• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 3:47 pm
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
333 posts
150 upvotes
Victoria, BC

need help with audio output issue, with my android tv box

so i got my dad an android box, "Android 9.0 TV Box, Pendoo X6 PRO Android TV Box" ,

https://www.amazon.ca/Pendoo-X6-PRO-Dua ... TX4BNR57WS

and we found out its an issue with the audio receiving signal on the tv. older sharp tv, model" lc-60e77un

Its saying "an incompatible audio signal has been received. check the output settings." we know its the tv cause the audio worked fine, through the hdmi cable on his computer monitor, with speakers.

we tried everything in the stock setting in the android os(android 9.0) it came with. and couldn't find anything to fix the issue. does anyone know any ways to fix this? or is there an app or or something i can install on the box that can send/change a the audio signal? so we can fix the issue? or is the only option a different box? or probably get a different tv(we hope this isn't the case)?

any help or suggestions is extremely appreciated. thanks for your time and consideration.
~You're the average of the five people, you most associate with.~
11 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11486 posts
3880 upvotes
Winnipeg
well if its not working send it back you have a justified reason. This is a better buy better soc too around 11 bucks cheaper too with coupon
https://www.amazon.ca/Android-TaNix-Dua ... ics&sr=1-5

now my guess is its recognizing the hdmi thru the eide but not hdmi over audio and generally reset audio properties to default is the fix. Now if no go its either your tv or the hdmi cable so try another.But double check under audio settings in android and make sure you selected hdmi. If still no go and the box has an audio port use the cable if it came with one or if you have an 3.5mm audio cable around try it to your tv.

But maybe hit the volume button on the android remote and make sure its cranked all the way up.

Honestly a fire tv is a better buy all around
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7523 posts
8089 upvotes
Vancouver
There are many possible audio encodings that can be delivered over a digital audio channel like HDMI. Your Android media player has a default audio output encoding for the default GUI sounds, but when playing media it could be passing through whatever audio track the media file contains with whatever encoding it used, or it could be set to transcode it to something different.

Right now it sounds like the old TV doesn't recognize the digital audio encoding you are using, while the computer monitor does.

So step 1 is to figure out what audio encoding setting your box is outputting by default. Unfortunately this setting appears in different places with different launchers and different versions of Android, so you may have to hunt around for it in your audio settings. Then experiment with the options available. Usually some sort of linear PCM encoding option is the simplest and most likely to be recognized.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
333 posts
150 upvotes
Victoria, BC
lead wrote: well if its not working send it back you have a justified reason. This is a better buy better soc too around 11 bucks cheaper too with coupon
https://www.amazon.ca/Android-TaNix-Dua ... ics&sr=1-5

now my guess is its recognizing the hdmi thru the eide but not hdmi over audio and generally reset audio properties to default is the fix. Now if no go its either your tv or the hdmi cable so try another.But double check under audio settings in android and make sure you selected hdmi. If still no go and the box has an audio port use the cable if it came with one or if you have an 3.5mm audio cable around try it to your tv.

But maybe hit the volume button on the android remote and make sure its cranked all the way up.

Honestly a fire tv is a better buy all around
yeah its fro sure the tv, as the computer monitor worked. we tried messing around with the settings and everything we could possibly think of for like 3 hours..... including everything you mentioned. but thanks so much for the ideas and input. getting a different box will probably have the same issue though wont it? aren't they all running the same hardware/software pretty much?

fire tv hey? is it just as functional? for kodi and iptv and all that? my dad doesnt wanna learn a bunch of new stuff. so that's kind of why we thought the android box was familiar enough it would be good.
Scote64 wrote: There are many possible audio encodings that can be delivered over a digital audio channel like HDMI. Your Android media player has a default audio output encoding for the default GUI sounds, but when playing media it could be passing through whatever audio track the media file contains with whatever encoding it used, or it could be set to transcode it to something different.

Right now it sounds like the old TV doesn't recognize the digital audio encoding you are using, while the computer monitor does.

So step 1 is to figure out what audio encoding setting your box is outputting by default. Unfortunately this setting appears in different places with different launchers and different versions of Android, so you may have to hunt around for it in your audio settings. Then experiment with the options available. Usually some sort of linear PCM encoding option is the simplest and most likely to be recognized.
ic, yeah its basically just saying that message every time its connected, like the audio signal is just not the right coding for the tv to recognize, like you have said. any idea where to start looking? we already basically looked everywhere and i don't think we came across it. even enabled developer options. is there an app in the play store i can get that just changes the audio output codec/signal or whatever is the issue? i have been trying to find something like that(unfortunately, not with any luck, so far :P), as it seems like the easiest solution, if it exists.
Oct 1, 2009
639 posts
296 upvotes
West coast
How about trying a different hdmi port on the tv?

Also, you didn't mention if video was working.

Does the box have a 3.5mm Jack? If so, plug a head phone to see if you have sound there.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7523 posts
8089 upvotes
Vancouver
jointedhornet wrote: any idea where to start looking?
I have two generic Android media players. On the older one, the audio setting you need was a function in the Settings of the custom launcher and was not in the Android settings. On the newer one, it's in the customer launcher, but it just accesses the Android audio settings.

Most of these boxes don't have a headphone jack, but the do have an analog stereo AV output using the same 3.5 mm jack. That will probably work if you connect it to an audio input on the TV because it is set to output analog stereo no matter what the HDMI audio setting is. But you would need to connect an extra cable, and you would get only stereo sound.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
333 posts
150 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Scote64 wrote: I have two generic Android media players. On the older one, the audio setting you need was a function in the Settings of the custom launcher and was not in the Android settings. On the newer one, it's in the customer launcher, but it just accesses the Android audio settings.

Most of these boxes don't have a headphone jack, but the do have an analog stereo AV output using the same 3.5 mm jack. That will probably work if you connect it to an audio input on the TV because it is set to output analog stereo no matter what the HDMI audio setting is. But you would need to connect an extra cable, and you would get only stereo sound.
no 3.5mm jack. i dont want to limit the audio either.....

yeah the customer launcher on this box, is pretty bad. doesn't even have the advanced settings, under system like i have seen for fixes of this issue. and the audio section doesn't even have the solution i have found elsewhere. if i get a different launcher or is there some app i can install on the box that will give me different access to settings? or some sort of settings app that will allow me to access everything? or should i maybe install a different os? or root it or something? i don't really wanna return this thing. im determined to figure out the solution :P
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11486 posts
3880 upvotes
Winnipeg
jointedhornet wrote: no 3.5mm jack. i dont want to limit the audio either.....

yeah the customer launcher on this box, is pretty bad. doesn't even have the advanced settings, under system like i have seen for fixes of this issue. and the audio section doesn't even have the solution i have found elsewhere. if i get a different launcher or is there some app i can install on the box that will give me different access to settings? or some sort of settings app that will allow me to access everything? or should i maybe install a different os? or root it or something? i don't really wanna return this thing. im determined to figure out the solution :P
return it. I still think its pausible either a setting in the tv or the hdmi cable or the box.Heck sometimes just using a hdmi switch to remove protection helps. For instance try going into your tv's audio and turn off dolby and if still no go play with your tv's audio settings while watching something and see if audio kicks in.

Buy the one I posted or try a firetv. Its cheaper, it has an av 3.5mm vs that boxes spdif 3.5mm which will take a more expensive cable if it didn't come with it. The reason I don't think its your tv is becuase I have used android boxes on older lcd's than yours which had finniky edide hdmi on even older android os and they just work. Otherwise go to the buck store buy an rca3.5 mm cable for a couple of bucks and maybe just maybe see if that will work in its spdif 3.5 mm.

Your not limiting the audio if its straight to tv. The tv's speakers already limit audio and its not if any difference directly on the tv. Digital sound bar sure.

Again if possible return it.

Heres the exact same box for 50 both still don't even come with gigabit.
https://www.amazon.ca/Android-Antenna-T ... cs&sr=1-70
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4177 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What TV does your dad have? If it's newer model, then he must have an SPDIF port (optical port), try connecting that to the sound, then after you connect it go to your TV and select external sound in Sound settings. And have you tried other HDMI ports? Maybe you're using the ARC port and it's best to use that with a receiver.

But to my 2 cents in, get a BUZZTV XRS4500 box. The RAM is less and all, but it's great for IPTV as it has a native IPTV player!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
333 posts
150 upvotes
Victoria, BC
lead wrote: return it. I still think its pausible either a setting in the tv or the hdmi cable or the box.Heck sometimes just using a hdmi switch to remove protection helps. For instance try going into your tv's audio and turn off dolby and if still no go play with your tv's audio settings while watching something and see if audio kicks in.

Buy the one I posted or try a firetv. Its cheaper, it has an av 3.5mm vs that boxes spdif 3.5mm which will take a more expensive cable if it didn't come with it. The reason I don't think its your tv is becuase I have used android boxes on older lcd's than yours which had finniky edide hdmi on even older android os and they just work. Otherwise go to the buck store buy an rca3.5 mm cable for a couple of bucks and maybe just maybe see if that will work in its spdif 3.5 mm.

Your not limiting the audio if its straight to tv. The tv's speakers already limit audio and its not if any difference directly on the tv. Digital sound bar sure.

Again if possible return it.

Heres the exact same box for 50 both still don't even come with gigabit.
https://www.amazon.ca/Android-Antenna-T ... cs&sr=1-70
alright cool, thanks for the tips on the box. we got the first one on amazon so i guess its probably pretty easy to return hey?(I've never tried returning to amazon, but ive heard its easy. they just send u a return label and shipping is free too isnt it?) would be nice if the one u recommend just worked through the hdmi. cause my dad has his audio all setup through the optical to a soundbar so we were thinking the audio just goes through the tv, through the hdmi, than out to the soundbar like the cable box and old mxIII.

the box u recommended has a spdif though doesnt it? i just saw in the pic. also is that a sale price? should we act fast or is that price here to stay?
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
333 posts
150 upvotes
Victoria, BC
lamboman wrote: What TV does your dad have? If it's newer model, then he must have an SPDIF port (optical port), try connecting that to the sound, then after you connect it go to your TV and select external sound in Sound settings. And have you tried other HDMI ports? Maybe you're using the ARC port and it's best to use that with a receiver.

But to my 2 cents in, get a BUZZTV XRS4500 box. The RAM is less and all, but it's great for IPTV as it has a native IPTV player!
yeah we tried many hdmi cables, and every hdmi port. sound came through on his monitor fine without doing anything to any settings..
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11486 posts
3880 upvotes
Winnipeg
jointedhornet wrote: alright cool, thanks for the tips on the box. we got the first one on amazon so i guess its probably pretty easy to return hey?(I've never tried returning to amazon, but ive heard its easy. they just send u a return label and shipping is free too isnt it?) would be nice if the one u recommend just worked through the hdmi. cause my dad has his audio all setup through the optical to a soundbar so we were thinking the audio just goes through the tv, through the hdmi, than out to the soundbar like the cable box and old mxIII.

the box u recommended has a spdif though doesn't it? i just saw in the pic. also is that a sale price? should we act fast or is that price here to stay?
no just av.

what do you need optical for on the android....if the only port is already being used by soundbar from the tv as the tv would have to have the audio preference setup as optical audio out to work for everything connected you wouldn't need it. You'd only need it if it were the only device using optical to the soundbar alone.

That said did you try hdmi with soundbar not connected sound fr tv only.