• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 5:24 pm
[OP]
Jan 20, 2019
182 posts
327 upvotes
Ajax, ON

Need Advise on Tire Change Tools

It's time to swap tires and I am new to these stuff.

I looked at a youtube and seems it can be done by using tools that came with car.

Do RFD members recommend to buy better tools as tools comes with car are to use in emergency and may not be for long run.
If yes please suggest which one?

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5988 posts
665 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Listen a few places you can go are:

- PRINCESS AUTO with great warranty (essentially same as costco)
- Canadian tire when they have their sales of 70% off.
- Costco - For some bigger items and again warranty

Tools you absolutely need:

- Jackstand - -costco has a great one for about $100. Princess auto is similar
- Deep sockets
- Torque wrench
- Breaker bar - Canadian tire has this on sale right now

Nice to have

- Multiple jacks and jack stands
- Impact gun and impact sockets

I invested in a lot of those things over time and it's been used multiple, multiple times. I went from just changing my own tires and oil, to doing everything that doesn't require exhaust, lift or electrical. It's good for yes saving money more importantly understanding how everything works, why it costs what it costs, and how to do it the right way so it lasts longer. Also that sense of achievement is really nice to have plus a lot of the skills and tools are transferable around the home.

My tire changes feature:

- Floor jack
- Impact gun and impact sockets
- Breaker bar/Torque stick
- Torque wrench
- Grease pen to mark tires which side they came off from
- Tire bags

I can get all 4 done on either of my cars in about 45 minutes + 15 minutes to put tools away and clean-up. If you're not using impact tools, make sure to crack or break the nuts before lifting otherwise you won't be able to get them off without the tires spinning. Use multiple points of support in lifting the car i.e. back-up jackstands and chalks to ensure safety if this is going to be your first time.

Take your time, lift with your legs, not your back. Don't overtorque. Check them in a day or two to ensure they're still on there at the right torque spec.
--
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2006
1081 posts
599 upvotes
You could do all of the above....

Or, you can just use the tools that came with your car. It will be slower and more physically demanding, but the effect is the same. The one thing you should invest in, is a good torque wrench to make sure the lug nuts are tightened to the proper spec. You will need a deep socket for the torque wrench, which you can get either in a set or individually.
Dec 12, 2007
109 posts
165 upvotes
saint john
totally agree with post#2, so I don't have to repeat. What I want to point out is the benefit of investing few hundreds:

- save time for making appointment and waiting in the shop
- you are doing better job than dealer technician (yes you are, even if I don't know you), explain you later
- the time it is jacked up and tires removed, it is the best time to give thorough inspection on the car especially brakes, calipers, suspensions, etc.

Why you are better than dealer technicians? Changing tires is sooooo easy and tooooo basic, experienced tech won't do it. it is just brand new interns doing it, who even doesn't know which way to tight, which way to loose, yet. Air gun loose nut, kick tires out, put back, air gun all the ways in. Check front end? no time. Anti seize? who cares. crossed lug thread? Not my fault, it "has" been bad before, we just discovered it. Remember, no one cares your car better than you.
Feb 24, 2004
380 posts
128 upvotes
No doubt buying the right tools will make life easier, BUT also learn to use the tool kit that comes with the car. This way, you'll know how to slap on a spare should you ever get a flat.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5277 posts
2840 upvotes
Toronto
Try it with scissor jack and elbow grease. You will know how to change to spare in an emergency.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35220 posts
21193 upvotes
Center of Universe
peteryorkuca wrote: Try it with scissor jack and elbow grease. You will know how to change to spare in an emergency.
I only want to add, if using the scissor jacks, make sure your on a smooth flat surface and put jack stands under the vehicle ASAP or change the tire at F1 pit stop speeds.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5024 posts
3560 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
You can borrow tools from CT if you don't want to pay for the tools. Just need to pay for deposit. Depending on the store, they're often the good quality CT tools.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18789 posts
2421 upvotes
Out west
peteryorkuca wrote: Try it with scissor jack and elbow grease. You will know how to change to spare in an emergency.
Thats how I taught my kids, with the stuff in their car. Doing tire swaps winter to summer or vice versa, just do them one at a time. Make sure the e-brake is on, and have something in front or behind a tire or two. Its a bit slower, but its in their head now.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11129 posts
2889 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Costco - Torin 3-ton Professional-grade Low-profile Rapid-lift Floor Jack - $149.99 - https://www.costco.ca/Torin-3-ton-Profe ... 92927.html

Canadian Tire - MotoMaster Aluminum & Steel Garage Jack, 3-Ton - $159.89 *Special* - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#srp

i would go with the Costco one if i was to buy one now, the low profile is good to have if you have a lower car or maybe you will need it in the future for a friends or familys car.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5988 posts
665 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
sickcars wrote: Costco - Torin 3-ton Professional-grade Low-profile Rapid-lift Floor Jack - $149.99 - https://www.costco.ca/Torin-3-ton-Profe ... 92927.html

Canadian Tire - MotoMaster Aluminum & Steel Garage Jack, 3-Ton - $159.89 *Special* - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#srp

i would go with the Costco one if i was to buy one now, the low profile is good to have if you have a lower car or maybe you will need it in the future for a friends or familys car.
The Torin jack is cheaper in store at Costco too
--
Oct 24, 2018
384 posts
359 upvotes
Can I also point out when changing tires or rotating them, it is a great time to check on that spare tire in your car. You know, that neglected thing many people don't ever look at until it is needed in an emergency.

Another often overlooked common sense thing: when changing tires in a driveway, it is good safety practice to use wheel chocks. They are cheap, but even a block of wood or concrete is safer than nothing. The amount of times I've seen people under a car with one side lifted and nothing stopping the wheels on the ground from moving, I realize it is unlikely something will happen but 10 seconds of prevention could save a bunch of hurt.

Another old tip if there are no jack stands available, place a wheel under the frame or a solid piece of suspension near the corner of the car being worked on just in case the jack fails. Jack stands are preferred of course.