Need help Pool demolition/fill out in Laval/greater Montreal

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2019 5:33 pm
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
1 posts

Need help Pool demolition/fill out in Laval/greater Montreal

Hello ladies & gents,

Long story short, bought a house a year ago with a old inground pool. Now it begins to leak out of nowhere... I know finding the leak and repair won't be easy even for the pros. I still love having a pool we spent always every weekend in the pool this summer.

Now I am thinking a plan b, which is to remove it by filling it in with dirt. Was wondering if some of you that are in the greater Montreal has done such project? If so I am looking for references of which company you went and how much do I expect to pay for the demolition. I know it depends on the space and pool size. Mine is a 14x28 I think pool size and the access to my backyard is not very big, standard fence size like in the neighborhood of Laval.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!
9 replies
Jan 15, 2010
535 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
I know you are located in Montreal and I'm in the GTA but we had a guy come out and find the leaks in my pool really easily. He had special equipment that helped him to find them all (I had multiple small cuts in my liner) and patched them up. He also tested my pipes to ensure there were no leaks in them as well. The whole process took probably two hours. He also did my neighbors pool this year and they found the leak in the pipe. They don't fix it but my neighbor was able to fix it easily but digging down to the leak and fixing the pipe.

It might be worth looking to see if somebody local has the same tech if you really want to keep the pool. I'm including his site below just in case anybody finds this helpful as well.

https://www.poolbuoy.ca/
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10365 posts
5568 upvotes
Paris
My Father in law spent about $10k filling his in, including landscaping and grass etc on the old hole in the GTA. So its not cheap, but his pool was old and he figured he had about $8k to put into it with a custom liner, heater, pump and some line work and since it was just the grand kids that used it, she gone.
Banned
Aug 3, 2005
1235 posts
1168 upvotes
How big is this leak? How many inches are you losing a day/week?

There are a lot of good pool leak detection companies that have products/tech to find leaks.....spending $8000-$10000 to fill in a pool sounds excessive.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4685 posts
896 upvotes
rural ontario
I spent $1K to demo my pool and fill it in with dirt. I let it sit over winter to settle and rolled my own grass rolls over it in spring. I removed accessories like the slide and pump myself and sold it all on kajiji
Apr 27, 2015
232 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How did you do it so cheap? Did you have to hire someone to demo, remove pool items and fill in the dirt?

rilles wrote: I spent $1K to demo my pool and fill it in with dirt. I let it sit over winter to settle and rolled my own grass rolls over it in spring. I removed accessories like the slide and pump myself and sold it all on kajiji
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4685 posts
896 upvotes
rural ontario
He just removed things like the liner and steps. The concrete walls he crushed and buried under the dirt. 1 guy with 2 helpers. Accessibility plays a factor too, I had plenty if room at the side of my house for a small caterpillar to get through. If you are 100% hands off then you will pay $$$$$ my area also does not require a permit to demo a pool.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2471 posts
1442 upvotes
Alliston, ON
My in-laws are having their pool filled in in the next week or so. I think they are paying about $8500. That includes demo and disposal of a fairly large deck, solar pool heater, cutting 2 10x10 holes in concrete pool bottom and filling it with roughly 100 tonnes of aggregate, 30yds of topsoil (8" depth) and sod
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1044 posts
500 upvotes
Longueuil
rilles wrote: He just removed things like the liner and steps. The concrete walls he crushed and buried under the dirt. 1 guy with 2 helpers. Accessibility plays a factor too, I had plenty if room at the side of my house for a small caterpillar to get through. If you are 100% hands off then you will pay $$$$$ my area also does not require a permit to demo a pool.
I don't think he is allowed to do that (he would need to check bylaws in Laval). In most cities in the Montréal area, you need to completely remove it, you cannot simply do what you did so it is much more expensive.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10365 posts
5568 upvotes
Paris
JEDI Force wrote: I don't think he is allowed to do that (he would need to check bylaws in Laval). In most cities in the Montréal area, you need to completely remove it, you cannot simply do what you did so it is much more expensive.
Yes I think that is what they had to do too. The $10k I said included a finished backyard when done. A few pavers for a patio extension, sod, and I think some flowerbed work. A pool in a Mississauga backyard IS the backyard, so it was fairly major.