Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11905 posts
2875 upvotes
Durham Region

Need a CHEAPER plan...

I have an iPhone 6 Plus 64GB w/ telus (it's locked to them, I'd rather not pay the $50 to unlock to be honest.

My contract is up March 2017. So when that happens, I'd like to stay with them. I currently pay $79.10 every month for my plan (which is sufficient in terms of day time minutes, visual voicemail, 10 fav numbers that don't go against my minutes at all, so in reality I use like 30-40 minutes per month out of 200...

The data though, I have 2GB and this is where I'm paying much more than I should for a phone I'm guessing. I really only view emails/browse RFD and a couple other sites so I don't think I need any more than 500MB. Any video watching I do is over WiFi and never over the data connection.

So, any suggestions? I'd like to stick to around $35-$45 per month, give or take a couple dollars... I have no plans at all to update to a newer phone in the next few years anyways.
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11905 posts
2875 upvotes
Durham Region
Amourek wrote: Public Mobile. $38 for 2GB/mo (unlimited local mins, 6GB, 90-day plan for $120 minus $6 autopay bonus).
Is that $38+ taxes and random fees or $38 all in? Does that include VM, unlimited texting, etc?

Seems pretty reasonable but how is their service? Good reception? I do make the odd long distance call to my cousin but that's about it for LD, do they have one of those "add 5 numbers" white lists and if you call them it's never counted as LD or minutes all over Canada?
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10648 posts
1080 upvotes
Vancouver
XtremeModder wrote:
Is that $38+ taxes and random fees or $38 all in? Does that include VM, unlimited texting, etc?

Seems pretty reasonable but how is their service? Good reception? I do make the odd long distance call to my cousin but that's about it for LD, do they have one of those "add 5 numbers" white lists and if you call them it's never counted as LD or minutes all over Canada?
Tax not included. No fees but it is pre-paid so you gotta pay up front. VM, CD, unlimited texting included. Uses Telus' network so the coverage should be the same as what you have now. Canada-wide calling is an extra $5/mo or you can buy CAN/USA LD boosters for $8/$15 200/400 mins as you need them.
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
922 upvotes
How long will it take to make up the $50 unlock fee in savings? What about selling the phone when you upgrade, are you seriously considering selling a locked iPhone (terrible loss of value)? Pay the unlock fee and go Fido $40 plan is my suggestion (check hot deals for more info on it).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11905 posts
2875 upvotes
Durham Region
elwebmaster wrote: How long will it take to make up the $50 unlock fee in savings? What about selling the phone when you upgrade, are you seriously considering selling a locked iPhone (terrible loss of value)? Pay the unlock fee and go Fido $40 plan is my suggestion (check hot deals for more info on it).
Will look into that plan
Apr 17, 2014
978 posts
401 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Consider Fido 3 gig data only tablet plan and use Voip for calling. It's $15.

If not google Koodo Manitoba plan.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The $50 you spend unlocking will increase the value of the phone by a sum greater than $50 in the resale market.
You open up your potential client base from TELUS/Koodo users to everyone in the world.
Apr 22, 2014
669 posts
279 upvotes
Calgary, AB
You may not have to unlock but not sure about iPhones specifically. If you go with PM it's on Telus network. So everything should be the same in terms of reception that you have now.

I've been using them for a month and have already gotten 8 people I know to switch over to them.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11905 posts
2875 upvotes
Durham Region
ellisd wrote: You may not have to unlock but not sure about iPhones specifically. If you go with PM it's on Telus network. So everything should be the same in terms of reception that you have now.

I've been using them for a month and have already gotten 8 people I know to switch over to them.
What is PM?
Apr 22, 2014
669 posts
279 upvotes
Calgary, AB
XtremeModder wrote:
ellisd wrote: You may not have to unlock but not sure about iPhones specifically. If you go with PM it's on Telus network. So everything should be the same in terms of reception that you have now.

What is PM?
Publicmobile
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1783 posts
798 upvotes
Markham
XtremeModder wrote:

What is PM?
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on
10700K + Asus TUF 3080.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2212 posts
919 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote:

What is PM?
Sent you a private message with tons of information on Public Mobile and how to get setup with them. The only thing I neglected to mention was that there is absolutely no possibility of roaming with Public Mobile. Although you will be able to text to many countries around the world (included with the unlimited international text option) your Public Mobile SIM will absolutely only work in Canada. They currently do not offer any roaming options. So if you travel to the US you would need to use a separate service like roam mobility or something.. Or just only use the phone on wifi in the US and use something like google hangouts or fongo.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35138 posts
8549 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Wait for a promo and go with Koodo. The last promo was $50, you get double data (2 Gigs) and 500 cans Canada wide minutes and unlimited international SMS

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)