• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2012 5:47 pm
[OP]
Sep 26, 2012
7 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Need help choosing university for CA!

So I'm in Grade 12 and I plan on pursuing a career as a CA. I've been looking at a lot of different programs. Right now of applying to Waterloo for their Master of Accounting (MAcc)program. What else universities offer good programs? I hope to find one with a lot of co-op experience since that's what matters most (so i heard). Any other tips i should know in applying to universities? (Btw im really a noob to all this and bascially just started taking researching for uni's seriously so much help is appreciated)
Btw these are my grade 11 marks, wanted to know if this will get a good scholarship if these were my final gr 12 marks
Functions- 90%
Physics- 91%
Chemistry- 91%
Biology- 83%
Data management- 89%
English- 94%
Accounting- 94%
Intro to ASP- 96%
Btw. im taking AP Functions and Calculus in gr. 12 . So far my mark is 93% (skool only started 3 weeks ago). Wondering if Uni's take AP into consideration.
49 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1735 posts
159 upvotes
Ottawa
U of T St. George.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7436 posts
482 upvotes
York
You're in grade 12.. but you're applying to a Masters program.
May 17, 2010
83 posts
14 upvotes
you can get a CA at pretty much any university after an undergrad. Don't know why you're talking about Masters.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6916 posts
5833 upvotes
dankup wrote: You're in grade 12.. but you're applying to a Masters program.
To get into the Waterloo MAcc program you need to attend Waterloo AFM (or another program I can't remember ATM). So, it's actually smart that (s)he's planning that far ahead.

I recommend taking a program with Co-op and a good recruitment base like UofT. I'd start looking at schools that are heavily recruited by the Big 4 (if that's your plan) by browsing websites, reading online, etc. Any of your big Toronto schools are a good choice if you want to stay in that area. I believe the MAcc is a lot of schooling - you get to skip the CKE/SOA, but you're in school an extra 2 years. So, if maybe public accounting isn't your thing I would opt out of the MAcc - Waterloo AFM is a good program nonetheless.

Here are your better (but not limited to) CA programs:
http://www.icao.on.ca/Public/ICAOFundin ... e4565.aspx
Apr 27, 2008
726 posts
19 upvotes
thekazzmeister wrote: you can get a CA at pretty much any university after an undergrad. Don't know why you're talking about Masters.
The point is to be in a target school where the CA firms recruit heavily (and then do well in it). If you can't land a job you can't become a CA.

Waterloo, U of T St George, and York Schulich are great target schools to get into the bigger CA firms.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
For accounting, uoft scarborough campus is x1000 better than st george campus
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9566 posts
2185 upvotes
Somewhere
1) Waterloo - there is no longer any debate on which is the best accounting school in Ontario (Canada?). Check the UFE Honour Roll for the last two years for evidence. And trust me, Big 4 and other CATOs noticed.
2) York Schulich.
3) UofT St. George.
:confused:
May 29, 2008
263 posts
14 upvotes
HTTP04 wrote: For accounting, uoft scarborough campus is x1000 better than st george campus
+1
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
The main reason why I think UTSC > UofT is:

Co-op program, UTSC Accounting Co-op has a lot of Big 4 placements. Only go to UTSC if you get into CO-OP though; if it's regular you're better off going to st george campus.

2 cents
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Oct 16, 2008
987 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
If you know for SURE you want to go into accounting, I would definitely recommend Waterloo's AFM program and get into the M.Acc program after. You get to skip the CKE and SOA, and you graduate with co-op experience where most students are able to graduate pretty much with a job.

Schulich also has a very strong accounting program. Big 4 hires a lot from Schulich as well.

UT St. George and UTSC Co-op both have good programs as well (UTSC as long as you stay in the co-op, otherwise just go St. George)

I would rank them as:

1) Waterloo AFM Co-op
2) Schulich
3) UT St. George
4) UT Scarborough (Co-op)
Oct 13, 2008
347 posts
20 upvotes
Mississauga
HTTP04 wrote: For accounting, uoft scarborough campus is x1000 better than st george campus
lol no its not
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
bbraganz wrote: lol no its not
What makes you say that?

UTSC Coop (accounting) is a very solid program with a lot of Big 4 placements.

Not to mention the Co-op is a big advantage in job search compared to Rotman

I have no doubt that for Finance Rotman is much better than UTSC, but for Accounting it's vice versa.

My 2 cents.

Since you're supposedly an associate at one of the Big 4, why dont you enlighten us?
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5108 posts
971 upvotes
T.
Go where you can get the full complement of courses required to get the designation.

Absolutely vital IMO - get into a co-op program right out of high school if possible.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5430 posts
1736 upvotes
+1 for co op program. IMO, any reputable school where the big 4 does recruiting will do. Your personality and your resume will make 100 times more difference than where you went to school. Most of the schools offer a CA path where you can get all the credit hours so it doesn't really matter.

The reason co-op is awesome is because working develops a kind of skill that the classrooms can't. CA firms want to hire people who have such skills because it's a very client based business. They don't just want a bunch of robots that can't make a positive impression on clients. And obviously getting money is awesome. If you do a good job, you may have a job offer even if the CA path fails. And again if you failed to get into a CA firm, you'd have some relevant work experience to trump all the other graduates that were not in a co-op program.
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
sardaukar wrote: The point is to be in a target school where the CA firms recruit heavily (and then do well in it). If you can't land a job you can't become a CA.

Waterloo, U of T St George, and York Schulich are great target schools to get into the bigger CA firms.
Ivey and Queens as well. But yeah pretty much nailed it here.
UBC Year 3 BA Student: Major in Mathematics
Unrealistic dream :cry: : Law school...
Goal: Pursue a MA in Economics and a designation- CFA maybe?
Vancouver is nice if you have money and like the rain...
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2009
1473 posts
192 upvotes
+ 1 to know marks justify intent, I feel relaxed knowing people like OP exist! There is another thread lingering around here where plenty of University grads don't even know why they went to University.
Oct 13, 2008
347 posts
20 upvotes
Mississauga
HTTP04 wrote: What makes you say that?

UTSC Coop (accounting) is a very solid program with a lot of Big 4 placements.

Not to mention the Co-op is a big advantage in job search compared to Rotman

I have no doubt that for Finance Rotman is much better than UTSC, but for Accounting it's vice versa.

My 2 cents.

Since you're supposedly an associate at one of the Big 4, why dont you enlighten us?
im sure the program is great. Its just that we don't recruit heavily from there. You can't really say that a program is 1000X better than another program because it has co-op. St. George has more big 4 placements than scarborough does (being in recruiting allows you to see this first-hand, so take my word for it). Would you say that Brock is 1000x better than Schulich? Schulich doesnt have co-op, yet its one of the most heavily recruited schools for CA positions.

Nothing against the program, as I didn't go there, nor knew anybody who did. Its just that the firms don't focus in on UTSC as one of its "'target" schools
May 29, 2008
263 posts
14 upvotes
bbraganz wrote: im sure the program is great. Its just that we don't recruit heavily from there. You can't really say that a program is 1000X better than another program because it has co-op. St. George has more big 4 placements than scarborough does (being in recruiting allows you to see this first-hand, so take my word for it). Would you say that Brock is 1000x better than Schulich? Schulich doesnt have co-op, yet its one of the most heavily recruited schools for CA positions.

Nothing against the program, as I didn't go there, nor knew anybody who did. Its just that the firms don't focus in on UTSC as one of its "'target" schools

I've cooped at two of the big 4 and met a lot of UTSC, WLU and Waterloo students/full time there, and was definitely one of their target school.

Have also meet people from St George, but not as many.

I guess it depends on which firm/office you work at.
Oct 13, 2008
347 posts
20 upvotes
Mississauga
Sammmy wrote: I've cooped at two of the big 4 and met a lot of UTSC, WLU and Waterloo students/full time there, and was definitely one of their target school.

Have also meet people from St George, but not as many.

I guess it depends on which firm/office you work at.
thats true. I work downtown which could be why.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)