• Jul 20th, 2020 2:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4153 posts
2427 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Need help deciding where to move.

Hey guys, so we are planning to sell the house really soon, in 2 months actually. And I had my mind set on Ottawa all these days, just because of cost of living and everything else associated with it. For instance, like property taxes are much cheaper there, insurance for car and house is cheap, and great job opportunities. But now my parents would like me to be closer to them in Brampton, so I am reconsidering my options. Other than the hard hit places like brampton, or mississauga, where else would anyone of you prefer to move too? I am looking for cheap insurance rates, property tax, and in-general cost of living.

Anyone can suggest a few places?

Currently considering places like Oshawa, Ajax, Pickering, Barrie, Milton, Hamilton, Ancaster, and obviously Ottawa.

Where would you pick to live and buy a house? This is not only for living but a long-term investment!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
12 replies
Mar 1, 2016
335 posts
268 upvotes
OP, you don’t say where you live now, but I am curious where you are that you think Ottawa property taxes will be much cheaper. I am always amazed how cheap property taxes are in the GTA than for a comparable house here.
Aug 1, 2014
296 posts
211 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo could be good options
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21154 posts
7536 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I'd look for a job first before making that sort of decision.

Just because employment opportunities in your field in Ottawa might be decent, doesn't mean you'll actually find a job there.
Oct 30, 2017
614 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote: Hey guys, so we are planning to sell the house really soon, in 2 months actually. And I had my mind set on Ottawa all these days, just because of cost of living and everything else associated with it. For instance, like property taxes are much cheaper there, insurance for car and house is cheap, and great job opportunities. But now my parents would like me to be closer to them in Brampton, so I am reconsidering my options. Other than the hard hit places like brampton, or mississauga, where else would anyone of you prefer to move too? I am looking for cheap insurance rates, property tax, and in-general cost of living.

Anyone can suggest a few places?

Currently considering places like Oshawa, Ajax, Pickering, Barrie, Milton, Hamilton, Ancaster, and obviously Ottawa.

Where would you pick to live and buy a house? This is not only for living but a long-term investment!
I think it would be good if you could provide more details before one can give a recommendation. Do you need to work or not? If not then you clearly have a lot more options, but if the answer is yes, then the location of your workplace is obviously a huge factor. Also, do you prefer a small town feeling or are you fine living in suburbia?

Commute issues aside, I would probably choose Milton from the list that you gave especially since you may want to be close to your parents. It's fairly close to Toronto (but not too close), reasonably built up, and close enough to 'sauga or B-town in case you need to go there (but again, not too close!).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: Personally I'd look for a job first before making that sort of decision.

Just because employment opportunities in your field in Ottawa might be decent, doesn't mean you'll actually find a job there.
I agree with this. Also, it means that if you are able to find a good job in Ottawa, you have more ammunition to move there.

Personally if I found a job outside of the GTA that was overall better than what I could find in the GTA, I'd move in an instant. To me, all of the other locations listed are "well dang, looks like I need to commute into Toronto" options.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4153 posts
2427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BigDurian wrote: OP, you don’t say where you live now, but I am curious where you are that you think Ottawa property taxes will be much cheaper. I am always amazed how cheap property taxes are in the GTA than for a comparable house here.
I'm in Brampton, so that should say how much property tax and insurance is lol
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4153 posts
2427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Khichdi wrote: Kitchener/Waterloo could be good options
I've looked at those places. What's good about Kitchener/Waterloo? How much are insurance and property taxes? Cost of living?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4153 posts
2427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EugW wrote: Personally I'd look for a job first before making that sort of decision.

True, but I can still work with my current job from home.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3213 posts
6155 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
OP, without knowing your situation better this seems penny wise and dollar foolish. (Moving because of cars insurance/property taxes primarily).

That said if staying "close" to your parents is important I'd start there, how often do you plan to visit each other and what is the acceptable time driving between both homes for you and them, work backwards from there.

Like someone mentioned, KW/Guelph, possibly Hamilton make sense based on information given here, but I think you are not considering many much more important variables before making the decision.
Realtor®
Sep 13, 2007
148 posts
184 upvotes
toronto
OP, make a list of items in order of their importance to you and your family. Then choose a few potential locations and rank how these important items fare for those chosen locations.

My clients often find clarity by structuring their analysis this way. And while doing this analysis, don't just focus on the short term. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4582 posts
1825 upvotes
GTA
OP, why are you so concerned about insurance and property taxes? Do you have kids....if so wouldn't schools be of more importance? What about amenities, proximity to family, price of the home, lot sizes, demographics, etc.?

I just find it odd that you'd pick a place to live because you might save a grand or two on insurance per year,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)