• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2021 12:47 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote

Need Help for basement insulation

Hi

We had a water leak in one of the rooms in the basement. We took out the drywall and found two holes in the wall behind the drywall. The holes were not closed properly and, from there, the water was leaking behind the drywall. We closed the two holes with the mortar.

Recently, we hired a contractor and repaired the chimney. The small pieces of bricks keep falling from the chimney and, there was an opening beside the chimney. According to the contractor, it may cause a water leak in the basement.

We found some gaps in the exterior walls on the driveway and filled those gaps with construction sealant (Polyurethane).

Now we are planning to use Rockwool insulation to insulate the room again. We visited home depot and found that the Rockwool insulation is available for 4-inch * 2-inch and 6-inch * 2-inch stud sizes. We found a weird stud size in the basement (3-inch * 4-inch). I am attaching few pictures of the frame. I need some advice.
Images
  • 20210726_225436.jpg
  • 20210726_225719.jpg
  • 20210726_225728.jpg
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
Mohdali4 wrote: Now we are planning to use Rockwool insulation to insulate the room again. We visited home depot and found that the Rockwool insulation is available for 4-inch * 2-inch and 6-inch * 2-inch stud sizes. We found a weird stud size in the basement (3-inch * 4-inch). I am attaching few pictures of the frame. I need some advice.
You have two basic options:

Buy the 2x4 size and stuff it in there. It will compress a bit which will lower the R value, but probably good enough.

Shim out the wall so its the property depth.

Bonus option for best performance and most cost would be spray foam.

Also.... off on a tangent, what did you use to fill up the holes? Hydraulic Cement? Mortar? Just wondering if its actually waterproof so you won't be doing this again.....
[OP]
Aug 25, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote
THanks for your reply. We used mortar to fill the holes.