• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2020 3:08 pm
[OP]
Apr 8, 2020
398 posts
362 upvotes

Need help locating a lga1150 itx mobo or alternative

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zdw44d

Current part list, it's my dedicated server box for plex/Emby etc direct play. Issue is because I cheaped out on the mobo years ago, I now need more sata slots for the internal hard drives.

So basically, I need a lga1150 mini itx motherboard with 4+ sata slots, at I'm hoping under $100? Or $150?

Been searching for an hour, stumped. I'm even open to replacing cpu and mobo entirely with another socket and mini itx mobo, as long as it's within the same budget range.

Any help?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17228 posts
3450 upvotes
Toronto
Is a sata add-in card a possible solution?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3838 posts
1041 upvotes
Only motherboards I found for 4th gen i-core, itx AND with more than 4 sata ports are :

ASUS Z87I-PRO
Asrock Z87E-ITX

But they're a bit over budget even on aliexpress (~$200-$230) Even modern generation boards you'll have a hard time finding 4+ sata ports on anything under ATX sized. But if you go with at least a matx you can do a sata add on card.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2020
398 posts
362 upvotes
coilz wrote: Only motherboards I found for 4th gen i-core, itx AND with more than 4 sata ports are :

ASUS Z87I-PRO
Asrock Z87E-ITX

But they're a bit over budget even on aliexpress (~$200-$230) Even modern generation boards you'll have a hard time finding 4+ sata ports on anything under ATX sized. But if you go with at least a matx you can do a sata add on card.
I think I've come to the same conclusion, damn.

Anything stopping me from a sata addon card in the current config I have now? Not really familiar with them - don't see why it wouldn't work, doesn't it just plug into the PCI-E port?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3838 posts
1041 upvotes
Jokerpersona wrote: I think I've come to the same conclusion, damn.

Anything stopping me from a sata addon card in the current config I have now? Not really familiar with them - don't see why it wouldn't work, doesn't it just plug into the PCI-E port?
Won't work cause we're assuming the one and only PCI-E slot in your motherboard is taken by a graphics card. But if you're using your CPU's integrated graphics then you will have the pci-e slot open for an add on card.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2020
398 posts
362 upvotes
coilz wrote: Won't work cause we're assuming the one and only PCI-E slot in your motherboard is taken by a graphics card. But if you're using your CPU's integrated graphics then you will have the pci-e slot open for an add on card.
Nope, no graphics card being used.

Awesome, guess I can use a sata addon card then!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3838 posts
1041 upvotes
Can your case, the Coolermaster Elite 110 even hold more than 4 hard drives though? Just wondering how you'll pull it off
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3838 posts
1041 upvotes
I mean you case can only hold 4 hard drives... and you already have 4 sata ports. Where will you other drives go? Going for some server build but going for server SAS card?
[OP]
Apr 8, 2020
398 posts
362 upvotes
coilz wrote: I mean you case can only hold 4 hard drives... and you already have 4 sata ports. Where will you other drives go? Going for some server build but going for server SAS card?
My mobo only has 2 sata ports.

Hence the need for the extra ports.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2005
1094 posts
133 upvotes
Jokerpersona wrote: 1 2.5" internal, 3 3.5" internal

All good there :)

Saw people recommending this sata card: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LSI-6Gbps-SAS-H ... 9&LH_BIN=1

Any reasons it wouldn't work in my build? Should be fine yeah?
That seems overkill if all you want to do is add a couple of drives for streaming.

Try this one, it’s what I use for mine to add a couple of sata ports:

https://www.newegg.ca/syba-sy-pex40039- ... 6816124045
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33508 posts
7136 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
audit13 wrote: Is a sata add-in card a possible solution?
ITX only has one PCIe Slot typically used for video. If he has a dedicated video card, there is no more room

@Jokerpersona

I have a similar setup

I used a BitFenix ITX Prodigy case that holds 6 drives and I have an Asus Z87 Plus ITX motherboard that has 6 SATA ports

The other option is to get bigger hard drives.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
Jokerpersona wrote: 1 2.5" internal, 3 3.5" internal

All good there :)

Saw people recommending this sata card: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LSI-6Gbps-SAS-H ... 9&LH_BIN=1

Any reasons it wouldn't work in my build? Should be fine yeah?
If you want it right away just go to Canada Computers and buy whatever card they have in stock. That's what I did before. I think I ended up with a Vantec or Syba card. Worked fine. You can't see them in the bios because the motherboard doesn't know what this card is since the drivers are for use in Windows.

Or, maybe you should think about replacing one of the drives with a larger drive (just as Gee suggested above).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"