Home & Garden

Need Help with commercial True Freezer double door (T49)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2020 2:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6798 posts
5683 upvotes
North York

Need Help with commercial True Freezer double door (T49)

Hi.

I am really in need of help to diagnose and fix the issue of a commercial True Freezer.

Started 2 weeks ago, i noticed some stuff in the freezer were not properly frozen - some fully defrosted, while the freezer was still running.
Please correct me if I have misinformation, but looks like there are 2 thermostats, 1analog at the top right of the freezer (was reading around 0-1 C), and 1 digital below the cabinet where electrical control is (this one was fluctuating 5-7C). The ideal temp is -19 C, so I am about 20-25 degree off - which was very bad. I've already thrown out a few things. The freezer is about 3/4 full.

While trying different ways to fix, I have tried to change some settings on the electrical control (time, temp, etc.)
In the end, it was that ice was formed on the radiator grills, and fans could not blow cold air through. I defrosted this by using hair dryer, wipe the dripping water. I've also changed the endpoing to -20C for now to hopefully get things refrozen quickly.

Temperatures now seem to drop. the top thermostat is now hovering around -18 C.
The bottom thermostat, however, will reach -20 C when compressor and fans run. But as soon as fans and compressor stop, it only takes about 3 mins for the thermostat to go from -20 C to -8C, which I think is really quick. Some stuff are now refrozen, especially the ones near the top of the freezer, the bottoms, especially near the left corner is still not frozen.

I've let this run for about 2 days now: It takes 15 mins to go from -8C to -20 with fans and compressor running. Once its -20C, fans and compressor stop, it's 3 mins to get to -8C. Then fans and compressor runs again. The whole cycle repeats, but not all things are fully frozen.

I am not sure if this is normal. Or if it's even good electricity wise. And when some stuff are still not frozen, I have major concern.

Please advise.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2318 posts
290 upvotes
North York
Can't really help, but try and find a service manual for it online, if no luck there, call a commercial refrigeration tech.

From my research on kegerators true won't warranty their stuff if it's in a residential setting, so best of luck.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2606 posts
1605 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote: Any suggestion?
Call a repair technician?

I mean seriously, this is what, a $5,000+ freezer? If you can afford a $5,000 freezer, you can call a technician to repair it if you don't know how.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1282 posts
731 upvotes
Barrie ON
konsensei wrote: Temperatures now seem to drop. the top thermostat is now hovering around -18 C.
The bottom thermostat, however, will reach -20 C when compressor and fans run. But as soon as fans and compressor stop, it only takes about 3 mins for the thermostat to go from -20 C to -8C, which I think is really quick. Some stuff are now refrozen, especially the ones near the top of the freezer, the bottoms, especially near the left corner is still not frozen.
When the compressor runs, the evaporator fan blows air across the evaporator. In your case the temperature seems to be reaching the ideal -18 C, and then the compressor shuts off as it should. In other words there doesn't seem to be anything wrong.

Your problem seems to be the rapid increase in the interior temperature, and the subsequent restarting of the compressor.

There are several suggestions that you might want to try.

1) Insert a probe from an indoor/outdoor thermometer to verify that the temperature sensor of the fridge is reporting correctly. If it is reporting -18 C when it is really only 0 C, then the compressor would shut off too early.

2) Since some of the food is still thawed, it means that there is thermal mass in the freezer which is above 0 C. When the air in the freezer reaches -18 C the compressor shuts off, but then that air is quickly heated by all the mass with a temperature above 0 C. Once all the warm contents become frozen, the temperature should become more stable.

3) The airflow from the evaporator fan may be being blocked by the contents of the freezer. The cold air may only be reaching the thermometer sensor, and nowhere else. Locate the vents that the air is blowing from and clear a path so that the outgoing air can reach the distant points in the freezer.

4) A freezer with very little in it will often exhibit the same symptoms. This is because there is very little thermal mass in the freezer. When you open the door, all the cold air "falls" out and the internal temperature can rise to room temperature almost immediately if there are no other contents to maintain the cold.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6798 posts
5683 upvotes
North York
torontotim wrote: Call a repair technician?

I mean seriously, this is what, a $5,000+ freezer? If you can afford a $5,000 freezer, you can call a technician to repair it if you don't know how.
I can't simply ask a question?
You don't know the situation, but i bet it's easy for you judge than to understand.
I've already called a few places, most are not able to come "at the moment". Especially with this current COVID-19, neither I or the technicians (I would understand) would not want to them to come into my place.

I've never mentioned anything about money. But yes, it is a $8000 freezer. Repair rate is roughly $50 surcharge + $100/hour labour + parts. Affordability isn't the question.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6798 posts
5683 upvotes
North York
Rick007 wrote: When the compressor runs, the evaporator fan blows air across the evaporator. In your case the temperature seems to be reaching the ideal -18 C, and then the compressor shuts off as it should. In other words there doesn't seem to be anything wrong.

Your problem seems to be the rapid increase in the interior temperature, and the subsequent restarting of the compressor.

There are several suggestions that you might want to try.

1) Insert a probe from an indoor/outdoor thermometer to verify that the temperature sensor of the fridge is reporting correctly. If it is reporting -18 C when it is really only 0 C, then the compressor would shut off too early.

2) Since some of the food is still thawed, it means that there is thermal mass in the freezer which is above 0 C. When the air in the freezer reaches -18 C the compressor shuts off, but then that air is quickly heated by all the mass with a temperature above 0 C. Once all the warm contents become frozen, the temperature should become more stable.

3) The airflow from the evaporator fan may be being blocked by the contents of the freezer. The cold air may only be reaching the thermometer sensor, and nowhere else. Locate the vents that the air is blowing from and clear a path so that the outgoing air can reach the distant points in the freezer.

4) A freezer with very little in it will often exhibit the same symptoms. This is because there is very little thermal mass in the freezer. When you open the door, all the cold air "falls" out and the internal temperature can rise to room temperature almost immediately if there are no other contents to maintain the cold.
I dug in some more.
The temp at most locations inside range from -8 to -15. However at the spot where stuff are being thawed, bottom of the freezer, it is above 0. So seems like cold air is not able to get to this location.
Ice are also forming behind evaporator fans, so it is definitely blocking. I've cleared as much as possible for now, but it is still icing after a day or two. I guess i still have to do this until I can get a tech to come to have a look.
But the fact that ice is forming, that means the defrosting part is not working properly. It's supposed to sense the forming ice and quickly defrost, and drain the water - but it's not doing that.

At the moment, I "think" the issue is that the defroster is not working, thus ice forming, thus cold air does not move around enough. You are right, if the mass is above 0, it raises the overall temp quickly. i will shuffle the stuff at the bottom to the top .

I guess i'll have to do this for now until someone can come in to check