• Feb 7th, 2021 8:30 am
[OP]
Dec 25, 2010
724 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto

Need help with condo electric wiring

Hello everyone,

If anyone can provide some tips or guidance this would be great. I am trying to install smart switches and following the video instructions but I cannot figure out what my condo wires are? I have a volt detector I think I found out which one is the hot wire. It is blue. When I turned the switch back on to test the wire it's only the blue cable that beeps, the other 2 doesn't beep. How do I know which one is the Ground and Lout? I believe the white cable in the back of the box is the neutral cable.

I'm following this video's instruction.

Any help would be appreciated!
Images
  • IMG_8547.jpg
  • IMG_8548.jpg
Selling cheap textbooks & books. Price is negotiable!
6 replies
Dec 6, 2020
290 posts
263 upvotes
It's not legal to do DIY electrical work in a condo or any other kind of multi-family building.

Equipment vendors should not be encouraging homeowners to install these kinds of products themselves unless they already have adequate knowledge to do electrical work properly.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2010
724 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Oh did not know that. Is this something I contact the condo to do maybe?
Selling cheap textbooks & books. Price is negotiable!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4133 posts
1512 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
grumps312 wrote: Oh did not know that. Is this something I contact the condo to do maybe?
You need to hire an electrician.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1237 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
ChicoQuente wrote: You need to hire an electrician.
Now that's an expensive light switch :) and you are right
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11585 posts
1516 upvotes
middleofnowhere wrote: It's not legal to do DIY electrical work in a condo or any other kind of multi-family building.

Equipment vendors should not be encouraging homeowners to install these kinds of products themselves unless they already have adequate knowledge to do electrical work properly.
Never knew that rule. Is that an actual law or a common condo bylaw? Does that include changing light fixtures?

I've changed all my light fixtures and switches (to dimmers) without even thinking it wasn't allowed.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4133 posts
1512 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
slowtyper wrote: Never knew that rule. Is that an actual law or a common condo bylaw? Does that include changing light fixtures?

I've changed all my light fixtures and switches (to dimmers) without even thinking it wasn't allowed.
One requirement, regardless of condo/house/etc is you do need a permit to change any switch to dimmer.