• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2017 2:21 pm
[OP]
Oct 4, 2016
88 posts
28 upvotes

Need a car battery charger for a couple of weeks for an old car

Hi.

Wife has an '02 Jetta that didn't start yesterday morning, which was basically the coldest day in Oakville in a long time and it'll be cold for quite some time. She got a new starter on it last year so we're fairly certain it's the battery. I got it started with my Motomaster Eliminator 1400A booster pack after leaving it attached to the clamps for a half hour (didn't start right away or even after 15 minutes). This morning it started but only after giving it some throttle while turning the ignition while normally it doesn't require that.

We already started to search for a used car a couple days before and we think it'll take a couple of weeks to go through that process. So in the meantime we'd like a cheap battery charger she can use a couple of hours before she has to go to work and an hour before she has to go back home. She works 12 minutes away from home and she's on afternoon shift so plenty of time to charge in advance.

Can you please recommend something cheap and small? Perhaps from CT or Walmart since we live really close to them.

I also have the MotoMaster Nautilus Battery Charger,15/10/2A, which I use to charge my deep cycle marine battery. Not sure if that can be used for car batteries.

Thank you for the suggestions.
6 replies
Sep 28, 2014
89 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've been using this Black and Decker... so far it has been working well. There are other models out there such as battery tender and c-tek and ngenius but so far this black and decker one has been kept my battery charged.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6572 posts
4102 upvotes
Toronto
Your nautical charger can be used to charge both marine and car batteries, they are both classified as 12V batteries.
Feb 24, 2004
389 posts
133 upvotes
Am I missing something???
Why not change the battery and maybe the terminals?
[OP]
Oct 4, 2016
88 posts
28 upvotes
Thanks. I was waiting till I got home to check the Nautilus manual to make sure it could do car batteries. The Black and Decker thing would be less conspicuous for when she would be charging it at work if need be. For now will try out the Nautilus.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20277 posts
13632 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
There's a good chance that the current battery needs a good charge anyways. I would set the charger on 10A the first night in order to get the battery as full as it can be. The other nights would be OKAY to do 2A but it's a smart charger so you can let it decide as well. The charger is supposed to have a desulfation stage which is supposed to automatically engage, if it does, it will take several hours to complete but check the charger's manual for details to see if you can engage it manually as it might help your battery recover a bit of it's lost capacity.