• Feb 22nd, 2017 11:43 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal

Need cheap 1080p KODI box with audio passthrough

What's the simplest most reliable (not prone to reset/reboot) box to run OpenELEC (or LibreELEC) which support audio passthrough (So my receiver gets the original DTS-HD)?

I'm hoping for something under 100$. I don't need it to do anything else, heck I don't even need it to have a IR receiver.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2624 posts
941 upvotes
Nunavut
alkizmo wrote: What's the simplest most reliable (not prone to reset/reboot) box to run OpenELEC (or LibreELEC) which support audio passthrough (So my receiver gets the original DTS-HD)?

I'm hoping for something under 100$. I don't need it to do anything else, heck I don't even need it to have a IR receiver.
Raspberry pi, cheap and basic.. load LIbreelec on it, the pi 3 runs very smooth

fyi, don't bother with OpenElec anymore, doesn't seem as if they are even alive over there.. meanwhile LibreEelec is prepping it's release with Kodi v17
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
alkizmo wrote: What's the simplest most reliable (not prone to reset/reboot) box to run OpenELEC (or LibreELEC) which support audio passthrough (So my receiver gets the original DTS-HD)?

M9S fits what you require. It is reliable. No clue if it is the most reliable though.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
Eldorado wrote: Raspberry pi, cheap and basic.. load LIbreelec on it, the pi 3 runs very smooth
Is there a non DIY pi 3? I don't want to have to find a box for it. I just need it to be ready to install a OS on it.

danieltoronto wrote: M9S fits what you require. It is reliable. No clue if it is the most reliable though.
1 cent under my budget, lol.

It does look very functional though.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1004 posts
120 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: Is there a non DIY pi 3? I don't want to have to find a box for it. I just need it to be ready to install a OS on it.
You can probably buy a Pi 3 kit that includes the case. I have a Pi 2 and it just snaps into the case.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
Kanus wrote: You can probably buy a Pi 3 kit that includes the case. I have a Pi 2 and it just snaps into the case.
Yeah it looks like Android doesn't support passthrough, if I am not mistaken.

The Pi 3 looks cheap. I don't think I'll even get a case for it. I'll just toss it behind the TV.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
alkizmo wrote: Yeah it looks like Android doesn't support passthrough, if I am not mistaken.
I do have M9S and it has a separate optical out. I bought it mainly because of my dated receiver having only optical in and not HDMI in
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2982 posts
1585 upvotes
Eldorado wrote: Raspberry pi, cheap and basic.. load LIbreelec on it, the pi 3 runs very smooth

fyi, don't bother with OpenElec anymore, doesn't seem as if they are even alive over there.. meanwhile LibreEelec is prepping it's release with Kodi v17
I don't think the Pi can passthrough DTS-HD. DTS yes, but not DTS-HD.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1941 posts
276 upvotes
Vancouver
bogolisk wrote: I don't think the Pi can passthrough DTS-HD. DTS yes, but not DTS-HD.
I thought the same thing.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10407 posts
2764 upvotes
Winnipeg
bogolisk wrote: I don't think the Pi can passthrough DTS-HD. DTS yes, but not DTS-HD.
it converts it all to raw pcm to passthru.

I believe the new firetv could do it with latest firmware

Cheapest tho for just kodi. You could look at a s905x( avoid the s912 chipset) but you'll need a fast sd card to load and boot libreelec. Maybe stick with a beelink or mini 8sII since they seemed to try to update the firmware a bit. Stay away from completely unknown boxes or like a nexbox. They sold alot boxes with broken uboots and never updated them etc no way to hard factory reset turnoff with remote.
The thing to consider with amlogic. Is it still runs on an old linux kernel 3.14. There is a memory leak so its going to need a reboot alot. Depending on the size of scraped library. The quality of build,remote,wifi,cooling and psu is usually quite bad on these boxes. Plus shipping from the orient is slow these days.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2982 posts
1585 upvotes
lead wrote: it converts it all to raw pcm to passthru.
conversion is the opposite of passthru. The OP want his receiver to receive the original bitstream.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
The Pi will never be a contender unless it has a built in WiFi radio !
95% of consumers use WiFi instead of Ethernet
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2982 posts
1585 upvotes
Gee wrote: The Pi gets my vote.

It should cost you ~$80 with a case, and microSD card when all said and done.
Why people keeps saying the Pi? it can't bitstream DTS-HD.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2982 posts
1585 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: The Pi will never be a contender unless it has a built in WiFi radio !
This is not for 95% of the consumers. This is for the OP.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
EdT586 wrote: The Pi will never be a contender unless it has a built in WiFi radio !
I won't use WiFi.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10407 posts
2764 upvotes
Winnipeg
bogolisk wrote: Why people keeps saying the Pi? it can't bitstream DTS-HD.
probably because dts-hd is more a compression of raw lpcm but with its specific metadata that only licensed dts-hd avr can decode . theres really no difference in quality of sound as discussed by avsforum in lot of threads on lpcm vs dts-hd.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
lead wrote: probably because dts-hd is more a compression of raw lpcm but with its specific metadata that only licensed dts-hd avr can decode . theres really no difference in quality of sound as discussed by avsforum in lot of threads on lpcm vs dts-hd.
Good to hear because I can't find a decent DTS-HD passthrough box that isn't too android-ish.

Anyhow the device would only be a backup to my main computer. Whenever I play games on my PC, people can't watch KODI on the TV connected to the computer (I use true fullscreen for refresh rate reasons). Most of the time I'd be using KODI from my computer.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2982 posts
1585 upvotes
lead wrote: probably because dts-hd is more a compression of raw lpcm but with its specific metadata that only licensed dts-hd avr can decode . theres really no difference in quality of sound as discussed by avsforum in lot of threads on lpcm vs dts-hd.
Well it's up to the OP. But, iirc, there no way send DTS:X (or Atmos) by pcm. Maybe pcm is ok for his use case.

Many ppl opted for the C2 instead of the pi 3 because atmos bitstreaming. Now even soundbars support Atmos, the pi's hardware looks sh1ttier everyday.