Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2264 posts
121 upvotes

Need help choosing a UPS

Hey guys

I need some help choosing different UPS models for my 21" Mac and a mini bar fridge.
I am hoping to get something not too noisy. or bulky.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16933 posts
8997 upvotes
Ottawa
nope, you should never use a UPS with something motorized like a bar fridge.
<insert sig>
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
300 upvotes
Calgary
Remember, a UPS is there to keep things running long enough to shut them down properly or to weather short downtime. The longer you need your systems to be available, the bigger UPS you'll need. Unless you keep live organs in your fridge there's no reason to put any type of backup on it.
Jul 1, 2009
711 posts
133 upvotes
Oh no, not this again...
ups-backup-power-supply-worth-2112250/

But for real advice.
Noisy - most UPSes aren't noisy if there is power and you're well below their max rating. The fan will spin (and make noise) if you're close to the power rating (and hence it needs to cool down) or when you're drawing battery power (i.e. blackout).
Bulky - forget about it. Batteries are big. Especially because most of them use lead-acid batteries. Generally speaking, the bigger it is, the more juice you're going to get.

More importantly, unless you get a super expensive online double-conversion UPS (true sine-wave output), the goal of a UPS is to provide sufficient battery power to save your data and shut down, or to weather those 1 minute blackouts.

Oh, and don't plug the fridge in. Or any inductive load for that matter. Or printers. If you need to keep the fridge running, use a generator.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3069 posts
1213 upvotes
Windsor
ghost1001 wrote: Oh no, not this again...
ups-backup-power-supply-worth-2112250/
That thread isn't really relevant to this post; the OP of that thread was asking if a UPS is worth it, whereas the OP here already knows they're worth it, and is looking for recommendations.

On to the OP; you just need to know how much power your 21" Mac draws, and how long you want it to run for; this will determine the capacity of the backup ... APCs site has a calculator ( Click Here ), and it's probably a bit generous, but a ballpark for the capacity you need nonetheless, from which you can then search for a UPS from any manufacturer. I personally like APC backups; they're probably a bit overpriced for what they are, but mine has served its purpose for quite a few years, only requiring a new battery. I like the ones with LCD screens, but this functionality is actually pretty useless in Microsoft OSes with the APC software. This feature might be nice for you if the Mac built-in support doesn't report this information; I don't know if it does.

I'd like to know why you want a fridge to be plugged into the backup; that's a funny request. Is your computer cooled by the fridge? You're better off just filling the bar fridge's ice-box with a tray of water (ice); probably keep the fridge cool for quite a few hours for "free".
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2986 upvotes
Don't plug fridge into it, the wattage it needs could easily overwhelm your ups and damage the circuitry. Damaged electronics could start a fire. What's in there that is so important that you need uninterrupted power? Are you operating an illegal organ harvesting farm at your place?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16933 posts
8997 upvotes
Ottawa
Every UPS I've owned from various companies have been quiet, the noisiest one I've owned is Cyperpower where you hear a bit of a fan when it's under battery power and charging.

You can figure out the power consumption here (maybe take an average between min and max watts that your iMac uses), and then look up the runtime on the charts of the UPS product. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201918

I recommend APC......they've always been trustworthy to me. I'd get at least 850VA model for a desktop all in one like iMac which will give you some additional runtime to keep a router/modem active after you shut down the iMac

You can shut down everything manually or hibernate the desktop which saves the entire state of the computer to HDD. I have my desktop go to hibernate if it's on battery power more than 2 minutes...If you have the computer connected to the UPS, you can set up the computer with whatever kind of shutdown procedure you like. I don't think Macs have a hibernate option, so you can configure when it goes to sleep and when it does a full shutdown once it detects it's on battery power.
<insert sig>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)