Need help with furnace please

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 3:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1479 posts
218 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Doesn't say the motor is DC.

The link below says it is a GE motor 5SME39SL(0253?)

http://furnace-blower-motor.com/2019/01 ... otor-used/

If you post the furnace schematics, we might be able to tell you if it is AC or DC, and whether you can use the Mars Azure motor recommended earlier.
Could you please tell me where I can find the furnace schematics?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1479 posts
218 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Doesn't say the motor is DC.

The link below says it is a GE motor 5SME39SL(0253?)

http://furnace-blower-motor.com/2019/01 ... otor-used/

If you post the furnace schematics, we might be able to tell you if it is AC or DC, and whether you can use the Mars Azure motor recommended earlier.
I found the manual.. would it havw it there?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80841 ... X%20Series
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1479 posts
218 upvotes
This is too stressful.. the furnace is 11 years old. It looks like I’ll be spending $900-1000 on part then another $200 or more for installation.

I just don’t wanna spend $1300 on this repair then something else failing on me during cold winter or in the next 2 years.

Maybe it’s worth spending 3k and replacing the furnace with a new one and getting 10 years warranty..

Now it comes down to if the Keeprite is a good furnace
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6401 posts
2881 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
snipe2014 wrote: Could you please tell me where I can find the furnace schematics?
Usually on the door/panel. Somewhere visible. Just want to see the hooks up into the motor.

If it is an X-13 motor, you can get a Mars Azure for ~ USD 230 delivered, or a Genteq for not that much more (or less).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1479 posts
218 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Usually on the door/panel. Somewhere visible. Just want to see the hooks up into the motor.

If it is an X-13 motor, you can get a Mars Azure for ~ USD 230 delivered, or a Genteq for not that much more (or less).
I just spoke to my guy who checked out the furnace and he said it’s 100% dc motor. But I will see if I can find the schematics
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6401 posts
2881 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
snipe2014 wrote: This is too stressful.. the furnace is 11 years old. It looks like I’ll be spending $900-1000 on part then another $200 or more for installation.

I just don’t wanna spend $1300 on this repair then something else failing on me during cold winter or in the next 2 years.

Maybe it’s worth spending 3k and replacing the furnace with a new one and getting 10 years warranty..

Now it comes down to if the Keeprite is a good furnace
Be adventurous.

I just looked at the X-13 connector kit for the Mars Azure motor (I have one but not in X-13 mode) and it has the same connector as the GE motor mentioned above.

If you are at all handy, I think you can quite confidently install this motor yourself.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16516 posts
18074 upvotes
Oakville
snipe2014 wrote: I just spoke to my guy who checked out the furnace and he said it’s 100% dc motor. But I will see if I can find the schematics
Can you get photos of the other labels on your motor?
thriftshopper wrote: Be adventurous.
I just looked at the X-13 connector kit for the Mars Azure motor (I have one but not in X-13 mode) and it has the same connector as the GE motor mentioned above.
If you are at all handy, I think you can quite confidently install this motor yourself.
Yea, and worst case, you can resell the Azure motor to someone locally.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1479 posts
218 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Be adventurous.

I can try but I want to be sure lol

I will take a picture of the schematics and then see what u guys think. If u’re sure it will work; then I’ll go ahead and buy it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1479 posts
218 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Usually on the door/panel. Somewhere visible. Just want to see the hooks up into the motor.

Does this help??
Images
  • 581B883B-695A-44A7-A8E4-9DA7A39F729C.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8765 posts
1695 upvotes
Best thing to do, is to call Amre or one of of the other parts companies mentioned, give them the make and model of your furnace and have them pull up the parts schematics from their side. Once you get this info, call the other parts guys as well just to confirm and to check pricing.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16792 posts
7034 upvotes
Take your fan down to AMRE (or another furnace parts supply store) and ask if they have a replacement for it. For example AMRE has generic replacements that fit multiple models, here is an example:
https://www.amresupply.com/part/46001-D ... ITCH-WHITE
You will notice towards the bottom of the page they have videos on how to select a furnace motor. You'll need information like horsepower, RPM, voltage, etc.

AMRE (or another furnace supply store) might have a catalog with a replacement for your motor.

If your furnace is 11 years old I would hesitate to just replace it with a new furnace. For my furnace it was relatively simple to remove/replace the motor. So I would at least call around yourself to see what the part costs if you want to attempt yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6401 posts
2881 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Face With Tears Of Joy
snipe2014 wrote: Does this help??
Can't read it. However, did look at the manual from your link (last 3 pages). I am guessing the motor IS a 240V AC motor (has line and hot going in the motor) though one of the resident HVAC can verify.

If the 5-pin connector that goes into the motor looks like this:
WP_20191007_20_04_14_Pro.jpg

the two outer sockets are D-shaped while the 3 inner ones are O-shaped

then I would think that you can use a Mars Azure ECM 3/4-1 HP motor with the X-13 module (included).

It is really quite simple. Mount the motor in the belly band. Attach blower cage to motor while mounting belly band onto blower cage. Reinstall. Plug in the 2 plugs into the motor, train(?) and you're done.
Last edited by thriftshopper on Oct 7th, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1479 posts
218 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Face With Tears Of Joy

Can't read it. However, did look at the manual from your link (last 3 pages). I am guessing the motor IS a 240V AC motor though one of the resident HVAC can verify.

If the 5-pin connector that goes into the motor looks like this:

WP_20191007_20_04_14_Pro.jpg

the two outer sockets are D-shaped while the 3 inner ones are O-shaped

then I would think that you can use a Mars Azure ECM 3/4-1 HP motor with the X-13 module (included).

It is really quite simple. Mount the motor in the belly band. Attach blower cage to motor while mounting belly band onto blower cage. Reinstall. Plug in the 2 plugs into the motor, train(?) and you're done.
I forgot to attach pics of connectors. I guess they don’t help right? U need to see the inside of the pins
Images
  • FCD06EE5-16E3-4683-A364-DB59523E215D.jpeg
  • 4D878B9F-794B-4233-868C-743331B8DCAE.jpeg
  • C0670529-AB2D-4D33-8BAE-D9069BBE3F4E.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8765 posts
1695 upvotes
If getting a replacement motor proves to be nearly impossible, you can look at having the motor repaired at a place like this, https://premierelectric.ca.

My preference would definitely be to replace the motor with a new one first and would only go to repair as a last resort.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Jan 19, 2013
562 posts
347 upvotes
Ottawa
Guys. It’s not a x-13
Blower is dual voltage with the 5 pin connector with jumper.
And 16pin speed connector.
It’s genteq 2.3 ecm. Only oem Goodman has it programmed.
It is a dc motor. It has the internals that convert a/c into dc.
Depends on the board sometimes you can put a aftermarket blower motor in but you need relays and fan speeds set up correctly. That’s critical. And that’s just for temporary.
9/10 times motor is ok. Likely board on the end is burnt. Same part always blows up due to improper furnace installation.
Plus Its against code to replace a part with a inferior one
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1479 posts
218 upvotes
1chinaman wrote: Guys. It’s not a x-13
Blower is dual voltage with the 5 pin connector with jumper.
And 16pin speed connector.
It’s genteq 2.3 ecm. Only oem Goodman has it programmed.
It is a dc motor. It has the internals that convert a/c into dc.
Depends on the board sometimes you can put a aftermarket blower motor in but you need relays and fan speeds set up correctly. That’s critical. And that’s just for temporary.
9/10 times motor is ok. Likely board on the end is burnt. Same part always blows up due to improper furnace installation.
Plus Its against code to replace a part with a inferior one
so you think it's the board?

just fyi, the heater exchange and the top fan works fine.
when i turn on the heat, i see the top fan/motor turn on then the fire ignites but then the blower fan never turns on..
Jan 19, 2013
562 posts
347 upvotes
Ottawa
It’s likely the board internally inside the fan motor.
Yep see this quite often.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1479 posts
218 upvotes
1chinaman wrote: It’s likely the board internally inside the fan motor.
Yep see this quite often.
ohh okay,, so the motor essentially still has to be replaced, right? cause the board is inside the motor.
Jan 19, 2013
562 posts
347 upvotes
Ottawa
Sometimes you can just get the board but most of the time comes all in one, motor and board.