• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2017 11:32 am
[OP]
Jun 13, 2015
60 posts
9 upvotes
Kingston, ON

Need help with upcoming trip to Toronto

I'll be taking my Son to Toronto in a couple weeks and hoping to find some help on what to do and how to get around. I'm planning on getting a hotel in Whitby, Oshawa or Pickering and taking the go train back and forth to Toronto.

We have tickets for WWE Wrestling on both Monday and Tuesday night so we'll have to take the go train both nights and thinking about staying a 3rd night to watch the Jays play.

Can anyone give me any ideas of what else we could do around that area and if theres any other way to get back and forth from our hotel to the ACC? It will cost roughly $35 for both of us each day for travel so $100 for 3 days of Go Transit seems a little pricey. Also I plan on taking him to the HHOF and possibly Real Sports for lunch one of the days but is there anything else around that area where I can take him?

We've already been to Ripleys, CN Tower and done the City Pass a couple years ago so hoping to find something new that we've never seen or been to before.

Thanks in advance!
10 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15006 posts
11534 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Why get a hotel so far? Rather be close to the action....if it's the price, have you considered AIRBNB?
ZeroCool69 wrote: I'll be taking my Son to Toronto in a couple weeks and hoping to find some help on what to do and how to get around. I'm planning on getting a hotel in Whitby, Oshawa or Pickering and taking the go train back and forth to Toronto.

We have tickets for WWE Wrestling on both Monday and Tuesday night so we'll have to take the go train both nights and thinking about staying a 3rd night to watch the Jays play.

Can anyone give me any ideas of what else we could do around that area and if theres any other way to get back and forth from our hotel to the ACC? It will cost roughly $35 for both of us each day for travel so $100 for 3 days of Go Transit seems a little pricey. Also I plan on taking him to the HHOF and possibly Real Sports for lunch one of the days but is there anything else around that area where I can take him?

We've already been to Ripleys, CN Tower and done the City Pass a couple years ago so hoping to find something new that we've never seen or been to before.

Thanks in advance!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9092 posts
2982 upvotes
Mississauga
Are you driving? What about driving into Scarborough and parking at a TTC, and just taking the subway? I think you can purchase day passes and this will enable you to take the TTC subway and streetcars and buses unlimited per day.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2009
1194 posts
744 upvotes
It seems like you've already done all the touristy stuff that first time visitors to Toronto do. In the immediate area, there's also the Toronto Islands (not sure if they are open or not due to flooding this year) and St. Lawrence Market that is not too far away.

I would recommend just walking around some of the downtown neighbourhoods such as Chinatown, Kensington Market, Yorkville and the Annex as well, but this would depend on how old your son is.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22868 posts
21720 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We've done both in the past.

The train to & from Kingston is a good option if you plan to stay in Downtown TO.

But if you opt to drive, and commute in that is good too.

That is our preferred choice now if we are going to drive to TO and only spend one day / night in the city, and need to be in the downtown core (ie Concerts - Sporting Events - Convention Centre - Exhibition Place).

Traffic, Hotel & Parking Costs just don't make it worthwhile for us if we are only in the city for the day or a few hours.

We tend to stay in the same stretch you are considering, and hop on the Go Train. Easy Peasy. And not all that expensive (buy a Day Pass... Think they have them for Adults / Kids / Families... Check their website for more info)

We stay at whatever Hotel Chain has the best deal on (join their Loyalty Program for more info). In the past we've been at the Best Western in Oshawa, and the 2 Hilton properties in Ajax. All good. Monday to Thursday at Homewood Suites, and Dinner is included (see Hotel Website for more info / meal of the day)

ADD - with a car you can also easily explore attractions on the east side of the city... The Toronto Zoo comes to mind as one possibility.
Jun 7, 2009
902 posts
682 upvotes
Toronto
Drive and TTC sounds like an option if one does not want to pay full freight for GO, unless you're drinking.

Drive to a closer GO Station is another option as well.

I'm surprised Real Sports gets as much business as it does. But the giant screen is a big draw I suppose.

No cheap hotels closer?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, why chose to live so far apart from the city?
If you are going to stay in a hotel anyway, stay somewhere closer.

Many years before I even moved to GTA, I stayed in Hotel at Pickering and try to save $15 per night, it is so not worth it. I got jammed on 401 from Morningside til 404 and took me way longer to arrive to places I wanted to go. I know you said taking GO, but taking GO Bus/Train to downtown will cost you way more than a TTC token for sure.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5393 posts
7670 upvotes
Ontario
TTC day pass is only for one person on weekdays. The group pass portion is only valid on weekends. Believe me, I have visited Toronto with a parent using public transit and we pay cash or buy TTC tokens as the pass is not good for two of us on a weekday. I'd love to be able to use a pass when travelling with someone during the week.
If OP's son is 12 yrs of age or younger, he gets free rides on the TTC. http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Pass ... /index.jsp

Are sports your main mutual interest? What other things do you both enjoy? I'd suggest the Japan Foundation gallery for its current photography exhibit. Also cool is to see its library. The Toronto Reference Library is nearby as well-gift shop sells graphic novels (there was a Comic Art festival in May at the library).
http://jftor.org/event/world-heritage-in-japan/all/
https://page-panel.myshopify.com/

There is a Japanese textile exhibit at the Textile Museum but I sense that may not appeal.

Taste of the Danforth will be on in early August if you enjoy Greek food, music and culture.
https://www.facebook.com/TasteDanforth

if your son is an older teen (like a year or two away from post-secondary education), why not considering visiting various campuses during the day? Spring/Summer semester means many services close around 4:30pm on weekdays but there could be things of interest to see (buildings, art, student centre, cafeteria, etc).

Rogers Cup will be at the Aviva Centre at York University. There's a sponsored family fun community weekend in the first week of August but seems geared to young children: http://www.rogerscup.com/characters-paw ... k-toronto/
Fall is here!😃
Dec 4, 2013
65 posts
119 upvotes
Whitby
PLEASE pm me way too many links to post Winking Face
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12819 posts
2922 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely look into Air bnb a bit further out such as East York or Scarboroough if cost is an issue. Even around downtown, there are basement apartments that are cheap. Condos too. There's a new video game/games place at the old Leon's by the CN Tower.

Just walking around Harbourfront is nice too. There's the Distillery. Even walking around Eaton Center is always fun for a kid.