• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2017 12:35 pm
[OP]
Feb 3, 2014
217 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto

Need help for car mechanic and new battery

am in Toronto/GTA. Now, 2009 Hyundai GL sedan needs a battery change and reliable/trusted (and reasonably priced) mechanic. This is first time experience so, completely unaware...I am not a techy guy.

1: Battery: Which is reliable and reasonably priced battery and shop to buy it? Any other suggestion for battery and seller please?

I searched for battery at CT, Active Green Ross, WM and CAA. (**Btw, Costco does not manufacture battery for this car**)
- CT: Motomaster battery has various extreme reviews from worst to best. It is 60% says worst battery ever, 20% says average battery, 20% says best battery.
- Active Green Ross: Die Hard battery are little pricey. They gave "professionally" with incorrect advise for many repairs and very high invoices/quotes!!
- WM: Employee advised - not to buy their battery.
- CAA: Pricey.

Therefore, can you please suggest good battery and trusted shop to buy? Any other suggestion is also welcome.

2: Any suggestion for a reasonably priced and trusted mechanic for regular maintenance (like brake, lubrication, regular check, some noise hear and there... etc) of car please ?
Some advt on Kijiji and google search turned out pricey...
20 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12983 posts
13111 upvotes
Oakville
As far as I'm aware, Hyundai doesn't make a "GL" sedan. Do you mean Elantra GT?
Part Source is a good place to go. If you want a better battery, you'll pay more. They can sell you a standard battery, or an AGM battery for much more.
A battery is pretty easy to change yourself.

If you want a specific shop recommendation, you better tell us where you live. GTA is a pretty big place.
Altech in Etobicoke is good for suspension work/alignments.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11969 posts
1823 upvotes
I think the car might require idle relearn if battery completely removed....... Recommended to go somewhere that will relearn if loss or have tools so the learn procedure is kept....
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1814 posts
1168 upvotes
Wizerman wrote: am in Toronto/GTA. Now, 2009 Hyundai GL sedan needs a battery change and reliable/trusted (and reasonably priced) mechanic. This is first time experience so, completely unaware...I am not a techy guy.

1: Battery: Which is reliable and reasonably priced battery and shop to buy it? Any other suggestion for battery and seller please?

I searched for battery at CT, Active Green Ross, WM and CAA. (**Btw, Costco does not manufacture battery for this car**)
- CT: Motomaster battery has various extreme reviews from worst to best. It is 60% says worst battery ever, 20% says average battery, 20% says best battery.
- Active Green Ross: Die Hard battery are little pricey. They gave "professionally" with incorrect advise for many repairs and very high invoices/quotes!!

Therefore, can you please suggest good battery and trusted shop to buy? Any other suggestion is also welcome.

2: Any suggestion for a reasonably priced and trusted mechanic for regular maintenance (like brake, lubrication, regular check, some noise hear and there... etc) of car please ?
If you're out in east GTA (Oshawa) I got a mechanic that I've had for years since he was a neighbor and can PM you details if you or anyone wishes.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14655 posts
3947 upvotes
London
If you don't know "who" or 'what", just call the CAA mobile battery service. They come to you and install
Jan 3, 2005
697 posts
105 upvotes
Costco's Kirkland brand batteries are great.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2014
217 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: As far as I'm aware, Hyundai doesn't make a "GL" sedan. Do you mean Elantra GT?
Part Source is a good place to go. If you want a better battery, you'll pay more. They can sell you a standard battery, or an AGM battery for much more.
A battery is pretty easy to change yourself.

If you want a specific shop recommendation, you better tell us where you live. GTA is a pretty big place.
Altech in Etobicoke is good for suspension work/alignments.
Hi Engineered,
Thanks for response and sorry for GL...!! You guessed it right. It's Elantra.
I am at Yonge and York Mills and willing to travel in 30KM range. I will visit Part Source.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2014
217 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
qaz393 wrote: I think the car might require idle relearn if battery completely removed....... Recommended to go somewhere that will relearn if loss or have tools so the learn procedure is kept....
Hi, I am sorry but, The relearn is a completely new word for me, as far as car is concerned...
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2548 posts
1833 upvotes
Wizerman wrote: Hi Engineered,
Thanks for response and sorry for GL...!! You guessed it right. It's Elantra.
I am at Yonge and York Mills and willing to travel in 30KM range. I will visit Part Source.
Gilman auto near scarborough town if budget....Igarage also gets RFD nod
Smash that like button!
[OP]
Feb 3, 2014
217 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: If you don't know "who" or 'what", just call the CAA mobile battery service. They come to you and install
Thanks! I did. $199.99 including installation.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2014
217 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
Rokkin wrote: Costco's Kirkland brand batteries are great.
Costco does not manufacture this battery. Called Customer care and visited too. The manager was helpful (as always) but, he confirmed and re-re-confirmed it. Otherwise, I would have bought straight away! But, thanks a lot for your time, Rokkin!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3259 posts
907 upvotes
Edmonton
Wizerman wrote: Costco does not manufacture this battery. Called Customer care and visited too. The manager was helpful (as always) but, he confirmed and re-re-confirmed it. Otherwise, I would have bought straight away! But, thanks a lot for your time, Rokkin!
Wizerman wrote: am in Toronto/GTA. Now, 2009 Hyundai GL sedan needs a battery change and reliable/trusted (and reasonably priced) mechanic. This is first time experience so, completely unaware...I am not a techy guy.

There aren't many lead acid battery manufactueres, and in US/Canada its mostly just 3: Exide, Johnson Controls and East Penn.
So Costco, CT, Walmart, Active Green ross ALL DO NOT manufacture the battery....

You could have gone to Costco and get a group 35..... apparently it fits
battery-sizes-elantra-touring-1659805/
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Banned
Mar 18, 2014
88 posts
27 upvotes
Vaughan
You could possibly get a bigger battery from Costco that's what I did just removed the battery box and got more cranking power with the bigger battery Smiling Face With Sunglasses
[OP]
Feb 3, 2014
217 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
Hussle91 wrote: You could possibly get a bigger battery from Costco that's what I did just removed the battery box and got more cranking power with the bigger battery Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Really?!!?? It can be done/ Can larger battery damage car or electric system? I am completely unaware... So, please don't laugh at my concerns/question...
[OP]
Feb 3, 2014
217 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
Hussle91 wrote: You could possibly get a bigger battery from Costco that's what I did just removed the battery box and got more cranking power with the bigger battery Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Elantra needs 121R battery. I donot know what " 121R" stands for...