• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2020 11:47 am
[OP]
May 30, 2020
6 posts
1 upvote

Need to find out when my first house was sold

Hi,

I am buying a house with my current wife and my lawyer is saying that i am still entitled to the $4000 credit on land transfer because she is a new home buyer. Despite the fact that I owned a home back in 2005, it was with my previous wife, and my current wife and I have never owned property together.

The problem I am facing is that I need to know the date that I sold my previous property. It was from my previous marriage and I have no contact with my former spouse nor do i have a copy of the sales agreement even though I did sign the papers when we sold it.....I think we sold in Jan of 2006.

The house was in Brampton and I know the address. Does anyone know how i can find out the actual date of sale, without having a copy of a sales agreement or not even remembering who sold the house?

Please help....finding this information out can save me $4,000.00

B
10 replies
Mar 20, 2011
293 posts
207 upvotes
Langley, BC
Rew.ca Insights should have the sales history, you just have to create an account and you can look up by the address. Alternatively you can ask a Realtor.
May 4, 2010
243 posts
228 upvotes
Ottawa
I would think that the lawyer could retrieve this from the land registry office.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2904 posts
1497 upvotes
Mississauga
Address? Try bungol
Aug 22, 2016
371 posts
202 upvotes
I was told by a RE lawyer if either of the spouse ever owned a house that land transfer credit cannot be applied. It will be interesting to know from the experts on this board how this will work in your case.
Your Realtor should be able to give you the sold dates if you provide the address.
Oct 21, 2013
272 posts
124 upvotes
waterloo, on
Try bungol. Or send me the address.

And yes your wife is eligible but only 50% of it. Rule is that you shouldnt have owned the house while married to her. So if you sold the property before marrying your current wife, she is eligible for the rebate.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5717 posts
1774 upvotes
Ottawa
arbytor wrote: I was told by a RE lawyer if either of the spouse ever owned a house that land transfer credit cannot be applied. It will be interesting to know from the experts on this board how this will work in your case.
Your Realtor should be able to give you the sold dates if you provide the address.
I'd double check that but I was under the impression that if one of the two spouses had never owned then the joint purchase qualified for 1/2 the credit.

Here's more info : https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/bulletins/ltt/1_2008.html

The key element is that until this purchase, have you owned a home together (it's not, has she ever bought a home). I'm not a lawyer but it sounds to me like if you owned a home when you got married, so it became the matrimonial home so she was part owner (even if she might not have been put on title), she would not qualify. So have you been renting since you've been married?
Last edited by michelb on Jun 11th, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 22, 2016
371 posts
202 upvotes
michelb wrote: I'd double check that but I was under the impression that if one of the two spouses had never owned then the joint purchase qualified for 1/2 the credit.

Here's more info : https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/bulletins/ltt/1_2008.html

The key element is that until this purchase, have you owned a home together (it's not, has she ever bought a home). I'm not a lawyer but it sounds to me like if you owned a home when you got married, so it become the matrimonial home so she was part owner (even if she might not have been put on title), she would not qualify. So have you been renting since you've been married?
You are correct about this. I remember that discussion about one of the two spouses had never owned then the joint purchase qualified for 1/2 the credit.
[OP]
May 30, 2020
6 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the information everyone; I was able to find the information I was looking for by someone on the thread so thanks again!

As for the land transfer credit, this is what my lawyer told me.....

I was married back in 2004 and sold my house in 2007, divorced in 2009. My wife immigrated here 3 years ago and has never owned a property. We have rented since arriving to Canada, so even though I have owned a home in the past, we have never owned a home together and thus she is still considered a new home buyer, and in turn is eligible for the credit. My lawyer says we are entitled to the full 4,000 deduction as he has dealt with these cases numerous times; problem is not everyone is aware!

Thanks again,
Jul 8, 2018
32 posts
18 upvotes
GTA
In case anyone was still curious, in Ontario (and I imagine some other provinces) you can look up this type of information online. In Ontario, you can pay $30 or so to look up the parcel register at onland.ca (run by Teranet). The parcel register would show the date of transfer to another party.

There's no need to to go the land registry office or get a lawyer.