Careers

Need help from CFIA employees, who's taken the organizational values test (OVT)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2023 8:24 am
Tags:
Aug 15, 2006
670 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto

Need help from CFIA employees, who's taken the organizational values test (OVT)

I'm going to be writing this this week and I need help, I passed the SJT and now I have to do this next assessment. I don't like going into things without knowing what to expect, I don't know how to prep for this and I can only ask for anyone who's applied or those who are working in the CFIA to give me some tips and examples.

Yes, I've already read that big thread with those discussing federal assessments but there is little on the CFIA, so I just wanted to put this out there in hopes that someone can give me some insight.

Thanks in advance.
1280 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Sounds like an in-house assessment. Study up on the CFIA's values and ethics. Any test will be based on that.
(Check your pm)
Feb 11, 2013
1 posts
Winnipeg
Beachdown wrote: Sounds like an in-house assessment. Study up on the CFIA's values and ethics. Any test will be based on that.
(Check your pm)
I have pass the SJT test for CFIA as well. Where I can find CFIA's values and ethics?

Thanks.
Feb 11, 2013
97 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal
I can see all the post come from today. Last night they delivered the mailing list to schedule the OVT next week. I did the SJT and then come with this. I have been reading samples of the OVT, looks like SJT or similar. More deeply questions about organizationals values and I have been talking with the inspectors the last two years, the CFIA work hard with their employees about this values and ethic. I talked few weeks ago with the HR manager that scheduled the last test and she told me this process come directly from Ottawa, if you read it you will see more than 120 open positions, all Canada is there. If you print the process information you will see at page 7 the SEI, the SJT and then the OVT may be used to determine selection by appointment. I think our situation is NOT TOO BAD, this is the second of the three steps, I can see if all run ok with this they will call you to do the SEI. More surprises could come, if you read the process you will see they can schedule 6 weeks at Rigaud center (the same one of the Border agents I think) to do more trainning and test about this organizational values :lol: Be prepared ... faireworks and surprises are coming, this is not a regular process I can see Peace Daniel
:facepalm:

winterfreshgrin wrote: I'm going to be writing this this week and I need help, I passed the SJT and now I have to do this next assessment. I don't like going into things without knowing what to expect, I don't know how to prep for this and I can only ask for anyone who's applied or those who are working in the CFIA to give me some tips and examples.

Yes, I've already read that big thread with those discussing federal assessments but there is little on the CFIA, so I just wanted to put this out there in hopes that someone can give me some insight.

Thanks in advance.
Nov 19, 2012
31 posts
1 upvote
Hey Daniel,

I couldn't find any sample OVTs. Do you mind sharing?
Feb 12, 2013
46 posts
8 upvotes
I couldn't find the sample OVTs either, would you mind sharing with me as well?
By the way, how many questions are in this test?
Feb 11, 2013
97 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal
I did the exam yestarday, more simple than the SJT, two parts, the first one is a piramid about organizational values, the other one comportamental I think, my positive comment is stay calm, more simple than the other one, faster in less than 45 minutes you are out. Good luck everyone
Feb 12, 2013
46 posts
8 upvotes
I've no idea how I did the first one, is there any time limits on the pyramid question? I thought I did over half an hour
Feb 11, 2013
97 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal
no time limit, you have a timer at the top of the screen but the notice that I received said is around 45 min. The timer i think is to give you and idea about the reference timing. Half and hour for the pyramidal one ? so how long was the second part? 3 hours ?... by the way, no timing, no penality if you need more time than the reference one... good luck everyone Dan
Feb 12, 2013
46 posts
8 upvotes
When I did the pyramid ranking question, I notice my timer on the top left side showing "00:00:00" all the time, and when I moved on to the second part, it started timing for 20 minutes, I submitted my test when there's only 16 seconds left.
Chicagoglobetroter wrote: no time limit, you have a timer at the top of the screen but the notice that I received said is around 45 min. The timer i think is to give you and idea about the reference timing. Half and hour for the pyramidal one ? so how long was the second part? 3 hours ?... by the way, no timing, no penality if you need more time than the reference one... good luck everyone Dan
Feb 29, 2012
5 posts
winterfreshgrin wrote: I'm going to be writing this this week and I need help, I passed the SJT and now I have to do this next assessment. I don't like going into things without knowing what to expect, I don't know how to prep for this and I can only ask for anyone who's applied or those who are working in the CFIA to give me some tips and examples.

Thanks in advance.

hey

I submitted my OVT assessment on Wednesday, and have not yet received a follow up saying if they will proceed further or not.
Has anyone else heard and update? or know when we will be informed about further procedures?

thanks.
Feb 18, 2013
96 posts
45 upvotes
fasihpirzada wrote: hey

I submitted my OVT assessment on Wednesday, and have not yet received a follow up saying if they will proceed further or not.
Has anyone else heard and update? or know when we will be informed about further procedures?

thanks.
Wrote my OVT last Tuesday. I have yet to hear anything. I'm a little nervous since the last two assessment emails came on a Monday.
Feb 11, 2013
97 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal
I just received and email where they requested me to log in in the gc.ca site and resubmit my application. I entered in the site and only said is included in the inventory (that is true if not in the inventory I never could do the exam ovt). they ask me to resubmit to renew other 80 days my application ??? wird... other one received the same email ??
Feb 18, 2013
96 posts
45 upvotes
Chicagoglobetroter wrote: I just received and email where they requested me to log in in the gc.ca site and resubmit my application. I entered in the site and only said is included in the inventory (that is true if not in the inventory I never could do the exam ovt). they ask me to resubmit to renew other 80 days my application ??? wird... other one received the same email ??
I actually recieved that one on Sunday as well. It said my application would expire in 80 days and that I had to re-submit my application to confirm my interest. ... Not sure if this resubmit email is just an auto renewal email, an indication that I'm being passed over, or an indication that I'm going to the next step and need to confirm my interest to continue to the simulation stage?... And I have resubmitted if anyone was wondering.

Does anyone else have any extra info and/or received an email invite that confirms that they are proceeding to the simulation stage?

On a side note. Is the Inspector Simulation noted in our "assessment will commence in February ... " email an online test or is it the in-person all day test (as per the website)? The email stated this would occur the week of February 18th, but I'm not sure how this could be arranged so quickly if it's the in-person simulation. Furthermore, the email states all assessment tests are on-line, but the website indicates that this is an in-person all-day test.

Thank you and good luck to all.
Nov 19, 2012
31 posts
1 upvote
Chicagoglobetroter wrote: I just received and email where they requested me to log in in the gc.ca site and resubmit my application. I entered in the site and only said is included in the inventory (that is true if not in the inventory I never could do the exam ovt). they ask me to resubmit to renew other 80 days my application ??? wird... other one received the same email ??
That is just a generic email when your application gets older. I got that email a few days ago just to renew your application for inventory.
I also didn't hear anything back yet. Let's hope it comes soon!
Feb 18, 2013
23 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I passed SJT and I did OVT ,but I did not get any result yet. can anybody help regarding this please?
Feb 18, 2013
23 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,
May I please ask if anybody received OVT result. I wrote it on Thursday but I am still waiting for the result.
Feb 19, 2013
22 posts
3 upvotes
ahrkermani wrote: Hi,
May I please ask if anybody received OVT result. I wrote it on Thursday but I am still waiting for the result.
I have also not heard anything. Was wondering if I was the only one haha. Wrote the second test last week on Monday and have not heard anything about the simulation test that they say is supposed to be administered this week. Hope they tell us either way. The waiting and constant junk email checking is becoming my obsession for the week lol