• Sep 14th, 2021 10:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3609 posts
1909 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

Need to fix some surface rust in the wheel well lip

Long story short, I had some rust on the wheel well lip a few years back and took it to a body shop before it became worse. The body shop (which has some pretty good reviews here) stripped the paint behind the wheel well lip with a wire brush and just left it unpainted.

After a lot of back and forth, heated arguments, money wasted on rentals, they did a poor quality patch up and I decided to cut my loses.

The patched up area started peeling off soon (no surprise because they literally painted over dirt), and I took it to Chipmaster for a longer term fix. Ron said he won't touch it because the rust will eventually come back. So I just went home and coated the inside of the wheel well with ashphalt undercoating as per Ron's advice. Again, that was a very temporary short term fix, and now 2 years later, that undercoating is starting to come off.

I KNOW that rust always comes back. I am NOT going to hold the shop responsible if that were to happen, and I am NOT going to ask for a warranty either because it's rust. I'm paying for a service, so why not just freaking take my money and help me out? I just want to kick the can down the road and have my car's body last a little longer.

So... here I am again looking for a body shop that will help me out. It's going to cost me the same amount of money if I try to do it myself because there's a ton of tools and materials that I'd need to buy, so I might as well pay for a professional.

Can anyone recommend a body shop that will help me with this? I'm in the GTA. West end would be nice but I'll go to anyone at this point.
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2587 posts
1491 upvotes
Ontario
Rust doesn't come back quickly if its done right. It needs to be cut out/stripped well and replaced by non rusted metal and repaired properly. A good job should easily last more then 2yrs...
Last edited by IcarusLSC on Aug 8th, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19105 posts
18950 upvotes
Richmond Hill
IcarusLSC wrote: Rust doesn't come back if it done right. It needs to be cut out/stripped well and replaced by non rusted metal and repaired properly...
Rust will indeed come back. A proper job will only prolong it. Anytime you cut and weld metal it is going to start rusting at the joint and spread from there.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2587 posts
1491 upvotes
Ontario
EP32k2 wrote: Rust will indeed come back. A proper job will only prolong it. Anytime you cut and weld metal it is going to start rusting at the joint and spread from there.
I fixed it for ya. I should have said "it doesn't come back quickly' if done right. A good job should last much longer then a couple years...
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3609 posts
1909 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
I don't want a cut and weld job right now. That will last longer than the car itself.

Honestly just a wire brush/sand blast + repaint.

It's in the wheel well lip area so it doesn't even need to blend in since it's out of sight.

And before anyone asks, the reason I want it fixed despite it being out of sight is because it'll eventually eat through and come out the other side in a rust bubble.
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Aug 18, 2013
312 posts
572 upvotes
Next door
Many threads here about grinding to nearly bare metal and treating with POR15. After that rinse frequently and coat with Fluid Film during the winter.

I’ve held off some wheel well rust for 3 years now with this method. It has not expanded at all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3609 posts
1909 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
notunknown wrote: Many threads here about grinding to nearly bare metal and treating with POR15. After that rinse frequently and coat with Fluid Film during the winter.

I’ve held off some wheel well rust for 3 years now with this method. It has not expanded at all.
So why isn't there a body shop out there that can do the same for me? Is there a law against touching rust? Doesn't even have to be POR15. Just fking sand blast and wire brush it away, primer and base coat. It's a simple job.

I don't have the tools or equipment to do this myself. To buy everything I need (including tire and jack kit because the tire needs to come off first) would cost me only slightly less than it would cost a professional to do it for me... hence this thread where I'm looking for a body shop recommendation.

Honestly boggles my mind why someone like Ron at Chipmaster would turn me away when the rust is still at the surface and when I told him that I wouldn't ask for a guarantee or hold him accountable if it came back early.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2226 posts
1750 upvotes
dc200 wrote: So why isn't there a body shop out there that can do the same for me? Is there a law against touching rust? Doesn't even have to be POR15. Just fking sand blast and wire brush it away, primer and base coat. It's a simple job.

I don't have the tools or equipment to do this myself. To buy everything I need (including tire and jack kit because the tire needs to come off first) would cost me only slightly less than it would cost a professional to do it for me... hence this thread where I'm looking for a body shop recommendation.

Honestly boggles my mind why someone like Ron at Chipmaster would turn me away when the rust is still at the surface and when I told him that I wouldn't ask for a guarantee or hold him accountable if it came back early.
I've seen the people working at Chipmaster and the quality of their work - it's really subpar at best. Ron knows what rust work entails and don't want potential negative reviews when a patch job will inevitably fail.

POR15 is pretty easy to work with, you just need to sand to expose the metal so the product can neutralize the metal/rust. Borrow a jack and stand from a friend and spend a day with a case of beer. Materials should cost no more than $100

The biggest issue with fender rust (without cutting) is getting to all the crevices, behind the lip, rocker etc. If you do this type of repair, you should spray those areas very often with rust check or similar.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5769 posts
4920 upvotes
Oakville, ON
dc200 wrote: So why isn't there a body shop out there that can do the same for me? Is there a law against touching rust? Doesn't even have to be POR15. Just fking sand blast and wire brush it away, primer and base coat. It's a simple job.

A couple of issues at play here:

A lot of quick/simple bodywork jobs are clear to identify and estimate. A dent on hood/door/fender or cracked:torn bumper fascia is easily identified and estimated.

Rust is harder to estimate. They take a look and tell you a price but once inside and they take the full wheel well liner off they find out it’s 2 or 3 times worse than what it first looks like. They don’t want to be called crooks pulling a fast one so avoid quoting on rust jobs altogether.

Also, you only want/need a $100-250 job done but they want/need $1,000++ job to put it on the shop floor. Why tie up the shop with small jobs when they have enough big jobs to keep themselves busy and profitable.

Your best bet might be to look at talking to the local high schools in your area that have auto shop classes. You might find an auto shop teacher willing to take a look at it and then take the job - they’ll supervise the kids while they do the work. They’re usually busy enough with teacher’s cars but with remote learning they may be more open to taking in a small job like this. Worth a shot at least!
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2226 posts
1750 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: Your best bet might be to look at talking to the local high schools in your area that have auto shop classes. You might find an auto shop teacher willing to take a look at it and then take the job - they’ll supervise the kids while they do the work. They’re usually busy enough with teacher’s cars but with remote learning they may be more open to taking in a small job like this. Worth a shot at least!
This is a great idea. I had a bumper painted by a couple Centennial College students and it turned out almost perfect because they're oh so innocent and actually took great care and their grades were on the line.

Not sure if he's still working there, but a friend worked as an auto teacher at Laurier highschool in Scarborough and has a side business that built amazing hotrods from ground up.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1553 posts
812 upvotes
What kind of quotes have you gotten?
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2015 posts
1062 upvotes
Alberta
OP, i don't know what car you drive and how much you care for the look, but on my wife's car we had a few spots where she had damage on the wheel wells, 2 from when we bought the car used, and 1 from when the car got hit a few winters ago. The damage was always repaired professionally but it always came back through, rust is a killer. Last year I went ahead and sanded as much as possible, bondo, paint, repair, and then threw on these rubber trip things around the wheel wells on every corner. I don't know how much they will help the situation but at least it's no longer directly exposed and isn't being beat by rocks. If you don't mind the look it was a very easy install, just a heat gun and some patience.

This is what things looked like before:

Some garage fixing:

I fully expect it to come through some day past what was covered with this trim, but that will be far down the line, hopefully will get wife a new car by then. Didn't get any pics of the actual arch problem in the back, i fixed it and painted it all before applying the trim.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1016 posts
328 upvotes
Mississauga
anyone can recommend a place to get rust fixed preferably in Mississauga.