Home & Garden

Need all new appliances (and furniture) for new build...

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2020 9:42 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2010
94 posts
55 upvotes

Need all new appliances (and furniture) for new build...

Put a deposit in for a new build targeted to close Summer of 2021.
Apparently appliance dimensions will be due this fall for proper measurements etc.
This is my first home - any reccos on where to even start shopping for range/fridges/dishwasher/washer/dryer??? Or general advice? Brands? Designs...?
I'm in the Ottawa area.

Thanks!
40 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14051 posts
8472 upvotes
Toronto
Make sure your doors can fit at least 36" and don't become house poor lololololol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9149 posts
4683 upvotes
Paris
NomNomNom wrote: Put a deposit in for a new build targeted to close Summer of 2021.
Apparently appliance dimensions will be due this fall for proper measurements etc.
This is my first home - any reccos on where to even start shopping for range/fridges/dishwasher/washer/dryer??? Or general advice? Brands? Designs...?
I'm in the Ottawa area.

Thanks!
My friend sells appliances. Not sure you are going to find great deals right as he says appliances are hard to come by. I would start ASAP.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10981 posts
7334 upvotes
GTA, ON
my0gr81 wrote: Appliance Canada on Jane Street. They deal with a lot of the builders, and can work with them for pre-fitting and dimensions. Corporate owners are Leon's, btw.

https://goo.gl/maps/fS8KKCKiPAggcQxB8
OP lives in Ottawa.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4980 posts
2188 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Don't be tempted to buy a matching set (brand, specific line). Some appliances from a manufacturer don't work well while others do. And if one dies, you may not be able to get a matching replacement. As for fridge, either go with 36" or 30" (and not 33" - really limits what you can get). Add enough height for the overfridge cabinet (if applicable).

Brands? Reportedly almost anything but Samsung. Depends on your budget.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2167 posts
376 upvotes
Don't buy brand specific at all...do lots of research and buy brands recommended per appliance type. If you want higher end I'd look at TAAppliances. For our main floor reno, we bought our GE Cafe for $1,500 (reg 3k) and Blomberg Dishwasher for $650 (50% off). Both were scratch and dent in almost prestine condition, couldn't notice a thing when looking directly at the appliance.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4748 posts
554 upvotes
Burlington
There definitely is a shortage depending on what you want. We ordered a dishwasher 5 weeks ago and still waiting.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1533 posts
140 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Don't be tempted to buy a matching set (brand, specific line). As for fridge, either go with 36" or 30" (and not 33" - really limits what you can get). Add enough height for the overfridge cabinet (if applicable).
Why not 33”? Just trying to understand why because were also shopping for a fridge. Thx
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15069 posts
12160 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EscaBoi wrote: Why not 33”? Just trying to understand why because were also shopping for a fridge. Thx
Well one reason is the standard opening is meant to fit either an old style 30 inch fridge (33 inch opening) or a 36 newer style fridge (37 to 40 inch opening)

Get a 33” fridge in the old style ... and your fridge doesn’t tend to have enough breathing room
Put it into a 40” opening and it looks decidedly lost in all the space

But more than anything else ... it comes down to less fridges are made in the 33” size ... so tons less choice (which is what I think @thriftshopper was getting at)

Plus a lot of the 33” models are made by Samsung & LG ... and those are 2 companies worth avoiding when it comes to appliances in general
[OP]
Aug 25, 2010
94 posts
55 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Well one reason is the standard opening is meant to fit either an old style 30 inch fridge (33 inch opening) or a 36 newer style fridge (37 to 40 inch opening)

Get a 33” fridge in the old style ... and your fridge doesn’t tend to have enough breathing room
Put it into a 40” opening and it looks decidedly lost in all the space

But more than anything else ... it comes down to less fridges are made in the 33” size ... so tons less choice (which is what I think @thriftshopper was getting at)

Plus a lot of the 33” models are made by Samsung & LG ... and those are 2 companies worth avoiding when it comes to appliances in general
Great insights! I may mean towards a 36" now because of this. Are LG/Samsung really that bad for appliances still?
[OP]
Aug 25, 2010
94 posts
55 upvotes
Tha_Doggg wrote: There definitely is a shortage depending on what you want. We ordered a dishwasher 5 weeks ago and still waiting.
Interesting, what do you believe is driving the shortage? A lack of supply due to pandemic or spoke in demand? I think given I won't need delivery until summer of next year and most places offer some level of price protection, I should be in ok shape?
[OP]
Aug 25, 2010
94 posts
55 upvotes
Any opinions on gas vs electric dryer? Worth paying for the gas hookup in laundry room?