• Feb 3rd, 2020 10:51 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14153 posts
4620 upvotes
London

Need help figuring out how to get Telus to activate my account

So I signed up for their 20gb plan last week.

I received the Sim card in the mail 2 days ago.

I have signed up for e-billing to my email address, but they have not sent me my Customer Service Agreement.

I called Telus today to try to get everything set up, and they told me they can not help me without my phone number or my account number. Neither of which I have, as they have not emailed me anything other than my order confirmation and shipping information a couple days after that. They said they can't pull up account details with my order number, my credit card number I signed up with, or my driver's license number that I signed up with.

This is my first experience with Telus, and needless to say, it is a very bad start. Anyone have any suggestions?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16716 posts
3082 upvotes
Toronto
If you signed up through a dealer, contact the dealer?
Jul 19, 2010
605 posts
242 upvotes
Calgary
put sim into and phone and see if it works? if it does, you can find out the cell # assigned to you
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14153 posts
4620 upvotes
London
audit13 wrote: If you signed up through a dealer, contact the dealer?
I signed up through Telus' website.

drtmrcht wrote: put sim into and phone and see if it works? if it does, you can find out the cell # assigned to you
The sim is not active
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14153 posts
4620 upvotes
London
So I went to the Telus store and they said that they would need 2 pieces of ID to pull up my account.... I have them my driver's license and the credit card that I made the order with.... They proceeded to tell me that I couldn't use that card because it is an amazon mastercard and their system won't allow it....

What the actual **** is wrong with this company?
Dec 4, 2017
533 posts
229 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: What the actual **** is wrong with this company?
If you are on a social media platform where you can post publicly to them (say, Twitter or FB), someone at the company who can actually find out (but taking it private in order to answer your question above) will probably respond. Your issue sounds fairly unique and comes with specifics, so I expect that it's solveable if you can get past these first layers of obstruction.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14153 posts
4620 upvotes
London
I was finally able to get it sorted after calling in again and getting someone competent that contacted their web store staff and was able to find all my stuff from my order number.

Now to test and see how it compares to Rogers. Tests from my house are horrible (see below.... The first 2 tests were taken in sim slot 2 on my phone. I then swapped the slots thinking maybe it was the phone for the final test. The 39mbps and 19mbps tests are Rogers on the same phone)
Screenshot_20200201-083726.png
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16716 posts
3082 upvotes
Toronto
Which phone are you using?
Jun 2, 2010
575 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote: I was finally able to get it sorted after calling in again and getting someone competent that contacted their web store staff and was able to find all my stuff from my order number.

Now to test and see how it compares to Rogers. Tests from my house are horrible (see below.... The first 2 tests were taken in sim slot 2 on my phone. I then swapped the slots thinking maybe it was the phone for the final test. The 39mbps and 19mbps tests are Rogers on the same phone)

Screenshot_20200201-083726.png
Yay, finally! When I joined TELUS over two and a half years ago, the guy in the store put in my e-mail address twice in their system which messed things up so badly that I couldn't activate my account. But the CSR on the phone was so nice and fixed it up for me right away. Funny though, because I just left TELUS last week.

How far away are the Rogers and Bell/TELUS towers from your house? You can see here: Canadian Cellular Towers Map. There's an app for it too called Tower Locator: Tower Locator Canada
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14153 posts
4620 upvotes
London
TheNightOwl wrote: Yay, finally! When I joined TELUS over two and a half years ago, the guy in the store put in my e-mail address twice in their system which messed things up so badly that I couldn't activate my account. But the CSR on the phone was so nice and fixed it up for me right away. Funny though, because I just left TELUS last week.

How far away are the Rogers and Bell/TELUS towers from your house? You can see here: Canadian Cellular Towers Map. There's an app for it too called Tower Locator: Tower Locator Canada
Rogers towers are definitely more abundant in my area. Thanks. I wish I knew about this site last week lol
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18775 posts
8452 upvotes
Oakville
Viper98 wrote: Rogers towers are definitely more abundant in my area. Thanks. I wish I knew about this site last week lol
The key is - despite your speed tests being noticeably slower, do you actually notice any difference in actual day to day usage?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient