Need Help! Enterprise Car Rental Damage

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 5:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 5, 2019
10 posts
6 upvotes

Need Help! Enterprise Car Rental Damage

So I rented a car from enterprise with my company's code/ account (as i thought i was well in my rights to do so) and got into an accident with it. It was bad weather and the accident was out of my hand and over my head. The airbags deployed and the whole right side of the car was dented. Now the issue is that the company code came with an already included damage waiver and did not allow me to deny or accept it. However, the insurance claim representative stated that i would have to have been on a business trip in order for that to be valid. Although i was on a business trip, i did not put in the necessary paper works with my company to legitimize the trip and it is too late to do so (My stupid mistake all because i wanted to go around some paperwork). So now it is looking as if the cost/ damage may fall on me. I do not know what to do because i am afraid of the amount being hefty (as it was a brand new car). I read on this platform that i could reach out to my credit card company...and they are saying that since the original contract had some sort of damage waiver on it (although invalid) there is nothing they can do. My question is 1. How f@#ked am i? and 2. Is there anything that i can do to get out of this situation?

Please Help!!!!
41 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2319 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto
v800EGH wrote: Although i was on a business trip, i did not put in the necessary paper works with my company to legitimize the trip and it is too late to do so (My stupid mistake all because i wanted to go around some paperwork).
Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope it works out somehow. Be thankful that you weren't hurt (or at least seriously hurt; I'm just assuming you're physically OK).

I'm wondering how you got away with going on a business trip without your company giving you the OK first. Do they normally just give you the OK verbally, you submit your expenses, and then the company reimburses you? If yes, then maybe you really don't need to submit any paperwork. Also, did you ask your company if you can still submit the paperwork (where you can just back date it)? I'm hoping this is still an option where I'm sure some people submit paperwork for stuff after the fact.

Wouldn't Enterprise ask HR if you were given the OK or not to go on this business trip?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Aug 3, 2007
634 posts
296 upvotes
v800EGH wrote: So I rented a car from enterprise with my company's code/ account (as i thought i was well in my rights to do so) and got into an accident with it. It was bad weather and the accident was out of my hand and over my head. The airbags deployed and the whole right side of the car was dented. Now the issue is that the company code came with an already included damage waiver and did not allow me to deny or accept it. However, the insurance claim representative stated that i would have to have been on a business trip in order for that to be valid. Although i was on a business trip, i did not put in the necessary paper works with my company to legitimize the trip and it is too late to do so (My stupid mistake all because i wanted to go around some paperwork). So now it is looking as if the cost/ damage may fall on me. I do not know what to do because i am afraid of the amount being hefty (as it was a brand new car). I read on this platform that i could reach out to my credit card company...and they are saying that since the original contract had some sort of damage waiver on it (although invalid) there is nothing they can do. My question is 1. How f@#ked am i? and 2. Is there anything that i can do to get out of this situation?

Please Help!!!!
I see here is honest people making honest mistake!

A business trip is a business trip, not filing paperwork in time doesn't make your rental non-business, maybe your back office can back you up?

Don't stress yourself too much!
[OP]
Dec 5, 2019
10 posts
6 upvotes
I hope so too. But it seems like enterprise goes through HR and what HR says. But thanks you for the response. I am trying my best not to panic but it is getting the best of me.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Your credit card will only pick up the tab if you used it to rent the car. Is it a VISA? If it is you should be covered.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2019
10 posts
6 upvotes
Yes so usually, I go on the trips and then hand in paperwork to be reimbursed. Sometimes i just for go the reimbursment cause the paperwork and time it takes alone can take several weeks. so that is my issue now. I spoke to HR and they basically said there is nothing that they can do as the paperwork was not put in. How bad is this going to be? i just want to know if i am about to slave myself away to enterprise for the rest of my life? :(
[OP]
Dec 5, 2019
10 posts
6 upvotes
Yes it is a VISA but they are saying that with the Damage Waiver being included already by the company code and it not being declined, there is nothing that they can do.
Jul 12, 2013
219 posts
138 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…
v800EGH wrote: So I rented a car from enterprise with my company's code/ account (as i thought i was well in my rights to do so) and got into an accident with it. It was bad weather and the accident was out of my hand and over my head. The airbags deployed and the whole right side of the car was dented. Now the issue is that the company code came with an already included damage waiver and did not allow me to deny or accept it. However, the insurance claim representative stated that i would have to have been on a business trip in order for that to be valid. Although i was on a business trip, i did not put in the necessary paper works with my company to legitimize the trip and it is too late to do so (My stupid mistake all because i wanted to go around some paperwork). So now it is looking as if the cost/ damage may fall on me. I do not know what to do because i am afraid of the amount being hefty (as it was a brand new car). I read on this platform that i could reach out to my credit card company...and they are saying that since the original contract had some sort of damage waiver on it (although invalid) there is nothing they can do. My question is 1. How f@#ked am i? and 2. Is there anything that i can do to get out of this situation?

Please Help!!!!
Sorry to hear this. Accident can be stressful... Maybe the first step is to discuss this with your employer since it's a business trip and get legal assistance?
Oct 24, 2016
961 posts
815 upvotes
ON
Sorry to hear that. Do you have your own vehicle insurance and would they cover it? My car insurance covers any rentals that I take up to a certain MSRP. Although not sure in your particular case since the rented vehicle was not for personal use and the unique situation. I hope it was not a very expensive car in case things don't go your way. Good Luck!
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Jan 20, 2012
763 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
v800EGH wrote: Yes so usually, I go on the trips and then hand in paperwork to be reimbursed. Sometimes i just for go the reimbursment cause the paperwork and time it takes alone can take several weeks. so that is my issue now. I spoke to HR and they basically said there is nothing that they can do as the paperwork was not put in. How bad is this going to be? i just want to know if i am about to slave myself away to enterprise for the rest of my life? :(
If this is a legitimate business trip. Your boss should have it approved and work with HR to get it resolve internally. I will speak with your boss about it and have it handle in management level instead. They can't just get away from the responsibility because paperwork wasn't in place in time.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2319 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto
v800EGH wrote: Yes so usually, I go on the trips and then hand in paperwork to be reimbursed. Sometimes i just for go the reimbursment cause the paperwork and time it takes alone can take several weeks. so that is my issue now. I spoke to HR and they basically said there is nothing that they can do as the paperwork was not put in. How bad is this going to be? i just want to know if i am about to slave myself away to enterprise for the rest of my life? :(
Maybe HR means they don't have the paperwork yet so they had to say no. Talk to your manager and start filling in the paperwork. Maybe once HR gets the paperwork (even if it's weeks later) then HR can call Enterprise and say yes, we got the paperwork now. So and so was on a business trip.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6077 posts
4688 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: Maybe HR means they don't have the paperwork yet so they had to say no. Talk to your manager and start filling in the paperwork. Maybe once HR gets the paperwork (even if it's weeks later) then HR can call Enterprise and say yes, we got the paperwork now. So and so was on a business trip.
This is the correct procedure.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2019
10 posts
6 upvotes
Unfortunately i do not own a personal car so i dont have car insurance. I am just praying things go well...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6077 posts
4688 upvotes
v800EGH wrote: Unfortunately i do not own a personal car so i dont have car insurance. I am just praying things go well...
That won't help you in this case. It's all about CDW.

Your only hope is your company vouch for your business travel to the adjuster to have that policy kicked in. Whoever is in charge of your relationship with Enterprise can throw their weight around a bit as well. Your company HAS to stand behind you.

You may be able to fall back on the CDW insurance on your CC but there are too many escape clause for them as well on this one (CDW is already included on your contract).
Oct 16, 2019
112 posts
56 upvotes
You need to talk to your boss to sort this out, I hope you have a good relationship with your boss. Normally, your company will sort this out for you. Don't be afraid to talk to anyone in your company that may be able to help you. Good luck.
Jul 26, 2011
508 posts
520 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I used to work at Enterprise. They are just trying to get you to admit that you either didn't work at the company or didn't use the code exactly as intended. If they can prove that, aka you admitted that it was for personal use on a corporate code that is only for business use then you are in trouble.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4015 posts
4143 upvotes
GTA
MusicBox wrote: Your credit card will only pick up the tab if you used it to rent the car. Is it a VISA? If it is you should be covered.
Not all VISA cards have rental car insurance. And if they do, you need to explicitly decline the rental company's CDW for it to be valid.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15625 posts
16769 upvotes
Oakville
Kinda sounds like OP is too honest and is telling the rental company and card company that he didn't file the paperwork. OP doesn't have to lie, but he can exclude some inconvenient facts.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8590 posts
2277 upvotes
Kinda sounds like op is the troll with yet another name making up a fake "scenario". New id, written the same way...
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3481 posts
2144 upvotes
Edmonton
zoro69 wrote: Kinda sounds like op is the troll with yet another name making up a fake "scenario". New id, written the same way...
Yea, another “sketchy” story with missing information.