Real Estate

Need Help. Can't decide between 2 floorplans. Which would you choose and why?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 10:41 am
[OP]
Aug 29, 2003
396 posts

Need Help. Can't decide between 2 floorplans. Which would you choose and why?

Hello everyone,

I have narrowed down a pre-construction location and development but can't decide on which home/floorplan to move forward with. Which would you choose and why? I would really appreciate the advise/input.

I plan to live in this home for at least 5-10 years but also trying to pick a home that will "check all the boxes" from a resale perspective when I plan to sell.

Option 1 is great because it's very open concept and has a step up great room with high ceilings and walkout balcony. However, due to the walk up great room, the bedroom sizes are smaller.

Option 2 is attractive because it's a slightly larger home, has bedrooms all with ensuites, has a den and a niche on the second floor and will have a bigger basement. The issue I have with option 2 is the fact that the main foyer is not that large and the first room you walk into at the front of the home is the dining room. You need to walk through the dining room in order to get to the rest of the home.

Am I making too much of a big deal of the dining room location in option 2?

Option 1 has a good flow but has smaller bedrooms, less bathrooms and a slightly smaller finished basement

Option 2 appears to check all of the boxes but has the dining room at the front of the home.

Option 1:
3228 sqft with 1233 sqft finished basement (includes 3 piece bathroom)
4 bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms - 10' ceilings main, 9' second floor and basement
Very open concept.
Powder room/half bath at front entrance off the foyer
Walk in coat closet near entrance off the foyer
Walk up great groom with 16' tall ceilings.
Front balcony off great room with 2 sets of French doors
Laundry off great room on main floor
Open concept kitchen/living/dining
Master bedroom has large walk-in closet
Bedroom 2 – Three piece ensuite with glass shower
Bedroom 3 & 4 shared bathroom

Option 2:
3421 sqft with 1250 sqft finished basement (includes 3 piece bathroom)
4 bedrooms + Den + loft, 5.5 bathrooms - 10' ceilings main, 9' second floor and basement
Walk in coat closet near entrance off the foyer
Separate servery niche between kitchen and dining room
Open concept kitchen, breakfast and family room.
Kitchen has dedicated walk-in pantry
Dedicated Den on main floor. French doors
2 sided floor to ceiling tiled fireplace split between family room and den
Large laundry/mud room off garage
Large master bedroom with his/er walk in closets
Bedroom 2 – walk in closet and three piece ensuite with tub
Bedroom 3 – walk in closet and three piece ensuite with tub
Bedroom 4 – Three piece ensuite with glass shower
Loft area on second floor
Images
  • 41-05.JPG
  • 41-03.JPG
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9582 posts
7165 upvotes
Option 1 downstairs with option 2 upstairs lol
Dec 28, 2010
645 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
Without reading your lengthy description and reviewing the layouts first, I too came to the conclusion that dinning room in front was not that great. Something with a mix of both options would have been ideal. Main floor of option 1 + Upper floor of second option,but yeah considering it's not a custom build, you are stuck with builder design that they thought was ideal. This is easily a $1.4mil or + build, if in suburbs of GTA , sad that we can't modify layouts at these prices. The build industry, needs a shakeup with the advancement of technology, AI, VR etc..
Congrats and good luck with your purchase.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2003
396 posts
This is my dilemma. Do I prioritize the better open concept main floor in option 1 or the better second floor with the larger bedrooms in option 2?
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4605 posts
2244 upvotes
Toronto
is this stouffville? looks like fieldgate design. horrible
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3377 posts
610 upvotes
GTA
The rooms are too small in option 1. Also, is the garage in the basement, or a half story before the main? If so, that's another knock against #1.

The dining room is not great in #2, but I'd live with that especially since 99% of the time you and your family will be entering the home from the garage and not the front door.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3514 posts
2866 upvotes
Option 2

Dining room is nothing more than a walk through. Unless you use it regularly as a dining room, it is nothing more than a 224 sq ft foyer. Laundry room on the 1st floor isn’t ideal. Every bedroom with its own washroom is a lot of toilets and baths to clean. The loft area upstairs will also most likely be unused 154 sq ft space.

Option 1

That is another example of the split level homes that are making a resurgence. Horrible plan for noise and families as lots of open levels. How many couches do you own? The plan has 3 living rooms all within the same sigh lines and 2 dining areas. The doors that swing in at the Great Room limit your furniture placement. I don’t know where you could watch tv in that plan and not be able to hear it throughout the entire house.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44544 posts
5113 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Personally I loathe split levels so I would only be able to choose option 2. Dining room in the front sucks, but you can consider being creative and using that as the Living area instead. Of course that means the use of the servery is diminished.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3486 posts
1378 upvotes
Grimsby
Just my personal opinion, but I can’t stand layouts where you walk into a dining room or walk through a dining/living room space to get through to the rest of the house.

With 3000+ sq ft I feel like theres so much more potential to be creative. Would be nice to have a bit more of a defined hallway through to the kitchen and family room area.

Are you stuck with choosing between these two? Can you customize at all?

Also, Option 1, is there a garage below the great room? I do like when the garage has an entrance toward the kitchen space.
Dec 26, 2011
318 posts
81 upvotes
Ottawa
No laundry on second floor on a 3000+ sqft home? Pass.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8638 posts
1341 upvotes
Option 2 if I had to absolutely choose one but both aren’t my idea plan for a 3000+ sq ft house.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!