• Sep 8th, 2021 9:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
2150 posts
214 upvotes
Calgary

Need advices on extended Honda warranty

Hey guys, I am looking to get extended warranty for my Honda Pilot, which is approaching 3 year old.
I know the general consensus is the extended warranty is not worth it. (that's why I didn't bother with my old car either when the manufacture expired, turned out to be a wise decision).
But seeing the electronics involved in the cars these days (esp. driving assistance features) I figured this might not be a bad idea.

I am interested in the 6 years/100,000km extended warranty which cost CAD1804 on Honda website.

My questions are:

1) can you purchase the extended warranty at any dealership?

2) if not, I would like to shop around for a better price, any recommendation you may have? for the warranty I am interested, what would be considered as a decent deal?

Thanks a lot.
5 replies
Nov 5, 2006
263 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
I paid $900 at the time of sale to extend my Accord to 7 years or 130k km. Seemed like a sound investment at that time, though I’ve never yet needed to use.

You’re likely to get less deals now that you’re out of the finance managers office. Call the sales guy / dealer you dealt with and see what they’ll offer and use that as a starting point.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4340 posts
3573 upvotes
GTA
You are not buying extra 6 years, you are extending existing warranty to 3 more years. Is it $1800 plus taxes? I don't see you spending $600+ every year on repairs. Brakes, rust proofing, timing belt etc - you still have to pay out of your pocket. What else can go wrong? If you have 9 speed transmission, do regular fluid changes as per "harsh driving conditions" and you should be good to go. I wouldn't spend that much money on extra warranty with Honda. You will not get your money back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
2150 posts
214 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for the replies, guys. really appreciate it.

Unfortunately the sales guy I dealt with is no longer with the dealership I bought from.

I understand that it's only for another two years of coverage and it doesn't cover brakes etc.

What I am worried about most is the electronics in the car esp. the adaptive cruise control system which I use a lot and really enjoy.

Any one got experience of getting a decent deal on extended warranty when your original warranty is close to expire?
Nov 5, 2006
263 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
My advice as some who purchased the extended warranty: don’t do it. Put your faith in Honda’s quality and hope for the best. It’s insurance though and our risk appetites might differ. If I had it to do again I wouldn’t have even spent the $900!
renhui wrote: Thanks for the replies, guys. really appreciate it.

Unfortunately the sales guy I dealt with is no longer with the dealership I bought from.

I understand that it's only for another two years of coverage and it doesn't cover brakes etc.

What I am worried about most is the electronics in the car esp. the adaptive cruise control system which I use a lot and really enjoy.

Any one got experience of getting a decent deal on extended warranty when your original warranty is close to expire?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4340 posts
3573 upvotes
GTA
renhui wrote: Thanks for the replies, guys. really appreciate it.

Don't do it. Put aside $2000 that you are willing to waste on extended warranty as " emergency repair budget". Or even better - invest in some stocks on TSX. I would not worry about ACC, line assist, emergency brakes etc. If your windshield goes, camera needs to be recalibrated after glass replacement. Early Pilots ('16 and some '17) had some issues with fuel injector banks and keyless entry modules. It was corrected in later model years.