Automotive

Need Help Choosing a Better Deal

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2019 9:43 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 24, 2018
23 posts
19 upvotes

Need Help Choosing a Better Deal

Hey RFDers,

I'm looking at buying a used Lexus CT200h this weekend but I'm unsure of which car to pick. I was hoping some of you can chyme in and help me with the decision. Both cars had 2 owners and no accidents.

Option 1:
Red 2013 CT200h Premium for ~15,500 CAD. I might be able to negotiate the price a bit lower.
• 132,000KM
• Has a detailed record of all the work done

Option 2:
Silver 2012 CT200h Touring for ~16,400 CAD. The seller is pretty firm on the price.
• 80,000KM
• Comes with a set of Winter & Summer Tires
• Has a detailed record up to about 1.5 years ago (the point when the new owner purchased the car).
• The seller claims to be a Toyota Hybrid Mechanic and said that he took care of all the maintenance on his own since he owned the car.
• Already took the car to a Lexus dealership to get in inspected and has a report showing that everything is in a good condition.

I guess the question comes to whether the ~$1,000 is worth the mileage difference and whether I should take the 2012 seller's word that the he worked on the car.

What do you think?
18 replies
Member
Nov 10, 2015
298 posts
255 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
If you took it to the dealer and they approved then why not. You also get $500-1000 worth of tires plus a lot less mileage. Make sure to check the date of the tires to see if they are recent (within the last 3ish years). Dont wanna get a set of "free" 8+ year old tires
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13275 posts
7410 upvotes
Toronto
option 2 in a heartbeat
Sr. Member
May 2, 2017
767 posts
1000 upvotes
Agreed, option 2 looks like the better deal with over 50,000 less km and an extra set of winter tires (assuming they are not worn out).
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3697 posts
2516 upvotes
GTA
$18500 for almost 8 year old small car? Unless you cheat on bill of sale, you will be charged taxes when you register the car.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
3949 posts
3325 upvotes
Oakville, ON
duckhawk1 wrote: Hey RFDers,

I'm looking at buying a used Lexus CT200h this weekend but I'm unsure of which car to pick. I was hoping some of you can chyme in and help me with the decision. Both cars had 2 owners and no accidents.

Option 1:
Red 2013 CT200h Premium for ~15,500 CAD. I might be able to negotiate the price a bit lower.
• 132,000KM
• Has a detailed record of all the work done

Option 2:
Silver 2012 CT200h Touring for ~16,400 CAD. The seller is pretty firm on the price.
80,000KM
Comes with a set of Winter & Summer Tires
• Has a detailed record up to about 1.5 years ago (the point when the new owner purchased the car).
• The seller claims to be a Toyota Hybrid Mechanic and said that he took care of all the maintenance on his own since he owned the car.
• Already took the car to a Lexus dealership to get in inspected and has a report showing that everything is in a good condition.

I guess the question comes to whether the ~$1,000 is worth the mileage difference and whether I should take the 2012 seller's word that the he worked on the car.

What do you think?
Option 2
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
3824 posts
1445 upvotes
I would try to buy the newer car, always (for myself), but in this case, the difference is only one model year (2012 vs. 2013).

I would get Option 2.

I am also alarmed by the high price.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 10, 2011
2048 posts
548 upvotes
Woodbridge
IMO they are both terrible deals.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15363 posts
12830 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Tommy74 wrote: $18500 for almost 8 year old small car? Unless you cheat on bill of sale, you will be charged taxes when you register the car.
+1
Crazy expensive for such an old car that’s small as well.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11254 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
Just curious, What are the differences between Premium and touring?

I agree that the price tag is too high for a 8 years old car with that amount of milage on it.
80000km-120000km is the time where a lot of parts are wore out and need replacements.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14115 posts
8523 upvotes
Toronto
durrsak wrote: IMO they are both terrible deals.
lol, scorched.

But option 2 if that is what you want.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2018
1358 posts
1471 upvotes
A lot of people are going with options two but they are mostly people who doesn't actually know CT200h in particular and applying general logic to this special car.
MP3_SKY wrote: Just curious, What are the differences between Premium and touring?

I agree that the price tag is too high for a 8 years old car with that amount of milage on it.
80000km-120000km is the time where a lot of parts are wore out and need replacements.

In my opinion options 2 is great. Too, but Option 1 actually isn't bad. If you talk him down to around $15,000 it should be a go. For most car, 50,000 differences is worth $500 -1000, but for this car it really doesn't matter. It will keep going up to 300,000 KM easily. (I personally know people who had his up to 300k miles in the state, actually) It is pretty much the most reliable hybrid car ever. If the extra features on Premium is interesting to you you really should consider that. They are both going to be reliable, but option 1 features can not be added later.
The Touring Package adds 17-inch alloy wheels, power sunroof, LED headlights and fog lights, and a storage compartment with 12-volt power outlet.

The Premium Package includes the equipment in the Touring package and adds a 10-speaker audio system with 7-inch display and audio controller, backup camera, leather seats, driver’s side memory seat and mirrors, garage door opener, rain-sensing wipers. The storage compartment with 12-volt power outlet is deleted.
Still, option 2 is an option that isn't wrong. Option 1 depends on a few more elements. I personally think both are fine.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 24, 2018
23 posts
19 upvotes
Thanks for the reply! The option 1 seller sweetened the deal by offering to include a pair of winter tires as well. Right now we have a deal pending for ~14,500 + tax.a
Last edited by duckhawk1 on Jun 13th, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 24, 2018
23 posts
19 upvotes
durrsak wrote: IMO they are both terrible deals.
I ended up getting the option 1 seller to include winter tires and drop the price to $14,500. What are your thoughts on that deal?
Sr. Member
Dec 16, 2010
752 posts
639 upvotes
Canada
duckhawk1 wrote: I ended up getting the option 1 seller to include winter tires and drop the price to $14,500. What are your thoughts on that deal?
Option 2.

Mileage and package are better.

But you're buying a discontinued car.. it's hybrid warranty is coming to an end... I wouldn't spend that much on it. Up to you though. I think you have all the information you'll get on this.

Good luck

Top