wet conditions, and at transition temperatures (~7°C), or a combination of both. I've yet to see a good test that compares the two on these issues.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2015
417 posts
148 upvotes
BC
1010tires is quick. They phoned me saying they have the tires in already (I'm assuming they had them In stock unless they got them shipped in 24 hours). They booked me in for tomorrow morning. I could have even got an appointment for today but I was busy.

Kal Tire on their website didnt have appointments availible till mid/end of July.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
4680 posts
2045 upvotes
Vancouver
How accurate are 1010tires fitment guides? According to their website, they have a bunch of 18" winter rims that are supposed to fit my RS3 but I'm a little worried they might not clear the brakes.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3512 posts
3603 upvotes
GTA
notenoughsleep wrote: How accurate are 1010tires fitment guides? According to their website, they have a bunch of 18" winter rims that are supposed to fit my RS3 but I'm a little worried they might not clear the brakes.
Probably not great. They're going off hard specs like diameter, width and offset. They haven't test fit their recommendations on an RS3. Or any recommendation/car combination for that matter. It would be impossible.

Brake clearance is usually dependant on spoke design. The RS3 has big brakes, so that's going to make fitment extra difficult.

Rather than buying something blindly, test fitting them, and hoping for the best, the better option is to find an RS3 forum, and see what other people are running.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
26744 posts
11764 upvotes
Toronto
^ yup. even with the identical offset and width, the contour of the inner barrel can be an obstacle for the aftermarket wheel to clear the brake. For sure, you should never choose a wheel that has deep concavity unless it has been test fitted.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2135 posts
2052 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
derass wrote: I get that. But I question the advantage of summer tires over all-season tires in wet conditions, and at transition temperatures (~7°C), or a combination of both. I've yet to see a good test that compares the two on these issues.
Tires are always a compromise, just depends on your priorities and budget. I don't buy my summer tires based on weather conditions that may happen a couple times a year.. All seasons are a much bigger compromise because you're stuck driving every single day all summer long. I just swap to my winter tires a little early and back to my summers a little late and don't stress. Winters are much cheaper to replace so I don't mind the extra wear and slightly worse performance if you get an occasional hot day during the transition days.

OP's thought process made sense of wanting to be able to drive on snowy conditions in the middle of summer. That said if you want good performance in the snow all weather tires are much better than all seasons.