Computers & Electronics

Need advise on new TV (refresh rate related)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2015 10:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 24, 2011
261 posts
34 upvotes
MONTR

Need advise on new TV (refresh rate related)

All,

Looking to pick up a new TV soon (Boxing day maybe)
I have narrowed it down to a few makes/models ; 48-50 inches and NOT Smart.
Usually 550-600$ or so.
For example the one posted below, hoping there will be some deals soon.
http://www.costco.ca/LG-49LF5400-49-in. ... 77348.html

Then someone mentioned to me "dont get one with a 60hz refresh rate". I read up a bit but did not get much clarity.
I dont play games nor watch sports.

Thoughts on this?
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
TL;DR: Don't worry about the refresh rate. It's just a marketing gimmick. Focus on picture quality.

More detail:
- The actual response time of LCD pixels varies depending on their start and end states, but with modern panels the worst is about 30 msec, corresponding to a refresh rate of about 33 Hz, which is just barely within the flicker-fusion perception threshold for some people. That's why sensitive eyes can still see a little motion blur on panels that supposedly have a response time of 5 msec. (they're quoting the best time, not the worst).
- Various video sources range from 24 Hz to 60 Hz in refresh rate. No commonly available source offers > 60 Hz.
- The purpose of higher refresh rates is primarily to provide motion smoothing, where the TV electronics try to interpolate extra intermediate frames between two source frames in order to smooth out the jump between frames. It works best when the camera is panning across a scene, not so good when objects are moving within the scene. Most people don't like the artificial smoothing effect, and professional reviewers usually recommend turning it off for best picture quality.
- The other purpose of offering a 120 Hz refresh rate is to fit the 24 fps cinema refresh rate common on older movies into an exact number of frames. But modern TVs and disc players can just as easily use 24 Hz refresh to do that.
[OP]
May 24, 2011
261 posts
34 upvotes
MONTR
Many thanks. I did read the whole thing :)