• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2019 1:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1475 posts
218 upvotes

Need help with furnace please

So my furnace stopped working two days ago.

Had someone take a look and turned out the fan motor is not working. It’s a dc motor.

So today the guy called and said universal motor is $1200 and $1600 for OEM. it’s a Goodman furnace. 92% efficiency 90,000 BTU. My home is 3000sqft.

Now, I’m so cofnused. How is a fan motor $1600?? Does that sound right?

Anyways, he then suggested if I want, he can install a Keeprite G96VTN for $3,000 all in. It’s a 96% efficiency with variable dc fan motor.. 2 stage..
https://www.keeprite.com/en/us/products ... s-furnace/

Can someone please advise what the best option? Is thay a good furnace? Also, is a fan motor really $1600
78 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8740 posts
1677 upvotes
If you're handy you could probably order the motor from amrysupply.com and install it yourself. You'll find a lot of techs will give you these outrageous prices to entice you to buy a whole new system. And if you refuse to do it, sometime's they'll even red tag your furnace to further put pressure on you.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1334 posts
934 upvotes
Etobicoke
How old is your furnace? If it is 15 years +, I would replace. If less, maybe repair. Get another quote. I replaced my 10year main blower fan, a lot $300, But it was a simple AC motor, not a two stage DC motor
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1475 posts
218 upvotes
xxxray wrote: How old is your furnace? If it is 15 years +, I would replace. If less, maybe repair. Get another quote. I replaced my 10year main blower fan, a lot $300, But it was a simple AC motor, not a two stage DC motor
My furnace is 11 years old now. That’s why I’m hesitant in just replacing the blower.

I’m just depressed right now. Didn’t expect this sigh
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1475 posts
218 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote: If you're handy you could probably order the motor from amrysupply.com and install it yourself. You'll find a lot of techs will give you these outrageous prices to entice you to buy a whole new system. And if you refuse to do it, sometime's they'll even red tag your furnace to further put pressure on you.
I just went to their site, and it’s hard to find the part. How can I search for it exactly? What do I look for?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3505 posts
627 upvotes
Hamilton
There should be a name plate on the motor in your furnace, have you pullled all the information from the motor in your furnace?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6326 posts
2830 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I heard DC motors were expensive when I put in a hi-eff furnace in my previous house. Kind of shocked but if it is a proprietary motor, you do get socked for parts - especially if you're paying retail. Get the furnace (and/or motor) model, part and serial numbers and start looking for replacement parts.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1133 posts
881 upvotes
Durham Region
Yah these fixing/parts quotes can be ridiculous. Furnace/ac prices for the units themselves are actually pretty reasonable

The labor/tools are usually pretty specialized so that’s where you are paying

Had a guy I know install new furnace 5 years ago. The unit (simple 92% furnace) was under $700 with tax

Last summer my ac compressor went (7 years old amana (Goodman)...)
Part cost to replace was over $600, but got a whole new unit for under $900
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1475 posts
218 upvotes
Okay, so here is my furnace model And the small sticker is the motor model.

What do I search only. The motor code?

I just want to search this motor price and check if it’s acruslly $1600. The guy said that’s his cost. Didn’t even include labour. Just part.

Where can I call or check online for parts?
Images
  • 5531384C-A152-416A-A21B-D05E2C0972FD.jpeg
  • BBECD7F7-6D19-49B7-AD5E-9D48F5419FC6.jpeg
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16190 posts
17622 upvotes
Oakville
snipe2014 wrote: Okay, so here is my furnace model And the small sticker is the motor model.

I just want to search this motor price and check if it’s acruslly $1600. The guy said that’s his cost. Didn’t even include labour. Just part.

Where can I call or check online for parts?
This looks like your exact model for $700usd.
https://goodmanparts.net/GMC-0231K00036 ... 00036A.htm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6326 posts
2830 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
snipe2014 wrote: Okay, so here is my furnace model And the small sticker is the motor model.

I just want to search this motor price and check if it’s acruslly $1600. The guy said that’s his cost.
Amazon.com price is USD 1,000 so it is not out of line if his supplier has a ridiculous markup.

Any other label on the motor? Such as a hard, shiny manufacturer's label with the specs?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16190 posts
17622 upvotes
Oakville
snipe2014 wrote: Yea, I just found that online too.. holyy man.. $700 USD?? I’m scared if I buy it and turns out motor wasn’t the issue and I jus wasted $700 usd

Also, I’m assuming that’s aftermarket right? Not OEM
Looks like OEM. Are you sure it's DC? Looks like AC from what I see.
https://www.johnstonesupply.com/storefr ... ID=S89-803
Blower Motor - Perfect Speed® 3/4HP 1250RPM Variable Speed 120/240V (Emerson M055PWCVK-0337)

Description: 1HP Motor;
Order #: S89-803
Catalog Page: 709
Mfg. #: 0231K00036A
Brand: Goodman
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6326 posts
2830 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
engineered wrote: Looks like OEM. Are you sure it's DC? Looks like AC from what I see
That's what I was thinking. OP, post the furnace schematics too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1475 posts
218 upvotes
engineered wrote: Looks like OEM. Are you sure it's DC? Looks like AC from what I see.
https://www.johnstonesupply.com/storefr ... ID=S89-803
Blower Motor - Perfect Speed® 3/4HP 1250RPM Variable Speed 120/240V (Emerson M055PWCVK-0337)

Description: 1HP Motor;
Order #: S89-803
Catalog Page: 709
Mfg. #: 0231K00036A
Brand: Goodman
thriftshopper wrote: That's what I was thinking. OP, post the furnace schematics too.
This is what it says about the furnace

Q&A
Description
The Goodman GMV95 95% AFUE Two-Stage, Variable-Speed Gas Furnaces feature a patented aluminized steel tubular heat exchanger and durable Silicon Nitride Hot Surface Ignition system. these Gas Furnaces are Super-efficient with Ultra quiet variable speed circulator motor that gently ramps or down according to heating and cooling demands with enhanced dehumidification and energy savings during cooling months (Not intended for use in mobile homes).

Features
10 Year Parts Warranty
Lifetime Heat Exchanger Limited Warranty
Patented TuffTube dual-diameter tubular heat exchanger with lifetime limited warranty, plus10 year limited furnace replacement warranty
Two-stage gas valve operates on two-stage or single-stage thermostats
Super-efficient, ultra-quiet variable-speed circulator motor gently ramps up or down according to heating or cooling demand
Silicon Nitride igniter with patented adaptive learning control for maximum igniter life
Furnace control board with self-diagnostics, color coded low-voltage terminals, and provisions for electronic air cleaner and 120-volt or 24-volt humidifiers
Extra-low constant fan allows homeowner to activate very low speed to efficiently circulate air throughout the home. This setting costs as little as a 75-watt light bulb to operate.
Dual-certified for sealed combustion direct vent(2-pipe) or non-direct vent (1-pipe) applications Auto-Comfort mode for enhanced dehumidification and energy savings during the cooling months
Quiet two-speed induced draft blower
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6326 posts
2830 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Doesn't say the motor is DC.

The link below says it is a GE motor 5SME39SL(0253?)

http://furnace-blower-motor.com/2019/01 ... otor-used/

If you post the furnace schematics, we might be able to tell you if it is AC or DC, and whether you can use the Mars Azure motor recommended earlier.