Food & Drink

Need Help! Whipping cream become soft and runny after 3 horus

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2019 12:30 am
[OP]
Feb 19, 2019
0 posts

Need Help! Whipping cream become soft and runny after 3 horus

I use Natrel 35% cream to make my whip cream. It was prefect and firm when finished. However it become soft and runny after I put it in the fridge for 3 hours. Anyone know why is this happening? How do I fix it? Please help!
15 replies
Jun 2, 2012
316 posts
299 upvotes
NORTH YORK
You need to add some sort of stabilizer.

You can use different kinds depending on how long you want it to last.

Use icing sugar (it has cornstarch) instead of regular sugar when whipping. This will stabilize it for a few hours.

Or add pure cornstarch if you want slightly longer.

If you want to have it hold for decorating, you need gelatin (agar agar i guess if you can’t use gelatin? Not 100% sure).

I use about a teaspoon for every cup of whipping cream. You have to bloom the gelatin (add room temp water, whisk, and let sit for a bit, then warm it up (not hot just warm) and whisk until all the little gelatin grains are gone. Whip cream and sugar until soft peaks, add a 1/4 cup partially whipped cream to the gelatin to equalize the temp and dump the gelatin/cream back into the mixer. Mix until stiff peaks. It will take a little longer than normal, but watch closely as it is easy to overwhip.

The gelatin cream will taste the same but will hold for a few days.

Google how to stabilize whipping cream if the above not clear enough.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7069 posts
4212 upvotes
Victoria, BC
You can use dry milk powder in it to help stabilize it. I usually use gelatin if I really want it to last though.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3240 posts
18408 upvotes
I have a question, why did you whip your whipping cream and then leave it for three hours? why didn't you just whip it at the time of use?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4030 posts
2151 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote: Also playing the song "Whip It" by Devo is said to help while whipping your cream.:)
WTF!!
When I read OP, this was the first thought/joke that hit my mind, and I was ready to post.
Thankfully, I read through before doing so.
Well played, good sir.....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9322 posts
1731 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: WTF!!
When I read OP, this was the first thought/joke that hit my mind, and I was ready to post.
Thankfully, I read through before doing so.
Well played, good sir.....
Lol. Could not resist.:)
Dec 8, 2015
264 posts
131 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
StevenL11852 wrote: I use Natrel 35% cream to make my whip cream. It was prefect and firm when finished. However it become soft and runny after I put it in the fridge for 3 hours. Anyone know why is this happening? How do I fix it? Please help!
Add icing sugar to it.

Tip: in future make sure your bowl is very clean and not greasy. I always chill my bowl in fridge or freezer for a bit before I add whipping cream to it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3298 upvotes
gh05t wrote: Apparently this product counters the disadvantages of using corn starch, cream of tartar and gelatin to hold your whip cream firm.

https://www.oetker.ca/ca-en/our-product ... ip-it.html

Also playing the song "Whip It" by Devo is said to help while whipping your cream.:)
Yep I've used that, it's good. German brand; whipped cream cakes are big in Germany and that's the stuff you need to keep them from wilting.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4012 posts
1172 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
just a side note, if you want whipping cream that stays stiff even after 3 hours, use cool whip, but a warning, its not real whipping cream as its a bi-product of oil, they use oil and sugar so theres no cream in those aerosol cans or the cool whip in a margarine tub, is not real cream its also sugar and oil too, but it lasts a long time and holds its shape. thats why its like that
Hi
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3240 posts
18408 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: just a side note, if you want whipping cream that stays stiff even after 3 hours, use cool whip, but a warning, its not real whipping cream as its a bi-product of oil, they use oil and sugar so theres no cream in those aerosol cans or the cool whip in a margarine tub, is not real cream its also sugar and oil too, but it lasts a long time and holds its shape. thats why its like that
Tastes better too :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7069 posts
4212 upvotes
Victoria, BC
markopas wrote: Tastes better too :)
You must have no taste buds if you think cool whip tastes better than real whipped cream.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3240 posts
18408 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: You must have no taste buds if you think cool whip tastes better than real whipped cream.
Bahahha
Aug 18, 2013
362 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
You can try adding marscapone to your whipping cream to stabilize it
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3240 posts
18408 upvotes
Personally, I like using gelatin sheets but any of the above methods can work if not available.