• Jul 14th, 2015 5:22 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
18 posts
Ajax, ON

need help for OSAP question

i wasn't able to finish my first year in college due to maternity. I've been off from school for 10 months.So the NSLSC asking me to pay my loan monthly with the full amount i got from Osap which is $21,000.. Now i have the baby I went back to school again on may 25,2015 to finish my first year. now my question is. do i still have to pay the full amount of $21,000 even if im going to finish my program?
6 replies
Mar 12, 2004
224 posts
46 upvotes
Kitchener
You'll probably only get opinions here rather than facts, so I'd make contact with OSAP/NSLSC if I were you. My opinion, you will likely have to pay back and re-apply, which might actually work out in your favour with a new dependent child.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
18 posts
Ajax, ON
cobrajett wrote: You'll probably only get opinions here rather than facts, so I'd make contact with OSAP/NSLSC if I were you. My opinion, you will likely have to pay back and re-apply, which might actually work out in your favour with a new dependent child.

i apply Osap for my Second year. Im just not sure about the full amount that i had on my first year because that was a lot of money to pay :(
thanksfor your reply though. I really appreciate it
Jul 10, 2015
8 posts
1 upvote
I would recommend calling as well. But you should receive the OSAG grant for the first year if you finish the second year. My friend took a year off in between her two years and got the grant. I do not know if the rules have changed though. You have a valid reason for taking a year off. Call and see what can be done.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
18 posts
Ajax, ON
JessicaL997019 wrote: I would recommend calling as well. But you should receive the OSAG grant for the first year if you finish the second year. My friend took a year off in between her two years and got the grant. I do not know if the rules have changed though. You have a valid reason for taking a year off. Call and see what can be done.

wheeeew. that's good to know. yeah. i will definitely call the NSLSC. Thank you so much for replying :)
Oct 4, 2012
270 posts
271 upvotes
Amherstview
I had a similar situation (medical reasons, not a baby). I had to pay a certain amount monthly for 2 months (was out of school 8 months) and I think theres a "pay-interest only" option. You'll need to speak to your financial office at your school and get a "return to full-time studies" form.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2015
18 posts
Ajax, ON
JosephGalt wrote: I had a similar situation (medical reasons, not a baby). I had to pay a certain amount monthly for 2 months (was out of school 8 months) and I think theres a "pay-interest only" option. You'll need to speak to your financial office at your school and get a "return to full-time studies" form.

I am currently back in school even though my baby is a month old. So my school reported to the NSLSC that im back as a FT student. still reflected the full amount to be paid of $21,000.
I only have 2 months leftto finish my first year then off to second year.
(my last year hopefully)

did you end up paying the full amount? or it got deducted by Osog for completing your program? Thanks for your reply :)