Home & Garden

Need a deck builder in Mississauga. Any recommendation?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2020 1:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3385 posts
1997 upvotes
Mississauga

Need a deck builder in Mississauga. Any recommendation?

I'm looking for a deck builder in Mississauga. Any recommendations? I tired a few but need more builders to consider. It will be a low deck around ~18" from grade, 16ftx16ft square, full pergola, wrap around stair and no railing. I'm 80% leaning towards pressure treated.

I had a a shortlist of 8 companies after sorting through reviews, but my list is getting even shorter as pressure treated does not seem popular.
  • So far two companies have told me they build only cedar or composite. I'll skip cedar but could opt for composite. Issue is I'm not yet fully convinced since the quotes are double pressure treated.
  • The third company has also told me they mostly build cedar or composite but will come and take a look...might be an up sell courtesy visit. Earliest build date will be sometime in the fall which I can live with.
  • The fourth company told me I need a permit to build a deck and I should apply for it then call them back to give a quote. They only knew the size as 200+ sq ft and did not ask details of what I planned to build so I figured it was a nice way to tell me "not interested". From looking though my city website my deck does look like it needs a permit because it is less than 2ft from grate. A pergola also does not need a permit because the top is not considered a roof. Seem only bylaws apply.
  • The fifth company can build the spec above and will come to take a look this week.
  • Wating to hear back from #6
  • #7 and 8 are Lowes and Homedepot which I am waiting to bear back from. I suspect will be overpriced but at least they are an option for pressure treated.
We want something like this but bigger sq ft
Image
17 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3385 posts
1997 upvotes
Mississauga
We ended up going with company #5...The Deck Master (https://thedeckmaster.com/) and very pleased with the outcome.

We chose to lower the deck further and eliminate the wrap around stairs so the deck size increased to 18ft x 16ft. The Deck Master was also able to get the job done a week ahead of schedule. It's 99% done, just missing a beam that runs across the center of the pergola. I'm told it is custom ordered and a week out.

For those technical, it was built 16 inch on center with 10 footings(plan called for 8 but there was a mix-up)

Image

Image
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3385 posts
1997 upvotes
Mississauga
Ohh and Mrs Bubuski sent the pic below so its off to aliexpress to find a deal on waterproof outdoor curtains.

Image
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1870 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto
Looks good. How much did it cost?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5196 posts
4949 upvotes
GTA
They didn't even bother putting carriage bolts to attach 2x6s beam to the posts? If you look at the front beam where the pergola roof sits, there is not much support for all that weight. Looks like the beam is joined in the middle as well? I would definitely add second beam across in the middle, bolted to the posts. Sorry for raining on the parade, but looks like even the decking boards are uneven on the left side, are some of the boards sticking out, or it's just a bad picture / my bad eyes?Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes You basically have another deck built over your head, make sure it's safe to be under it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3385 posts
1997 upvotes
Mississauga
VertigoM wrote: Looks good. How much did it cost?
Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Somewhere under $10K after taxes
effinaround wrote: Amazing what a nice deck can do for a yard. Enjoy it!
Thank you. Definitely beats what we started off with 8 yrs ago
Image
Tommy74 wrote: They didn't even bother putting carriage bolts to attach 2x6s beam to the posts? If you look at the front beam where the pergola roof sits, there is not much support for all that weight. Looks like the beam is joined in the middle as well? I would definitely add second beam across in the middle, bolted to the posts. Sorry for raining on the parade, but looks like even the decking boards are uneven on the left side, are some of the boards sticking out, or it's just a bad picture / my bad eyes?Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes You basically have another deck built over your head, make sure it's safe to be under it.
All the contractors that showed up mentioned bolts will not be installed in the pergola. The one quote(composite deck with cedar pergola) that I got for just over double this contractor mentioned bolts could be added at my costFace With Tears Of Joy. There is a whole discussion on which fastens (bolts/nail/screw) to use on certain areas of a deck/pergola and how it affects the overall cost through a contractor but I'd rather not get into it.

For the center beam, I mentioned it was on custom order above. We moved up ahead of schedule and the center beam is not a standard length that could have been readily picked up at Rona to install. It is safe to be under it now and the center beam is mainly for snow load because of the lattice

Floor boards are offset intentionally. Pergola is centered to the deck. Left side of floor boards is centered to the patio door & steps as we have other plans to change the furniture layout when we buy a new dining set. My wife and I reaffirmed the choice post install. Split down the middle while it has its merits would have looked crappy sitting on the lounge and looking towards the patio door or standing at the Patio door and looking out at the yard. Best choice would have been 18ft floor boards but our OCD didn't think the cost increase was worth it without improving the way we use the space.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5196 posts
4949 upvotes
GTA
Fair enough. Thanks for clarification. As long as you were involved throughout the whole build, you should be good, looks look like you've done your homework Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.
Member
Nov 11, 2003
482 posts
132 upvotes
Scarb
Will you be doing anything to the remaining patio stone side? (it looks really uneven next to the new deck lol)

Looks great by the way. I'm in the process of getting quotes as well for deck expansion. It's interesting how it can vary and how quickly you can tell whether they want your business or not.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 25, 2015
1147 posts
530 upvotes
York Region
mannie511 wrote: Will you be doing anything to the remaining patio stone side? (it looks really uneven next to the new deck lol)

Looks great by the way. I'm in the process of getting quotes as well for deck expansion. It's interesting how it can vary and how quickly you can tell whether they want your business or not.
I had 2 different deck contractors take over a hour at my house measuring everything and tell me they would email me a quote and never even bothered. We are talking over 20k project too. Strange.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3385 posts
1997 upvotes
Mississauga
mannie511 wrote: Will you be doing anything to the remaining patio stone side? (it looks really uneven next to the new deck lol)

Looks great by the way. I'm in the process of getting quotes as well for deck expansion. It's interesting how it can vary and how quickly you can tell whether they want your business or not.
Yeah, it does look uneven but there is a plan...long term plan with other house projects ahead of it.

I really hate the stones so I'm not inclined to spend money to try to patch it at the moment. In the future we hope to add a spa between the deck and the fence that will come to the edge of the deck. Clearance is about 9ft so there are quite a few models that could fit. The spa will need a concrete base so all the patio stones will be replaced with concrete.
bacalhau4me wrote: I had 2 different deck contractors take over a hour at my house measuring everything and tell me they would email me a quote and never even bothered. We are talking over 20k project too. Strange.
Yeah, I don't get why some contractors take the time to measure and then just disappear. I ran into the same issue exactly a year ago when trying to get my hardwood stairs.
My thread about it >> getting-my-stairs-redone-red-oak-guess- ... h-2107432/

You could try Trustedpros.ca . I hear it is really good and will probably try them out for my next project.
Jr. Member
Sep 1, 2010
150 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
I am planning to build something similar and researching. However not sure how it will manage snow in winter. Frozen snow will start to pile up with more snow and hopefully it will bear load. What was your experience in last winter? Thx.
bubuski wrote: We ended up going with company #5...The Deck Master (https://thedeckmaster.com/) and very pleased with the outcome.

We chose to lower the deck further and eliminate the wrap around stairs so the deck size increased to 18ft x 16ft. The Deck Master was also able to get the job done a week ahead of schedule. It's 99% done, just missing a beam that runs across the center of the pergola. I'm told it is custom ordered and a week out.

For those technical, it was built 16 inch on center with 10 footings(plan called for 8 but there was a mix-up)

Image

Image
Jr. Member
Sep 1, 2010
150 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
Did your pergola project done? Can you share picture?
bubuski wrote: I'm looking for a deck builder in Mississauga. Any recommendations? I tired a few but need more builders to consider. It will be a low deck around ~18" from grade, 16ftx16ft square, full pergola, wrap around stair and no railing. I'm 80% leaning towards pressure treated.

I had a a shortlist of 8 companies after sorting through reviews, but my list is getting even shorter as pressure treated does not seem popular.
  • So far two companies have told me they build only cedar or composite. I'll skip cedar but could opt for composite. Issue is I'm not yet fully convinced since the quotes are double pressure treated.
  • The third company has also told me they mostly build cedar or composite but will come and take a look...might be an up sell courtesy visit. Earliest build date will be sometime in the fall which I can live with.
  • The fourth company told me I need a permit to build a deck and I should apply for it then call them back to give a quote. They only knew the size as 200+ sq ft and did not ask details of what I planned to build so I figured it was a nice way to tell me "not interested". From looking though my city website my deck does look like it needs a permit because it is less than 2ft from grate. A pergola also does not need a permit because the top is not considered a roof. Seem only bylaws apply.
  • The fifth company can build the spec above and will come to take a look this week.
  • Wating to hear back from #6
  • #7 and 8 are Lowes and Homedepot which I am waiting to bear back from. I suspect will be overpriced but at least they are an option for pressure treated.
We want something like this but bigger sq ft
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3385 posts
1997 upvotes
Mississauga
a3dview wrote: I am planning to build something similar and researching. However not sure how it will manage snow in winter. Frozen snow will start to pile up with more snow and hopefully it will bear load. What was your experience in last winter? Thx.
This will be the 1st winter. We opted to use the wide spaced lattice to minimize snow accumulation.
a3dview wrote: Did your pergola project done? Can you share picture?
Same as I posted above just with the center beam and cutek stain.

Image
Newbie
Jun 7, 2013
79 posts
46 upvotes
may I ask roughly how much did that cost
Thanks
Jr. Member
Sep 1, 2010
150 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
bubuski wrote: This will be the 1st winter. We opted to use the wide spaced lattice to minimize snow accumulation.


How was your experience with snow on the lattice last winter?
Last edited by a3dview on Sep 2nd, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3385 posts
1997 upvotes
Mississauga
Very nice, I prefer the way your pergola is stacked. Mine is pressure treated and I was not sure how that setup will twist as it dries.

There has been no issue with snow on my lattice in the last two winters. Snow fall is the GTA is pretty minimal and the slats are never fully covered. It all melts away or falls through before the next snow fall.

Top