• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 10:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 26, 2009
93 posts
3 upvotes

Need help with crabgrass

Crabgrass has taken over a portion of my front lawn. And they seem to be spreading slowly each week. Any ideas as to how to get rid of them? I tried the usual selective weed killers they sell at homedepot and they don’t work on crabgrass.

realize that the best way to deal with them is putting down a pre-emergent in the spring. But I’ve never had an issue with them until now.

I live in the GTA by the way. Thanks.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
Shane1975 wrote: Crabgrass has taken over a portion of my front lawn. And they seem to be spreading slowly each week. Any ideas as to how to get rid of them? I tried the usual selective weed killers they sell at homedepot and they don’t work on crabgrass.

realize that the best way to deal with them is putting down a pre-emergent in the spring. But I’ve never had an issue with them until now.

I live in the GTA by the way. Thanks.
Wipeout XL on the crabgrass? Wipeout kills everything so don't spray it in your grass or plants you want to keep
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20245 posts
13571 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Crabgrass is a very tough weed that realistically only easy to kill with a selective herbicide in the Spring when the crabgrass is still relatively young. Once we get into Summer, even the herbicides made for crabgrass say that it may not be as effective.
Jun 24, 2005
700 posts
115 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have a crabgrass issue this year.

Used the American brand Ortho with Crabgrass killer. Didn't seem to do anything, so I started to pull them out by hand.

Just grab a hold near the base and twist and pull. Hopefully, you pull the entire root out. I've been doing this repeatedly every few days or so.

Just waiting for August/September to overseed again.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1814 upvotes
Thornhill
Either:
- next few years, soak the area of the lawn and manually remove the weed when they are medium-sized
or
- get the stuff with quinclorac

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10091 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto
Just do what my neighbour did, dug it up and re sod his entire lawn
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)