• Jul 22nd, 2020 3:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11415 posts
1420 upvotes
GVR

Need a grill cleaning brush...

I have the Weber Spirit II E-210 and was going to pick up a cleaning brush, but quickly realized the increased concern around most of the brushes having bristles that could come off and end up in your food - eek!

This is my first BBQ - so what brush/what type of brush should I be looking for?
21 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21607 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
After we had an incident with a wire bristle a few years ago
(Thankfully it was caught in the nick of time ... before swallowed)

We swore off of bristle brushes entirely

Now we use a Wood Paddle
And a nylon scrubber pad

Does a fine job (we also own a Weber)

Part of the key in keeping the grill clean
Is oiling it before use ... for less sticking
And cleaning it EVERY TIME you use it

People with mucky looking grills just are being lazy SOBs
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
224 upvotes
You could use the metal brushes found at Home Depot - not for bbq, to clean it while its cold, they have long bristles so they are much easier to spot than the tiny ones on bbq brushes. I use them before and at the of the season. 🤷‍♂️

Best is to get in the habit to clean it up after use, eg turn on to full heat and let it burn the remains for a bit. Alternative, you can also put heavy duty aluminum foil on top of the grated before use and heat up as well, will be more efficient at burning the remains and then you can use a wood paddle or scraper.

The worst offenders will be sugary sauces so try to only apply them a few minutes before you take it off the bbq.

Enjoy your new bbq.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12620 upvotes
Markham
I've never had any issues with metal bristles and my BBQ...been using them for ever. I always wipe down the grates after cleaning with a old rag [cut up Tshirts etc] and then oil it down with another paper towel/rag. Having said that I would not use those plastic brushes with wires in them (sometimes you find them at Dollarama/dollar stores)...I use the ones that look like Weber "Three sided brush". I think it's the plastic ones which are problematic as the heat kind of melts the plastic and releases wires.

You have porcelain coated grates...use BRASS bristles which are softer.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 8, 2010
802 posts
454 upvotes
toronto
I've just balled up some foil I was using and use that to rub the grates down. Works like a charm
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
denti72 wrote: I've just balled up some foil I was using and use that to rub the grates down. Works like a charm
This.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10118 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
Bought wood brush from canadiantire,
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
5579 posts
2961 upvotes
Get a cedar scraper, so much better than a wire brush
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8333 posts
4049 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I bought wire brushes on clearance from RCSS (Loblaw branded brushes) a year or two ago. Bargain at under $1 as everyone was moving away from them. My grill has cylindrical S/S grates so easy to spot wire. The brush doesn't seem to disintegrate.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4582 posts
1825 upvotes
GTA
I was avoiding the cheap wire brushes as I assumed the more expensive ones would be less likely to have a bristle come loose. One bristle did come loose though and ended up on a burger but was caught before being ingested. After that I've only used the cedar scraper and while I'll admit it doesn't do as good a job cleaning the sides of the grates, I'm satisfied with the trade-off given the peace of mind.

The aluminum foil trick mentioned above sounds interesting.....I'll give that a shot.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2415 posts
3177 upvotes
West GTA
I bought and use a nylon brush - it doesn't work at high heat obviously, but the nylon is less likely to come off, less dangerous if it does as it doesn't have the razor points, and it also doesn't damage the grills like metal does. I have coated cast iron and repeated metal bristles will damage the coating. I turn on the BBQ, scrub it, spritz some oil then let it heat up.

It's not quite as good as the metal brushes and you don't want to use it on a blazing hot grill, but it works well and it's safe.
Jul 14, 2017
363 posts
58 upvotes
Ontario
I bought a brush awhile ago at Canadian Tire that had 'natural' bristles made of coconut husks or bamboo,can't remember what material it was made of. H50
Aug 13, 2011
729 posts
306 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
I just bought one of these bristle free brushes from Lee Valley. I'm out of propane so haven't tried it.

I have a Napoleon and have curved grates so I couldn't use the cedar plank.
That chargon looks interesting too.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7193 posts
2227 upvotes
0 downvotes
i use a metal brush, but when im done i use a paper towel soaked in water and wipe the grill down and all those little metal bristles get caught with the papier towel so i saved myself from choking on them a dosen times from what i cleaned,
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20506 posts
13884 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
There are a lot of great recommendations here so there's no point in adding my 2 cents for which product to use but I will chime in that in the next few weeks is probably the BEST time to buy the cleaning instrument of your choice as well as other BBQ accessories as they typically go on clearance about now for 50% off or more! Unfortunately, most of the sales aren't advertised so you have to go into the stores and look.

Good time to get that pizza stone, replacement parts, cleaning supplies...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1814 upvotes
Thornhill
Squirrel99 wrote: Get a cedar scraper, so much better than a wire brush
Lol, I use a paint-stirring stick from the HD paint department. Used to use cedar shims, but ran out.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)