• Feb 6th, 2021 5:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8894 posts
1915 upvotes
London

Need help with budget home theatre receiver

I have an old home theatre receiver, only support Dolby pro logic, no sub woofer support. Anyway, I have front and rear speakers plus centre speaker. Wondering which one to get Yamaha RXV385 or the Sony STRDH590, they are both $350.

Not going to get a sub woofer until later but need good ARC support so I don't have to use too many remotes. Thanks in advance.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4572 posts
1584 upvotes
apvm wrote: I have an old home theatre receiver, only support Dolby pro logic, no sub woofer support. Anyway, I have front and rear speakers plus centre speaker. Wondering which one to get Yamaha RXV385 or the Sony STRDH590, they are both $350.

Not going to get a sub woofer until later but need good ARC support so I don't have to use too many remotes. Thanks in advance.
A 5.0 setup ... definitely add a subwoofer (Polk Audio HTS line or the Klipsch Reference line) ... you will feel and hear the difference.

Go with the Denon AVR-S540BT ... both at the same price at Bestbuy.ca and Visions.ca

Try going through the RFD Home Theatre Discussion Thread
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2