• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2020 10:29 am
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
188 posts
20 upvotes
Calgary

Need advise on phone repair/purchase

Hi all, I had gotten a Samsung S10 Plus last year, a few months later the phone dropped (even with the case) and the screen cracked, fast forward today, unfortunately the top 25% of the screen, touch doesn't work on it.
The phone works fine, but I can't do anything in the top half, so basically any apps/games/whatever it is that has stuff to press on the top side, I can't do anything. Phone has become useless. I live in Canada, inquired around, was told it would cost me at least $300-400 to get it replaced.

The other part is I'm with Koodo, have a loyalty plan of $60/10GB and with all the new rules/policies, if I upgrade my phone I have to change my plan, it sucks but I can get a lesser GB plan and they won't even give me any device credit to assist, nothing.

I have a few options, I need help with what I should do:

1) Repair the phone - Just get the screen replaced
2) Try and trade in the phone, get a S20 (base not plus) or some other device (even Note 10, dunno)
3) Downgrade to a Samsung A70

If I cancel my current account with Koodo I'd have to pay my tab balance, now I've been talking with Costco mobile folks and they may pay off my tab, giving me a decent deal.
I'm currently using my old LG G5, it's slow, laggy as hell, battery life has had its days, need to charge it twice a day so I really need a new device.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16769 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have a phone credit that must be repaid in addition to the s10+ tab?
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
188 posts
20 upvotes
Calgary
audit13 wrote: Do you have a phone credit that must be repaid in addition to the s10+ tab?
Hey no just a tab of ~$200. So if I move I have to pay that off. I'm leaning towards the a70, pretty decent phone for the price, my only gripe is the lack of any IP rating. The specs are not top, but I doubt the performance difference will that noticeable to a s10+

Still confused hence the need of advice
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16769 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
mlallany wrote: Hey no just a tab of ~$200. So if I move I have to pay that off. I'm leaning towards the a70, pretty decent phone for the price, my only gripe is the lack of any IP rating. The specs are not top, but I doubt the performance difference will that noticeable to a s10+

Still confused hence the need of advice
I assume you got the phone before Koodo changed the rules which is good.

My co-worker has the A70 and it is a nice-looking phone. I played with it a bit and it's pretty fast, decent pictures, and good build quality.