Need help on a couple laptops

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2021 6:41 am
[OP]
Jul 22, 2007
21 posts
4 upvotes

Need help on a couple laptops

Hi everyone. Looking for some advice on a couple laptops. I’ve found a couple old threads but still confused between these three.

Looking to use it for business and casual surfing. Do t want to spend to much and looking for a touchpad as I need use of the pen.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a bit confused between two models and performance. Both again are from Costco and are the HP x360.

So for the Ryzen model (Ryzen 7 4700u) This model is $1149.99
https://www.costco.ca/hp-envy-x360-15-e ... 76984.html

The one with a higher Hard Drive is $1099.99
https://www.costco.ca/hp-envy-x360-15-e ... 57185.html

Can't see a difference.

Now there is an I7 version thats also $1149.99 but it doubles the ram from 8GB to 16GB.
https://www.costco.ca/hp-envy-x360-15-e ... 10193.html

Which model is the better? Would the 16GB of ram be better than going AMD?

Are these all 2020 models? 2021 coming out soon?
8 replies
Dec 6, 2020
448 posts
426 upvotes
Don't buy HP consumer-market computers unless you have utterly no other choice. Look for a different brand.
Feb 9, 2008
176 posts
134 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The AMD ones are identical other than the drive size and missing USB hub on the more expensive one.
RAM is more important.

That said, there seems to be various issues with these, in the other thread you found.
Don't bother with Microsoft Surface either. They have a lot of hardware issues.
I don't have any 2-in-1 laptops that I can really recommend.
Maybe the HP Spectre line is better, but that's nearly double the price on Costco website.
Oct 2, 2011
116 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
middleofnowhere wrote: Don't buy HP consumer-market computers unless you have utterly no other choice. Look for a different brand.
Could you please explain bit more? Very curious. Thanks.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2007
21 posts
4 upvotes
Is there a Brand or model in that rand you recommend? I need touch and the pen. Size of screen doesn’t matter if it’s smaller.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8184 posts
2822 upvotes
Maple
deep98 wrote: Is there a Brand or model in that rand you recommend? I need touch and the pen. Size of screen doesn’t matter if it’s smaller.
Bottom line, the HP consumer grade is not good. It may look good, with bells and whistles, but you have to replace it in few years. Dell, Lenovo are much better but they are more expensive. Another brand to avoid is Acer.
Dec 6, 2020
448 posts
426 upvotes
kobemtl wrote: Could you please explain bit more? Very curious. Thanks.
HP products tend to be poorly built, unreliable, and expensive or impossible to repair. They're prone to fail, or physically fall apart, long before their electronics get obsolete.

This is also true of HP's more business-oriented gear. I had a workstation-grade HP laptop start breaking down as soon as the warranty ended: battery dead after one year, then bits of the laptop started physically falling off after three years, then the power brick suddenly failed. This does not seem to be an uncommon occurrence. I have not had that experience with either Dell or Lenovo gear, which in my experience keeps working until it's either obsolete or breaks due to wear and tear.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2007
21 posts
4 upvotes
Hi guys. Thanks for all your input. Can I ask a follow up?

What’s more important generally speaking..

Intel 11th Gen i7-1165g7 with 16gb ram or Ryzen 7 4700U with 8gb ram.

Without getting into the updating the fam modulate.. Ryzen from what I heard is better at multi core processing. It does Intel suck that bad at multi core processing? Wouldn’t the ram make it on par?

Sorry haven’t bought an and since the Athelon days.

What is multi core used for? Is it more if I’m compiling data or processing large files? I mean most day to day items use single core right? Surfing, writing, power point, etc etc?

Any insight would be super helpful.

I’m looking at ldeapads as well since you guys say surface pro really sucks. I’m just trying to keep cost down and looking at Costco because of their return policy and warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8184 posts
2822 upvotes
Maple
Intel 11th Gen i7-1165g7 with 16gb ram, multi cores is important but not in your case. 16gm is better than 8gb.