• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2014 9:09 am
Tags:
May 11, 2014
20 posts
2 upvotes
East York, ON

Need Chromebook suggestion

I don't know if chromebook is just like laptop. I am confused as I think all we do on chromebook is online. Can someone please help if that's the case or not
10 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
why do you need a chrome book ?

why not get a tablet with keyboard dock
The sweetest gyal
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
sexyj wrote: why do you need a chrome book ?

why not get a tablet with keyboard dock
Costs and performance.
I would recommend, as a fan of Ubuntu and LinuxMint, the Chromebook of Acer instead of other Chromebook. Only that will allow you to install Ubuntu /LinuxMint or other favors of Linux if you somehow do not like the lack of native applications on the Chromebook
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
both cost and performance are the same. you won't be handling any heavy processing on the chromebook in the first place.

in fact the tablet will get a better battery life than a chromebook

danieltoronto wrote: Costs and performance.
I would recommend, as a fan of Ubuntu and LinuxMint, the Chromebook of Acer instead of other Chromebook. Only that will allow you to install Ubuntu /LinuxMint or other favors of Linux if you somehow do not like the lack of native applications on the Chromebook
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
If you're just doing basic tasks it good. There are basic things you can do offline like watch movies, Google Drive (Office suite). Gmail has a offline mode as well. You can read e-books, use certain apps like Google Keep, Pocket and a few games as well.

There's actually quite a bit off apps that have offline modes as well. Pixlr to edit photos, NYT, Reddit client and a few other news sources also have offline mode.

Best way to describe a Chromebook IMO is a cross between a tablet and a laptop... But closer to the tablet side.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1775 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
walker2238 wrote: If you're just doing basic tasks it good. There are basic things you can do offline like watch movies, Google Drive (Office suite). Gmail has a offline mode as well. You can read e-books, use certain apps like Google Keep, Pocket and a few games as well.

There's actually quite a bit off apps that have offline modes as well. Pixlr to edit photos, NYT, Reddit client and a few other news sources also have offline mode.

Best way to describe a Chromebook IMO is a cross between a tablet and a laptop... But closer to the tablet side.
no... its closer to the laptop side.

The only practical disadvantages a Chromebook has to a Windows/Macbook laptop is if you do gaming/photoshop/coding/etc.

Otherwise it's just like any other laptop, but cheaper and comes with better battery life.

Also Google has come a long way in making Chrome more than just a web browser.
© 2015
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
junot111 wrote: no... its closer to the laptop side.

The only practical disadvantages a Chromebook has to a Windows/Macbook laptop is if you do gaming/photoshop/coding/etc.

Otherwise it's just like any other laptop, but cheaper and comes with better battery life.
IMO == In my opinion.

You can code on a Chromebook. Check out /r/chromeos on Reddit and there's a bunch of helpful information on the subject. Obviously there will be limitations though depending on what you want to do.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1775 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
walker2238 wrote: IMO == In my opinion.

You can code on a Chromebook. Check out /r/chromeos on Reddit and there's a bunch of helpful information on the subject. Obviously there will be limitations though depending on what you want to do.
Certainly doable, but keyword practical which unfortunately it's not (yet).

But they're making big strides.. so whatever's not there now, could just be a matter of when.
© 2015
Jun 10, 2006
497 posts
161 upvotes
I've read that a good way to understand the world of Chromebooks and whether or not they are usable/practical for a person is to try doing *all* your computing inside the Chrome web browser. I realize that this is not a perfect simulator, but I thought it was pretty good.

That being said, I agree with the others that having the option to dual-boot into a favorite Linux distro is what *really* sweetens their appeal. I did that with a Chromebox, and now I am tempted to get a Chromebook with the same goal -- just a bit nervous about how 'bad' the typical TN panels are (e.g. on the Acer C720).