Home & Garden

Need help buying BBQ, new BBQ better than used Weber?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2017 12:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2541 posts
583 upvotes
GTA

Need help buying BBQ, new BBQ better than used Weber?

I've been searching for the right BBQ, new home buy so I've never owned one.

My budget is the best value I can get - not wanting to spend big $$ on one, but want good value.

Canadian Tire his this special Coleman for sale - looks like a good price, but I know Canadian Tire BBQ's are not in the highest regard.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/colem ... p.html#srp

There is a Weber E310 used from 2014 on kijiji listed for $425.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-bbq-outdoor-cook ... nFlag=true

My question, if my max budget was around $400 (I can go higher if justified), what would be the best option? - is a used Weber better than a new average BBQ?
I also don't like paying retail prices for things for the most part, they need to be on sale! Can I expect big sales coming in Spring?

BTW - NG only BBQ's i've been looking for.

There is only two of us living in this house, although we will occasionally have guests, 90% of the time it will just be two of us, so we don't need massive grilling spaces.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $5758.00
37 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2590 posts
1077 upvotes
Mississauga
Get the Weber but not that one. You can get a Genesis model line of similar vintage for $350-450 on kijiji if you keep looking. They sell fast so just be prepared to act fast.

The Spirit model line is made in China. I have a NG Spirit E-310 from 2013 and looks about thesame condition as the one in your ad. The burner tunes are stainless steel and still work like new. The flavoriser bars and grills are the only parts that are porcelain enamelled which will be due for replacement this summer or next. I'll be getting stainless steel weber new ones
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2541 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
bubuski wrote: Get the Weber but not that one. You can get a Genesis model line of similar vintage for $350-450 on kijiji if you keep looking. They sell fast so just be prepared to act fast.

The Spirit model line is made in China. I have a NG Spirit E-310 from 2013 and looks about thesame condition as the one in your ad. The burner tunes are stainless steel and still work like new. The flavoriser bars and grills are the only parts that are porcelain enamelled which will be due for replacement this summer or next. I'll be getting stainless steel weber new ones
Which Genesis models were you thinking specifically, some of them on kijiji look in rough shape.
So the Spirit E310 is no good?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2590 posts
1077 upvotes
Mississauga
blues45 wrote: Which Genesis models were you thinking specifically, some of them on kijiji look in rough shape.
So the Spirit E310 is no good?
The Genesis E310. They come on kijiji but sell fast. I'm been watching it for a while as I'm on the fence to upgrade my spirit but it's been hard to justify selling mine used and buying another used one.

The spirit line is good. The weak parts for the spirit e-310 are the flavorizer bar and gill which are porcelain enameled. Weber has stainless steel replacements that last a lifetime. The ad you posted already has the grill replaced as a bonus.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2541 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
bubuski wrote: The Genesis E310. They come on kijiji but sell fast. I'm been watching it for a while as I'm on the fence to upgrade my spirit but it's been hard to justify selling mine used and buying another used one.

The spirit line is good. The weak parts for the spirit e-310 are the flavorizer bar and gill which are porcelain enameled. Weber has stainless steel replacements that last a lifetime. The ad you posted already has the grill replaced as a bonus.
How much would you consider selling your spirit for?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6369 posts
2638 upvotes
If you look long enough on Kijiji you should be able to find a Weber Genesis or even an older Weber Summit at a decent price. Be prepared to act quickly as the good BBQ's are snapped up quickly.
Keep in mind the BBQ for sale category on Kijiji is a bit sparse in Winter - as people start getting ready for the Spring BBQ season you should see more for sale postings.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2541 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
plymouthhater wrote: If you look long enough on Kijiji you should be able to find a Weber Genesis or even an older Weber Summit at a decent price. Be prepared to act quickly as the good BBQ's are snapped up quickly.
Keep in mind the BBQ for sale category on Kijiji is a bit sparse in Winter - as people start getting ready for the Spring BBQ season you should see more for sale postings.
I'll keep an eye out. So a used weber at $400 range is better than I new one in the same price category?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2590 posts
1077 upvotes
Mississauga
blues45 wrote: How much would you consider selling your spirit for?
My guess is possibly $250-300 for mine. I bought it new for $460 tax-in on clearance.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13980 posts
8387 upvotes
Toronto
I've had a sub $300 broil-king for 7 years now and I use it at least 2-3 times a week during the winter and 3-5 times in the summer. I haven't replaced any parts in it. Granted my next bbq, I would like to have a Weber, but buying them used? I get cars, etc... but I just wouldn't have figured something 'personal' as a bbq. To me, that's like buying used underwear.

Is it really worth it? The guy doesn't say how long it's been in commission and only that he's expecting to get 1/2 of the price of a new one. How do you value a used bbq? Sounds like there's a large demand for it on the kijiji. This is interesting...
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6369 posts
2638 upvotes
blues45 wrote: I'll keep an eye out. So a used weber at $400 range is better than I new one in the same price category?
You won't get much for $400 new - Weber have moved much of their production to China (since Weber was purchased by an investment group - the Spirit line and the new Genesis II line are made in China. The quality of the 1st generation Genesis and Summit BBQ's is higher.
One other bit of advice - check out content sales (since you are in the GTA - start watching the following contents sale websites: thenextmove.ca, sellmystuffcanada, transitionsquad, thegreatestatesale, timothyloughmillerestatesales)
Last edited by plymouthhater on Feb 9th, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6116 posts
849 upvotes
Greely
I would highly recommend a Weber... Bought ours in 2001 (Genesis Silver B), use it A LOT, and just last year I replaced the flavorizer bars only. Burner and stainless steel grill are still going strong. Even the ignitor still works.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2345 posts
313 upvotes
North York
blues45 wrote: Canadian Tire his this special Coleman for sale - looks like a good price, but I know Canadian Tire BBQ's are not in the highest regard.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/colem ... p.html#srp
I have the three burner version of this, and wouldn't buy it again.

It needs a cover, otherwise rain will fill up and overflow the drip tray even with the lid closed, which makes a big mess, and makes the lower section unsuitable for storage of anything. The covers never go on sale so budget an additional $70-90 on top of the purchase price.

In a light wind it won't keep temperature, the thermo isn't accurate and is very optimistic (reads 100-150'F high). In the late fall/winter it's basically unusable as it won't heat up enough to grill, unless it's a warm day. On the plus side, parts are easy enough to get through coleman support (replaced the ignition button, burner stand and tank scale, the burner stand and tank scale need to be replaced again).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2541 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
cliff wrote: I have the three burner version of this, and wouldn't buy it again.

It needs a cover, otherwise rain will fill up and overflow the drip tray even with the lid closed, which makes a big mess, and makes the lower section unsuitable for storage of anything. The covers never go on sale so budget an additional $70-90 on top of the purchase price.

In a light wind it won't keep temperature, the thermo isn't accurate and is very optimistic (reads 100-150'F high). In the late fall/winter it's basically unusable as it won't heat up enough to grill, unless it's a warm day. On the plus side, parts are easy enough to get through coleman support (replaced the ignition button, burner stand and tank scale, the burner stand and tank scale need to be replaced again).
there is someone with the exact same complaint about the drip tray filling up posted on the CT website, I wonder if thats you.
I noticed someone posted in the Hot Deals section that CT was clearing out the covers for the Colemans in-store for about $20.

but seems like a used Weber is better than anything new in this price range based on consensus so far...
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2345 posts
313 upvotes
North York
nope, never posted on CT. I've posted once or twice on RFD about it, I'm surprised more people don't complain about it, it really is a defective design.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12103 posts
3410 upvotes
GTA
Got a Broil King Signet 3 years ago and use it about 5 days a week. It still works like new.

Previously I'd gone through two Walmart garbage where certain parts of the grilling surface would be hotter than others and you'd have to cook accordingly.They rust fast too.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)