Home & Garden

**Need help for TV wall**

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 10:20 am
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 10, 2018
91 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario

**Need help for TV wall**

Hello.

Any recommendations in GTA for TV wall installation similar to the attached picture?
Thanks
Images
  • 2595F962-372D-485F-B57A-9053E205FE5B.jpeg
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22288 posts
20908 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya...
Make sure you use the right products for whatever you intend to apply
(Backing, adhesive, etc)

Otherwise it’s a disaster waiting to happen

The heavier the surface material the more important this is
Too heavy and not only can you screw up the drywall (would need a plywood backing)
Or ... the flooring / supporting structure ... from the weight

Also, if you do do something like this
Don’t cheap out like the guy did from this pic
You want to go right to the ceiling
And unless you have a massive wall ...
you probably want to go wall to wall too
Or at least to a point where there’s a more natural feeling structural break / end zone
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 10, 2018
91 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
PointsHubby wrote: Ya...
Make sure you use the right products for whatever you intend to apply
(Backing, adhesive, etc)

Otherwise it’s a disaster waiting to happen

The heavier the surface material the more important this is
Too heavy and not only can you screw up the drywall (would need a plywood backing)
Or ... the flooring / supporting structure ... from the weight

Also, if you do do something like this
Don’t cheap out like the guy did from this pic
You want to go right to the ceiling
And unless you have a massive wall ...
you probably want to go wall to wall too
Or at least to a point where there’s a more natural feeling structural break / end zone
Thanks, do you know from where I can buy this wall in GTA or who can help for installation?
Thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22288 posts
20908 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
osu101 wrote: Thanks, do you know from where I can buy this wall in GTA or who can help for installation?
Thanks
Big Box DIY Stores sell this kind of stuff
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Stone-veneer-a ... 4294781310

Go in the store & talk to someone
Explain it’s an interior application ... for look only
Bring photos & measurements of the wall you want to do
A KNOWLEDGEABLE Clerk should be able to give you advice

Also possible that a Big Box DIY Store may offer up a workshop, on line videos, or a printed/ downloadable install how to guide

ALSO ... if your intent is to do an electric fireplace
Or hang a tv on that same wall
Let them know that ... as that’s a lot of extra weight
Cuz the situation will definitely need to be prepared to handle that load too
(Such as a plywood backer board installed ... and not just the clips for the faux stone screwed into the studs)
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 10, 2018
91 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
PointsHubby wrote: Big Box DIY Stores sell this kind of stuff
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Stone-veneer-a ... 4294781310

Go in the store & talk to someone
Explain it’s an interior application ... for look only
Bring photos & measurements of the wall you want to do
A KNOWLEDGEABLE Clerk should be able to give you advice

Also possible that a Big Box DIY Store may offer up a workshop, on line videos, or a printed/ downloadable install how to guide

ALSO ... if your intent is to do an electric fireplace
Or hang a tv on that same wall
Let them know that ... as that’s a lot of extra weight
Cuz the situation will definitely need to be prepared to handle that load too
(Such as a plywood backer board installed ... and not just the clips for the faux stone screwed into the studs)
Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3473 posts
1654 upvotes
Mississauga
Another TV over fireplace? When did this become a thing?.. to me unless your standing and watching tv it's very uncomfortable in the long run.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22288 posts
20908 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TLSRULZ wrote: Another TV over fireplace? When did this become a thing?.. to me unless your standing and watching tv it's very uncomfortable in the long run.
You & me both.

But it’s definitely A THING / TREND now
(Might look good ... but it’s not comfy to watch in most set ups )

As ergonomically it’s a known fact that a tv is best viewed straight on at eye height (eyes in line with mid screen)
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 10, 2018
91 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
PointsHubby wrote: You & me both.

But it’s definitely A THING / TREND now
(Might look good ... but it’s not comfy to watch in most set ups )

As ergonomically it’s a known fact that a tv is best viewed straight on at eye height (eyes in line with mid screen)
Thanks, my plan to install TV only but need to addd wall in the back.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3473 posts
1654 upvotes
Mississauga
redzone wrote: there are some nice wall mounts that pull down. So you can achieve the look but still have a decent tv viewing experience long term.

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Firepla ... 799&sr=8-3
Yes but that defeats the purpose of a fireplace as you can't have it going with the tv pulled down. This is why I took out our fireplace in our family room as it was not working with the furniture layout... we have plans to add one into the living room at a later date.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1644 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Agree, but that depends if you actually use the fireplace. A lot of people just have it as a piece of decor or for guests/ partys when you wouldnt be using the tv anyways.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)