• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2022 6:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6371 posts
6734 upvotes
Center of Canada

Need help with Sirloin pot roast

I make prime ribs for many years, always come out really nice.

However, i recently try to do Sirloin pot roast (wet), but always come out dry, even it was roasted in liquid.

I ate some before they are pot roast, well done (no redness at all) but is very very soft. Thats what i try to recreate.

Anyone know what is the secret?
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
23 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18147 upvotes
ONTARIO
cheapshopper wrote: I make prime ribs for many years, always come out really nice.

However, i recently try to do Sirloin pot roast (wet), but always come out dry, even it was roasted in liquid.

I ate some before they are pot roast, well done (no redness at all) but is very very soft. Thats what i try to recreate.

Anyone know what is the secret?
What temperature do you cook it [mention2=335371 slug=]?[/mention2]
Its usually a long and slow cook that makes it really tender. Its gotta be enclosed too.
Perhaps you arent cooking long enough, or @ too high of a heat.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6371 posts
6734 upvotes
Center of Canada
UrbanPoet wrote: What temperature do you cook it [mention2=335371 slug=]?[/mention2]
Its usually a long and slow cook that makes it really tender. Its gotta be enclosed too.
Perhaps you arent cooking long enough, or @ too high of a heat.
I use duvet oven, 300F for 4 hours. The roast is about 4.5lb
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18147 upvotes
ONTARIO
cheapshopper wrote: I use duvet oven, 300F for 4 hours. The roast is about 4.5lb
What is the texture like after you do that? In detail. How it cuts. Like when you poke, slice, or bite. Hows it feel?
Moisture. Is it juicy? Dry? Visible juices in the meat? Etc

For example if the meat slice is tough or dry with no visible moisture in the meat. Its overcooked too long or too high heat.

If it does have visible moisture and is tough, it needs longer.
Describe more details of how yours taste and feel?

How do I do it? Just by feel. Time and temperature probes are good guides. But once it hits a certain point… i straight up take it out and poke it. and jiggle it. Jiggle it REAL GOOD. It should have a nice beautiful jiggle. Thats when its tender!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6371 posts
6734 upvotes
Center of Canada
UrbanPoet wrote: What is the texture like after you do that? In detail. How it cuts. Like when you poke, slice, or bite. Hows it feel?
Moisture. Is it juicy? Dry? Visible juices in the meat? Etc

For example if the meat slice is tough or dry with no visible moisture in the meat. Its overcooked too long or too high heat.

If it does have visible moisture and is tough, it needs longer.
Describe more details of how yours taste and feel?

How do I do it? Just by feel. Time and temperature probes are good guides. But once it hits a certain point… i straight up take it out and poke it. and jiggle it. Jiggle it REAL GOOD. It should have a nice beautiful jiggle. Thats when its tender!

My outcome is DRY, when I try to slice it , it kind of fall apart but when I eat it, it feel dry. No juice. So I guess I need to lower the tempure.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
I'm not sure you can get the result you're looking for with a sirloin roast.

The only success I've ever had roasting sirloin was dry roasting to medium rare, on the rarer side, and then slicing very thinly for sandwiches.

For pot roast I've always turned to blade, rump or chuck roasts. And gotten the soft, tender result you describe.
Deal Guru
Apr 6, 2005
11686 posts
2910 upvotes
Toronto
Instant pot to soften the inside and then finish in the oven / air fryer for that crust
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6371 posts
6734 upvotes
Center of Canada
bonterra wrote: I'm not sure you can get the result you're looking for with a sirloin roast.

The only success I've ever had roasting sirloin was dry roasting to medium rare, on the rarer side, and then slicing very thinly for sandwiches.

For pot roast I've always turned to blade, rump or chuck roasts. And gotten the soft, tender result you describe.
Let me try to find a rump or blade roast. I try chuck one time, family dont like it, said is too fatty. Thats why I try sirloin.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: Let me try to find a rump or blade roast. I try chuck one time, family dont like it, said is too fatty. Thats why I try sirloin.
Costco usually has blade roasts that are not too fatty but are tender when slow braised.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6371 posts
6734 upvotes
Center of Canada
bonterra wrote: Costco usually has blade roasts that are not too fatty but are tender when slow braised.
Thank you. I will try it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Agree with the others…
(Once again great posts on meats by our resident Meatetarian @UrbanPoet )

It’s got to come down to a few factors :

1- Too hot
2- Too fast
3- Not covered
4- Or the wrong cut

Slow cooked meats are best when they are not the leanest of cuts
Cuz it’s kind of like the fat marbling has to slowly melt and inject the meat with its goodness

So look for cuts like Blade, Chuck, or Rump

Pot Roast is a bit like braising (another great way to cook these same cuts of beef )
You want the meat to break down / tenderize thru low & slow cooking
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4673 upvotes
Between Countries
Rule of thumb is not to use lean beef when braising or stewing. Sirloin is lean. Typically, chuck/shoulder roasts are used. Brisket point and boneless beef finger meat (deboned ribs) also work. Usually, hot and fast and pink for lean. Low and slow and well done for tough and fatty.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
would beating the shit out of it using a meat hammer make it more tender prior to cooking it?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4673 upvotes
Between Countries
evilYoda wrote: would beating the shit out of it using a meat hammer make it more tender prior to cooking it?
I occasionally vigorously beat my meat and also use a Jaccard tenderizer. These manual tenderization methods do tenderize meat (ie, it falls/breaks apart easier) but will not help at all with "dryness" - that's resolved by choice of cut.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
evilYoda wrote: would beating the shit out of it using a meat hammer make it more tender prior to cooking it?
DiceMan wrote: I occasionally vigorously beat my meat and also use a Jaccard tenderizer. These manual tenderization methods do tenderize meat (ie, it falls/breaks apart easier) but will not help at all with "dryness" - that's resolved by choice of cut.
Hard to pound a roast (too thick) so you get any decent results
Meat hammers work best on steaks & thinner cuts

A needle type tenderizer … like a Jaccard will do a better job

But honestly it comes down to cut …

Not enough fat Marbling in this lean sirloin to be useful for pot roast
It’s just gonna dry out and become shoe leather !!!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1995 posts
473 upvotes
I picked up a sirloin top roast just the other day, on Saturday it’s going on the smoker, probably for 4-5 hours @ 220F and get the inside to 145F.
Hopefully it turns out ok.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2022
1118 posts
1660 upvotes
Gta
rotjong wrote: I picked up a sirloin top roast just the other day, on Saturday it’s going on the smoker, probably for 4-5 hours @ 220F and get the inside to 145F.
Hopefully it turns out ok.
If you provide your address I'm sure RFD can arrange a quality control party... Thinking Face
<censored>
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
My aunt used to put a piece of fat across the sirloin roast. But this was many, many decades ago. Meat was very good.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
Wrong cut for pot roast. Any of the "loin" (pork or beef) cuts do not have fat marbling so it will be dry. Use chuck or blade roast instead. Btw I find pot roast tastes much better the next day.

If you want to use a loin because you don't like fat, consider making it like braciole instead.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!