Home & Garden

Need help choosing furnace air filters - 4 or 5 inch?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2014 7:57 am
Tags:
None
Mar 28, 2009
737 posts
345 upvotes
Ottawa

Need help choosing furnace air filters - 4 or 5 inch?

I installed a new electric furnace last winter and in the process they installed a new HRV and high-efficiency filter housing.

The filter it came with was a 5-inch "merv 11" filter which lasted about 5 months. I replaced it with a 1-inch filter since I was in a pinch. I need to replace it now, and not sure what size I can use.

These are the 1 inch ones I got, but was told I should stick with a higher "merv" http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/filtr ... _Eq7xYgtPV

I got a coupon for one of these 4-inch filters: http://directairfilter.com/collections/ ... ir-filters

So do I just order those 4inch filter or pay double for their 5" filters to stick with what my system came with. Also, did I do any harm by using the 1-inch filters above for about 2.5 months?

Thanks in advance!
8 replies
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
I would suggest getting the biggest that would fit in their so 5" inches. Getting smaller would mean less filter material and faster end life.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
If your system was designed for 5 inch then stick with the 5 inches.

I'm using 5 inches myself. Hard to find but I order 5 at a time online.

They are expensive but last very long.
May 14, 2007
654 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
Anything other than the right size is pointless. Buy the right one.
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
ChzPlz wrote: Anything other than the right size is pointless. Buy the right one.
the point is trying to save 50% off the filter
Mar 28, 2009
737 posts
345 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the help guys! Seems I should get the exact size.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Just be careful when buying the 5 inch filters as the actual size varies. Measure the exact dimensions you need and check.
Aug 16, 2014
51 posts
7 upvotes
Whitby, ON
4" or 5" doesn't matter. But the filter height and width should be fitting the housing exactly. Otherwise it will bypass air flow. Obviously 4" will have a shorter lifespan then 5"
Apr 3, 2011
156 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
You can buy you filters from furnacefilters.ca the ship out via canada post. And they have the best price on the large filter sizes.