Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2004
3888 posts
272 upvotes

Need advise for shipping for ebay

I purchased something on ebay and it came to $150 with $50 shipping to $200 total. The seller is asking if I want to declare the actual value and that amount would be insured. If I go that route I may have to pay customs, if not then only the declared value would be insured. The item is coming from HK. Any advise would be appreciated.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1611 posts
351 upvotes
Vancouver
It's up to you if you want to buy the extra insurance but you are automatically insured up to $100 with UPS/FedEx. I would advise you not to get the insurance. The odds of something happening to your shipment is slim to none if it's being shipped by UPS/FedEx.

If your item is being shipped by DHL you should absolutely buy the extra insurance.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1658 posts
184 upvotes
Scarbontario
sandy_beach wrote: It's up to you if you want to buy the extra insurance but you are automatically insured up to $100 with UPS/FedEx. I would advise you not to get the insurance. The odds of something happening to your shipment is slim to none if it's being shipped by UPS/FedEx.

If your item is being shipped by DHL you should absolutely buy the extra insurance.
+1

Fricken' DHL.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2004
3888 posts
272 upvotes
sandy_beach wrote: It's up to you if you want to buy the extra insurance but you are automatically insured up to $100 with UPS/FedEx. I would advise you not to get the insurance. The odds of something happening to your shipment is slim to none if it's being shipped by UPS/FedEx.

Thing is I don't believe he is using UPS/Fed Ex. I'll ask and report back but my main question is how likely is it that something from HK will be taxed?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
The fact that you are inquiring about this now, and dont even know which shipping service is being used after that fact of buying the item is mind boggling

And as we all know, there's always a chance an item shipped from outside of Canada will require duty and tax

It's one thing for a buyer asking a seller to declare the value lower to avoid taxes and duty, but for a buyer to ask the seller isn't common practise in my experience. It's actually against the law and most legitimate sellers refuse to do so.
Oct 9, 2007
217 posts
20 upvotes
It's hard to say. Sometimes my high dollar items come in small packages and I don't get charged anything and sometimes my $15 DealExtreme parts come in a big box and I get dinged for $5 Brokerage and HST.

From HK, it's probably coming by HK Post. Not sure what's up with them, but they are SLOW unless you go EMS.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2004
3888 posts
272 upvotes
hitman_24 wrote: The fact that you are inquiring about this now, and dont even know which shipping service is being used after that fact of buying the item is mind boggling

And as we all know, there's always a chance an item shipped from outside of Canada will require duty and tax

It's one thing for a buyer asking a seller to declare the value lower to avoid taxes and duty, but for a buyer to ask the seller isn't common practise in my experience. It's actually against the law and most legitimate sellers refuse to do so.

I don't know what is so mind boggling about not knowing what service the seller uses. Different seller uses different companies so I dont see what the big deal is. And alot of sellers have declared a lower value.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
StoneColdWhat wrote: I don't know what is so mind boggling about not knowing what service the seller uses. Different seller uses different companies so I dont see what the big deal is. And alot of sellers have declared a lower value.

Exqctly my point, different sellers use different companies which means different costs, because different companies offer different shipping times, are more or less reliable etc. you already agreed to a $50 dollar charge., for all you know the seller could be shipping standard letter mail and pocketing the difference. You are basically giving him the option of choosing the most cost effective way for him to ship the product to you.

For most people, especially on RFD shipping methods and costs are factored into their purchase before hand

My advice to you now would be that to make sure there is some kind of tracking included, and declare the value as low as possible
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
211 upvotes
Surrey
StoneColdWhat wrote: I purchased something on ebay and it came to $150 with $50 shipping to $200 total. The seller is asking if I want to declare the actual value and that amount would be insured. If I go that route I may have to pay customs, if not then only the declared value would be insured. The item is coming from HK. Any advise would be appreciated.

If you request an under-declaration, you are shooting yourself in the foot if something goes sideways, because that declared amount will be al he is responsible for if the item gets lost in shipment.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5152 posts
1842 upvotes
StoneColdWhat wrote: I purchased something on ebay and it came to $150 with $50 shipping to $200 total. The seller is asking if I want to declare the actual value and that amount would be insured. If I go that route I may have to pay customs, if not then only the declared value would be insured. The item is coming from HK. Any advise would be appreciated.

Tell him to declare 10$ (you will save 20-70 $ in bs fees)

If something happens to the package make a claim via paypal.
iamnotamerican.com wrote: If you request an under-declaration, you are shooting yourself in the foot if something goes sideways, because that declared amount will be al he is responsible for if the item gets lost in shipment.

Totally wrong. Only ''person'' you are dealing with is paypal.
The payment sent via paypal is what you can claim back and what you will receive (100% sure) if: you return the package with a tracking or the sender shipped it with no tracking number.
In other words you dont deal with the shipping company.

So if its lost you get you money back via paypal.
If its damaged you get your money back via paypal.

Asking for low declared value is a win-win situation.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
Coz4k wrote: Asking for low declared value is a win-win situation.
It is a win-win situation only as long as a CBSA officer doesn't open the package, check the contents, and decide that the low valuation is suspicious. Because then the parcel gets pulled aside and routed to CBSA's contracted raters who will determine the item's full Canadian (or equivalent) MRSP and assess duty and taxes based on that amount.

I know this first-hand because a Seiko watch I purchased on eBay from a US seller was shipped out with a value of $29 shown on the Customs Declaration. CBSA's raters re-valued it to the retail price shown for that model on one of Seiko's websites -- which was almost three times the price I actually paid the US seller -- and assessed me duty and taxes based on that much higher amount. (And the really irritating part was that I had specifically asked the seller not to undervalue on the Customs Declaration.)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5152 posts
1842 upvotes
Wingding wrote: It is a win-win situation only as long as a CBSA officer doesn't open the package, check the contents, and decide that the low valuation is suspicious. Because then the parcel gets pulled aside and routed to CBSA's contracted raters who will determine the item's full Canadian (or equivalent) MRSP and assess duty and taxes based on that amount.

I know this first-hand because a Seiko watch I purchased on eBay from a US seller was shipped out with a value of $29 shown on the Customs Declaration. CBSA's raters re-valued it to the retail price shown for that model on one of Seiko's websites -- which was almost three times the price I actually paid the US seller -- and assessed me duty and taxes based on that much higher amount. (And the really irritating part was that I had specifically asked the seller not to undervalue on the Customs Declaration.)

You can refuse the package at the door and get refunded via paypal if you are not happy with the fees.

This is a win-win-win-win-win... situation as i said.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2004
3888 posts
272 upvotes
Well I don't think it will be re-valued as the item is pretty old and its a memorabilia pretty much, so it would be pretty hard for them to find a value. Think I'll ask for low declaration. Thanks guys.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2192 posts
460 upvotes
Winnipeg
StoneColdWhat wrote: Well I don't think it will be re-valued as the item is pretty old and its a memorabilia pretty much, so it would be pretty hard for them to find a value. Think I'll ask for low declaration. Thanks guys.

good choice, I've never lost any of my 100+ chinese packages, all marked as <20 buck gifts :D
😉
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
Coz4k wrote: You can refuse the package at the door and get refunded via paypal if you are not happy with the fees.

This is a win-win-win-win-win... situation as i said.
Nope. Not any more. PayPal no longer automatically rules in the buyer's favor if the online tracking info shows that the item reached its destination but was refused or unclaimed by the buyer. Too much of that been going on, apparently. That's why eBay has been pushing harder on the the need for sellers to declare actual values on all international shipments, and giving increased protection against bad FB from buyers who refused to pay the customs charges.