• Jul 6th, 2019 6:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
932 posts
510 upvotes
Moncton

Need advise - Canon T7i, 77D or 80D?

Disclaimer: I am not a photographer and don't understand or am interested to know all the technical mumbo jumbo, but could use some advise from those of you who do.

My wife has an old and well used T3 Rebel that she's no longer satisfied with it and wants to upgrade. She has invested in couple of Canon lenses so wants to stay with a Canon DSLR.

She uses it mostly for sports photography with a EF 70-200 L USM lens and mostly uses the auto settings. We've sort of narrowed the replacement selection down to the T7i, 77D or 80D. I'm looking for advise on which one to go with. For here situation, is there any reason to spend the extra $ for the 77D or 80D, or would the T7i be the best choice.

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1238 posts
904 upvotes
Montreal
oIIIIIo wrote: Disclaimer: I am not a photographer and don't understand or am interested to know all the technical mumbo jumbo, but could use some advise from those of you who do.

My wife has an old and well used T3 Rebel that she's no longer satisfied with it and wants to upgrade. She has invested in couple of Canon lenses so wants to stay with a Canon DSLR.

She uses it mostly for sports photography with a EF 70-200 L USM lens and mostly uses the auto settings. We've sort of narrowed the replacement selection down to the T7i, 77D or 80D. I'm looking for advise on which one to go with. For here situation, is there any reason to spend the extra $ for the 77D or 80D, or would the T7i be the best choice.

Thanks
Go for the T7i. She'll love the upgrade over the T3.

The only reason one might consider the 77D is for better manual controls which she doesn't use.

Definately don't go for the 80D, both the 77D and T7i use a newer processor for faster everything. The only reason you have to consider the 80D is the weather sealed, the other 2 are not.
Nov 12, 2012
699 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary
On the flip side, the 80d has a better viewfinder, bigger battery life, and can shoot up to 1/8000 if needed. The 77d is a price point camera intended to bridge the gap to the 80d, it has most of the features, but not all from it's bigger cousin.

Any of the 3 options will be a significant upgrade over her existing camera, but as mentioned above, if she's in auto mode most of the time, then there is no huge advantage in paying extra. With the rumored 90d around the corner, we should be seeing some price drops on both cameras.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
932 posts
510 upvotes
Moncton
Thanks for the advise. Decided to go with the T7i. Bought it from BestBuy with a PM from Amazon.ca.
Feb 19, 2019
6 posts
6 upvotes
oIIIIIo wrote: Thanks for the advise. Decided to go with the T7i. Bought it from BestBuy with a PM from Amazon.ca.
Hey, just came across your post and am interested in getting a T7i for myself. I saw Amazon had it for $773 and was going to go to Best Buy for price match but they say on their website that they don't price match 'marketplace sellers' and the Amazon listing says its 'sold by 123 Easyship but fulfilled by Amazon'. Do they price match that? Not that you're an expert from your experience in this case, just thought I'd ask since you went through the process. Thanks!
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
932 posts
510 upvotes
Moncton
UppermostTea wrote: Best Buy ... say on their website that they don't price match 'marketplace sellers' and the Amazon listing says its 'sold by 123 Easyship but fulfilled by Amazon'. Do they price match that?
I think that's the same listing I used for a price match. They didn't have a problem with it, but it probably depends on the manager at the store and how much they care or attention they pay.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1357 posts
1159 upvotes
Why not get a used 7D for $300? Or a used 6D full frame for $600. Even if you have to replace the shutter it is worth it. No sales tax too because this is a private sale. Look at the usual places like Craigslist or FB Market. High end used camera bodies are often a steal, because you are probably buying them off someone who has lost interest in the hobby.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1326 posts
645 upvotes
CCHIPSS wrote: Why not get a used 7D for $300? Or a used 6D full frame for $600. Even if you have to replace the shutter it is worth it. No sales tax too because this is a private sale. Look at the usual places like Craigslist or FB Market. High end used camera bodies are often a steal, because you are probably buying them off someone who has lost interest in the hobby.
I think the reverse. Used entry level cameras are often from people who lost interest and high end are usually from professionals or enthusiasts who is looking to replace it with something better.
I agree that camera bodies lose a lot of their values over time so buying used will save you a lot of money.
Jul 12, 2010
466 posts
75 upvotes
kangmlee wrote: Go for the T7i. She'll love the upgrade over the T3.

The only reason one might consider the 77D is for better manual controls which she doesn't use.

Definately don't go for the 80D, both the 77D and T7i use a newer processor for faster everything. The only reason you have to consider the 80D is the weather sealed, the other 2 are not.
Pretty sure what he said

T7i a little more better AF / processor

77D if she plans to take photography more serious and more functional buttons.

80D is older but solid if you were more video intense with like magic lantern and all the pro like buttons I think

Newbies tend to be uncomfortable buying used since they don't know what they should be checking when they buy it so it's hard to recommend a cheap used 7D
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1674 posts
408 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd get a M50, basically mirrorless version of 80D
Feb 19, 2019
6 posts
6 upvotes
Been reading up on that M50, and you might have me convinced. Films in 4K vs 1080. Smaller and lighter. battery doesn't last as long, but Best Buy is giving a free spare battery with purchase. That might be the one! $799 at BestBuy and Amazon.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1674 posts
408 upvotes
Mississauga
UppermostTea wrote: Been reading up on that M50, and you might have me convinced. Films in 4K vs 1080. Smaller and lighter. battery doesn't last as long, but Best Buy is giving a free spare battery with purchase. That might be the one! $799 at BestBuy and Amazon.
4k is only a gimmick. it's heavily cropped 1.6x, and no DPAF in 4k.

M50 is a real bargain though, loaded with features, vari angle screen, touch and drag AF, EVF, DPAF, Digic 8, small and light. all for $800! the only thing I don't like is the 24mp crop sensor, it just won't give me the same creamy bokeh on a full frame body. so I sold it and bought a EOS R, basically a mini 5D4 for $2400 including battery grip and EF adapter. much more expensive than the M50, but at least I got that full frame look!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4060 posts
828 upvotes
West Side GTA
If you are going state side check this out (if you don't mind Refurb from CANON directly).

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... stm-bundle

That is a SMOKING hot deal for a 80D. Grant you, you must be comfortable with refurb. I've bought some Canon Refurbs before and the shutter counts are usually less than 1k (could be just my luck though).