• Jul 23rd, 2020 8:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4385 posts
4280 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Need help on how to backup

I have a home server that have approx 6TB of data that I want to do offline backup
(They are currently running on Drivepool with duplication)

Main reason for offline backup is have a copy that is not always on that I can go back to. I trying to find a way to make it automate process but don't know can it be done.
My idea is, use a external USB3 HDD, connected to a smart switch. The smart switch will be scheduled to power on once a month for 24 hours and power down again.

Anyone know if there are backup tools can use to backup / sync the file to the external HDD when it detect it online?
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6387 posts
1535 upvotes
Montreal
I use Macrium Reflect (Free) to take a compressed image of the disc it backs up. It takes a disc image and verifies a total of about 700GB in about 2 hours for me.
Phils
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14429 upvotes
I'd cron job polling to see if a USB device by-id is connected. Mount if necessary.
Then trigger your backup script to run as it normally would.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4385 posts
4280 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Right now I do it manually, just trying to automate it.

May be I set the smart switch to power on the HDD e.g. at 1am, then backup job start 1:15am??
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)